DJ is going to be GOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
The word is, he’s figured it out. T-Rob has been coaching him up. He’s comfortable in press now and his mental errors are going away. I’m told he is playing up to his measurable’s. His confidence is through the roof and we’re in for a surprise. I’m told he will be getting drafted. He’s not the fastest kid in pads, but minus his lack of football speed, everything else is coming together. His peers trust him. It’s time to believe he’s going to be an asset, not a liability. Lastly, he’s got hands and will catch what’s thrown his way.
View attachment 146573

Kid has the talent. His head is what worried me.

I know we're going back two years, but his performance in that Georgia Tech game was abysmal—he flat out quit. Redeemed himself at Pitt a week later, when he felt he had to silence his critics, and then sort of went back into his shell.

Hopefully T-Rob is bringing out the dog in him, which is what that position requires—that, and a short memory. Rooting for him.

Somebody was messing with heavy duty stuff last night. Ivey's just not a good CB no matter how you slice it. Now TRob might make him serviceable, but coaching can't change slow feet, stiff hips and lack of closing speed.
💯 to the final sentence. My only hope was T Rob making him somewhat competent as a rotational db. Definitely can't fix stiff hips & zero closing speed.

Advertisement
DJ the spectator who stops to watch the receiver streak down the field for a touchdown?

Ivey had some technique issues and confidence issues. Good coaching can fix both. Ive never thought he was nearly as bad as the mob does, it’s just when he ***** up he does it big.

I know for a fact coaches and players were surprised at how he looked in spring , noticeable difference. I mentioned it once in an update but I didn’t make a big deal of going forward because I knew what the responses would be.

Watching the spring game I could see he looked really good , well until Avantae **** near dislocated his ankle on Roosters td run. Then everyone here ripped him for missing the tackle lol.

We’ll see more press which will help all of our cb’s, it’s criminal they didn’t do this more or were coaches to do it. I never crown anybody but I expect a good year and wouldn’t be shocked if he is drafted , but he’ll have to Do it when the lights are on.

As I’ve said , I’m confident in the cb room with recruiting and coaching because we finally have somebody who has a clue what they’re doing and that’s huge.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The word is, he’s figured it out. T-Rob has been coaching him up. He’s comfortable in press now and his mental errors are going away. I’m told he is playing up to his measurable’s. His confidence is through the roof and we’re in for a surprise. I’m told he will be getting drafted. He’s not the fastest kid in pads, but minus his lack of football speed, everything else is coming together. His peers trust him. It’s time to believe he’s going to be an asset, not a liability. Lastly, he’s got hands and will catch what’s thrown his way.
View attachment 146573
Lmao let’s wait til games are played before we say he’s figured it out or anything.

It’s good to see Ivey step up, even if he only provides depth at the position this season. I am curious to see what happens when Blades is healthy. IMHO, Blades starts, but Ivey and Couch are great starter-level backups who will get a ton of reps and should use their eligibility to return for the ‘22 season

Advertisement
If DJ Ivy has a competent season this fall it will come off as much of as an indictment of the previous position coach as it will a success story of the current position coach.

At least that's how I expect to see it.

I put it more on Blake and Manny playing that bullfighter coverage instead of letting them boys cut loose and jam up guys on the line. That’s the style Mike came up in and he could have easily taught it and our guys would have played better. Scheme determines technique.

The upgrade with T Rob is with personality. He can affect guys emotionally and raise their level of play in a way Rumph never could.

The upside to all this is that slowly but surely, Manny is flexible and willing to change things that are not working.

At some point you have to look at coaching. When someone has all the intangibles and continues to make mental errors, what else could it be? I think T Rob will allow us to separate who is actually talented and who isn’t. Coaching won’t be the issue if our secondary still sucks this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back