Discussion at work today - Banning FCS games

Drewny1

Redshirt Freshman
Banned
I work with a few people that attended or played football at FBS schools and the discussion was surrounded by UF playing 2 FCS games this year.

My opinion is FBS teams shouldnt be allowed to play FCS schools.

Your thoughts???

Advertisement
I agree with the above posters. A lot of times that payout for playing a Power 5 team is huge for their athletic budgets and keeps them afloat.

Also, like others have said, UF playing two FCS opponents in one year is joke. But there's a reason the NCAA only allows one of those wins to count towards bowl eligibility.

Advertisement
Obviously I give you **** for everything you say but this is one of the smartest things you have said. 100% agree here. Those games are about the money for the FCS teams, but there is no excuse for teams like Bama, Clemson, LSU, and the Florida schools for example to schedule teams like Chattanooga, The Citadel, Savannah State, UT-Martin, and Towson.

For many FCS schools that payout is the only way they can afford to field a team. BUT, I do think limiting to 1 FCS school/year would be a good idea.

Nothing wrong with playing one, something wrong with playing two.

With that said it is good for the sport of football as alot of these FCS schools rely on these games to fund their season.

My thing is this, if you need to rely upon 1 game to balance your entire budget for the year, maybe just maybe your school shouldnt be offering athletics.

I agree with the above posters. A lot of times that payout for playing a Power 5 team is huge for their athletic budgets and keeps them afloat.

Also, like others have said, UF playing two FCS opponents in one year is joke. But there's a reason the NCAA only allows one of those wins to count towards bowl eligibility.

Most FCS programs dont get any more than $400K. We arent talking Big money here because most G5 programs get anywhere from $700K(Usually a H-H) to $1.8M for 1 game/No Return.

Playing 1 FCS team a year early in the season benefits both teams. The FBS team gets an extra scrimmage and the FCS team gets a nice payout and possibly their only opportunity to be on tv.

Theres no need to play multiple unless you're afraid of competition. That's the only reason I can think of to drop a team like Miami for a team like Montana State.

Advertisement

Even more logs to be put on my fire of hate For UF

For many FCS schools that payout is the only way they can afford to field a team. BUT, I do think limiting to 1 FCS school/year would be a good idea.

Turn them into exhibitions and allow a second one in the spring in addition to one in the fall preseason. You've just doubled the money for everyone and gotten rid of the SEC/SOCON BS week that brings this up every year.

Playing 1 FCS team a year early in the season benefits both teams. The FBS team gets an extra scrimmage and the FCS team gets a nice payout and possibly their only opportunity to be on tv.

Theres no need to play multiple unless you're afraid of competition. That's the only reason I can think of to drop a team like Miami for a team like Montana State.

I see no benefit for an FBS team to play an FCS school.

You want an easy scrimmage, play Eastern Michigan or Charlotte not The Citadel.

Here's hoping it bites them in the butt this year.

Advertisement
I see no benefit for an FBS team to play an FCS school.

You want an easy scrimmage, play Eastern Michigan or Charlotte not The Citadel.
It's a bigger benefit for the FCS team. Even though FBS is obviously the better of the two, its in everyone's interest to have a healthy FCS.

Advertisement
Not only balancing your budget to fund many other sports, student-athletes but getting exposure for your university. No brainer for them.

Advertisement
Back