DJ is going to be GOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is a good reminder of why ‘nfl stats’ are really over-rated talking about roster talent. Our big on-field issues have been depth amd experience, obviously (because as we know, guys still get drafted). Maybe Ivey turns it around and makes the nfl. If so, someone will look back and say we had talent on our ‘18-‘20 teams at CB because Ivey. But obviously he wasn’t ready. We can blame the staff for not making him ready as a frosh, but if we had depth and experience, we’d not keep forcing unprepared talent to play. Obviously we all want plug and play 5*s, but it sure would help to have enough ready to play guys with experience until we get them.

Advertisement
Fair point. I was just concerned that fans would be putting unrealistic expectations onto T Rob. And Ivey for that matter. The guy is what he is, but for sure a good coach can make him a bit better.

Let's just don't go expecting to see him all of a sudden next season as a shut down CB making first team All ACC. That's just not happening. But if he can take that next step, our secondary will be so much better for it.

OK, I can agree with that.

All I really care about is whether his own position coach has faith in Ivey. I don't think T-Rob got to where he is today by over-inflating these kids' heads. If he can break Ivey out of his funk, that's what we need.

Not every CB is equally fast. If Ivey can use his length and physicality, and eliminate his mistakes, he'll be good, not just "adequate". Obviously, the proof is in the pudding, but I'm cautiously optimistic that T-Rob can coach up our corners to play more confidently and aggressively.

Brandon Mcgee was another one who frustrated people for 3 years, then had a solid senior season and ended up getting drafted and hanging in the NFL for a bit
In reality, most kids look best as juniors and seniors. Under-physically talented kids get enough experience and talented but unrefined kids get experience (and their talent allows them to become draftable). Kids who are both physically talented and game ready early are high 4* amd 5* kids and we just don’t get enough of them.

200.gif

Awww, you're still mad at me, cupcake?

Feel free to take the same challenge I issued to Sphinx, and describe the "extreme position" that I took.

Advertisement
The word is, he’s figured it out. T-Rob has been coaching him up. He’s comfortable in press now and his mental errors are going away. I’m told he is playing up to his measurable’s. His confidence is through the roof and we’re in for a surprise. I’m told he will be getting drafted. He’s not the fastest kid in pads, but minus his lack of football speed, everything else is coming together. His peers trust him. It’s time to believe he’s going to be an asset, not a liability. Lastly, he’s got hands and will catch what’s thrown his way.
View attachment 146573
:duke-uni2:

I'm not big on Ivey. But I will give him props for not letting Clemson's kicker catch him after that FG block return TD :ROFLMAO:

Kid has the talent. His head is what worried me.

I know we're going back two years, but his performance in that Georgia Tech game was abysmal—he flat out quit. Redeemed himself at Pitt a week later, when he felt he had to silence his critics, and then sort of went back into his shell.

Hopefully T-Rob is bringing out the dog in him, which is what that position requires—that, and a short memory. Rooting for him.
What talent have u seen? What's talent? His speed? His bad hips? Super bad hips....he just has a frame.......and if his speed were good and his hips were good he would not be playing here.

Define talent.....cause I know his brain is saying I need to cover this guy but his body can't. So is it talent or head?

Last edited:
Advertisement
You never want to hear a cornerbacks #1 weakness is lack of speed, usually a death sentence
Facts....if your weakness is speed just call them a jag.....I don't care if he has Sean Taylors frame if he's slow he's slow. If ST ran a 4.8 that would change him as a player completely

He better be.. with Blades supposedly coming back, Ivey will have to work for whatever he gets! Stevenson isnt going anywhere and Blades was our best CB last year. It's now or never for DJ.

Also, couch should be nipping at his heels !

Advertisement
Somebody was messing with heavy duty stuff last night. Ivey's just not a good CB no matter how you slice it. Now TRob might make him serviceable, but coaching can't change slow feet, stiff hips and lack of closing speed.
Coaching and training literally can change slow feet, stiff hips, and lack of closing speed.

OP trying to will it into existence. Nothing would make this board happier than to have another solid CB (would have helped more when we really needed it). But how do you feel when he goes out there in press coverage if we are down to Bama by less than 7 on 3rd and long with a few minutes left in the game? Give me an undersized Couch at that point. Perhaps he can prove himself over the season. But until then, I have PTSD about him being relied on.

Advertisement
Glad to hear it. Sometimes a coaching change is whats needed. Happens all the time in every sport.

OP trying to will it into existence. Nothing would make this board happier than to have another solid CB (would have helped more when we really needed it). But how do you feel when he goes out there in press coverage if we are down to Bama by less than 7 on 3rd and long with a few minutes left in the game? Give me an undersized Couch at that point. Perhaps he can prove himself over the season. But until then, I have PTSD about him being relied on.
I can’t “will” anything into existence. If I’m told DJ is good, he’s good. The narrative has changed. I don’t have the time or desire to make **** up. I’m telling you what I’m being told. I don’t have a horse in this race. The things and people I care about, aren’t for public consumption. TC is going to be a beast. He’s still tiny fwiw. The #1 CB is Tyrique. There’s no one else I’d want to be covering anyone when it matters most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back