Discussion at work today - Banning FCS games

NDSU has also beat Iowa, K-State, and 3 other P5 schools. It's more of NDSU being a **** good football team, than P5 schools being bad.

NDSU would be a pretty good FBS program but their AD is ***** and wont step up.

Advertisement
They sign for maybe $400K and that is the good ones then when you factor out logistics, travel, lodging, and meals, they are maybe taking home half that amount. If you need $200K to balance your budget maybe you shouldnt be in the athletics business.
You're wrong as usual, but there are articles that you can read to understand why these games happen. $400k is on the low end for a pay game. Some of these schools are walking away with $800k or more than a million. If you can't understand how that can fuel a small athletic department, especially considering this may occur every year, then I don't know what to tell you.

Appalachian State walked away with $1.2 million from that game against Penn State. That's huge for that school.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/22/11648368/scheduling-cupcake-guarantee-games-cost
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...worth-175-million-guarantees-ncaa/1131488002/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshmo...-win-with-big-money-blood-games/#2acd12144df5

Most P5 schools arent even making money either
Most P5 football programs turn a profit as a result of huge TV contracts but it's not enough to cover the entire athletic department's costs despite what a lot of people think.

What? Competitive with what? Ivy league doesn't offer athletic scholarships at all. They only have need based scholarships for students. I don't even know what you're suggesting with this post. The vast majority of kids who play sports at Ivy league schools come from money, so their parents are footing the bill anyways.

Not true at all not even close to being true.

There is a ton of smart low income kids that play in those leagues who turned down P5 and G5 PWO offers to play in the Ivy League.

Not true at all not even close to being true.

There is a ton of smart low income kids that play in those leagues who turned down P5 and G5 PWO offers to play in the Ivy League.
Point to the numbers on this? Or else you're talking out of your ***. I went to an Ivy League school. I was recruited to play football at an Ivy League school. The majority of the kids on the team are not low income kids. Maybe a quarter of the team. And when you look at sports outside of football, there are even less low income kids on the rosters. You don't know what you're talking about, man.

Advertisement
You're wrong as usual, but there are articles that you can read to understand why these games happen. $400k is on the low end for a pay game. Some of these schools are walking away with $800k or more than a million. If you can't understand how that can fuel a small athletic department, especially considering this may occur every year, then I don't know what to tell you.

Appalachian State walked away with $1.2 million from that game against Penn State. That's huge for that school.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/22/11648368/scheduling-cupcake-guarantee-games-cost
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...worth-175-million-guarantees-ncaa/1131488002/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshmo...-win-with-big-money-blood-games/#2acd12144df5

Did you even read the articles??? Go sit down

They are talking about payouts between P5 and G5 schools.

The one time an FCS school was listed UTC it was a payment of $450K.

I'd be interested in seeing how they'd fare vs tougher competition week in and week out.

I guess he doesn't see the benefit, they pack their "stadium" and are constant winners. In ND they would have to build a new stadium to step up to meet minimum capacity requirements and it would have to be enclosed. I think it's a smart move actually. They would make more money, but they would also spend more.

Point to the numbers on this? Or else you're talking out of your ***. I went to an Ivy League school. I was recruited to play football at an Ivy League school. The majority of the kids on the team are not low income kids. Maybe a quarter of the team. And when you look at sports outside of football, there are even less low income kids on the rosters. You don't know what you're talking about, man.

At an Ivy League school.

I work with a kid who played at Harvard recently thats from South East San Diego. He had PWO offers from all the Cali schools but choose Harvard. You dont think UPENN recruits the smart inner city kids from Philly?? Come on now

I'd be interested in seeing how they'd fare vs tougher competition week in and week out.

I guess he doesn't see the benefit, they pack their "stadium" and are constant winners. In ND they would have to build a new stadium to step up to meet minimum capacity requirements and it would have to be enclosed. I think it's a smart move actually. They would make more money, but they would also spend more.

I think they would have a run in the MAC similar to Marshall when we moved up.

I think they would be competitive in the Mountain West but Financially I dont think they would survive because of the Travel.

Advertisement
What opportunities? I guess those are the only options those kids have? What about the D1 schools that dont have football

You said if they need to play d1 schools to help their budget then they shouldnt have athletics. Thats the only chance a lot of those kids have for a higher education.

Not true, they take home maybe $200K

I suggest you actually research it and report back with something other than vague opinions unsupported by facts. Facts thats are easily discoverable. Such as the link below.

Revenues and Expenses - NCAA.org
PDFhttps://www.ncaa.org › default › files

At an Ivy League school.

I work with a kid who played at Harvard recently thats from South East San Diego. He had PWO offers from all the Cali schools but choose Harvard. You dont think UPENN recruits the smart inner city kids from Philly?? Come on now
You work with one kid so that makes it right? Obviously they recruit some inner city schools. That is not the majority of the roster. Not sure what you don't understand about that. The majority of the kids are kids from upper middle class families.

I'll save my opinion on paying players for another post, but schools intentionally sending their kids to be lambs to the slaughter, just for a paycheck, sure does blur that line.

Anyway, fcs games should NEVER be played after a certain point in the season. Fcking November?! The SEC goes unpunished for doing it & Idk why ever school in the P5 doesn't do it as well. Team X struggled in their November conference road game, but SEC team Y looked good beating ******** state by 41. So lets bump the SEC school up.

Why do people fall for this sht?!

Advertisement
Just wait until one of these 150lb FCS running backs gets a career ending injury from getting hammered by a Bama or Clemson DL/LB all game. Then see how good it was for them.

hes also getting a degree he may not have had without the scholarship. for those kids, they're not playing football to get to the NFL (the kids at UM, Bama, UF, etc are), theyre playing to get their degree and move on with their lives and MAYBE a shot in the league.

hes also getting a degree he may not have had without the scholarship. for those kids, they're not playing football to get to the NFL (the kids at UM, Bama, UF, etc are), theyre playing to get their degree and move on with their lives and MAYBE a shot in the league.

What if he played in the IVY, Pioneer, or the Patriot League. None scholarship league. What if he was playing in the SWAC or the MEAC where the players barely even get their books paid for?

Also you do know most FCS players arent even on full athletic scholarships. The whole "Well he wouldnt be in college if it wasnt for football" is by far the dumbest argument and mindset ever. That argument dies when discussing FCS ball.

I suggest you actually research it and report back with something other than vague opinions unsupported by facts. Facts thats are easily discoverable. Such as the link below.

Revenues and Expenses - NCAA.org
PDFhttps://www.ncaa.org › default › files

Would help if you actually linked the site

Advertisement
I work with a few people that attended or played football at FBS schools and the discussion was surrounded by UF playing 2 FCS games this year.

My opinion is FBS teams shouldnt be allowed to play FCS schools.

Your thoughts???

I'm not a Gator fan, but the 2019 season is a bad example to use. I don't really blame them considering they have these games,

Miami
FSU
Auburn
LSU
Georgia

I'm not a Gator fan, but the 2019 season is a bad example to use. I don't really blame them considering they have these games,

Miami
FSU
Auburn
LSU
Georgia
This is the same UF that dropped us so they could play a more national schedule then played Montana State.

I just hope UT Martin hands them an upset and they start out 2-0. Then their season get worse from there.

What if he played in the IVY, Pioneer, or the Patriot League. None scholarship league. What if he was playing in the SWAC or the MEAC where the players barely even get their books paid for?

Also you do know most FCS players arent even on full athletic scholarships. The whole "Well he wouldnt be in college if it wasnt for football" is by far the dumbest argument and mindset ever. That argument dies when discussing FCS ball.

The IVY have the need based money allotments so if you play football for the Ivy league and can't pay for it they will give you partial or full "scholarships" also the patriot league is a great academic conference so if you graduate from one of their schools you will probably be set for life. The SWAC and MEAC suck both academically and athletically so the only reason you would go to a school like that is if you really love football and that is the same thing as someone playing for a d3 school.

Advertisement
Back