Discussion at work today - Banning FCS games

I was saying you go to the Ivys because you graduate and can get a good job.

LOL...you can go to most any school and get a good job, school is what you make of it.

No difference between the dude jumpin' outta FAMU with a Pharmacy degree making a good 5 figure salary, and the dude jumpin' outta Harvard or whatever making a good 5 figure salary.

Advertisement
I mean if the FBS schools continue to schedule them it must be beneficial to the FBS school in some way(s).

If the FCS school continues to accept the offer to play the FBS school, it must be beneficial to them in some way(s).

LOL...you can go to most any school and get a good job, school is what you make of it.

No difference between the dude jumpin' outta FAMU with a Pharmacy degree making a good 5 figure salary, and the dude jumpin' outta Harvard or whatever making a good 5 figure salary.

I guess its just a coincidence that the Ivy league schools and Stanford pump out WAY more high paid graduates than any other school. I guess its just a coincidence that the elite schools like Duke, Notre Dame, UVA, Vanderbilt, pump out way more high paid graduates than the rest of them.

That is completely false. First if you go to FAMU you basically closed off any chance of ever getting a multi million, 20 hour a week job. Those types of jobs are so competitive ONLY kids from the elite schools are going to get their foot in the door to work up to a job like that.

Now lets say your goal in life is to make 90k a year. The FAMU kid may make 90k working 40 hours a week at CVS, but the Harvard kid would be able to get a 90k a year job working part time. Or they could go get a job making 150k right out of school and work their way up in a couple years to making over a million and then retire at 35. If they both apply to the same job the Harvard Grad will win the job 100% of the time.

so for the FAMU grad to make at the most 120k working retail pharm, he needed 3-4 years undergrad and 4 years of pharm school, while the harvard grad can make 120+ starting after just 3-4 years of undergrad. see where the diff is? that's why those ivy league and other powerhouse non ivy schools are important

Arguing against FCS - FBS matchups is arguing to take a free education away from thousands of kids every year who otherwise would never be able to go to college.

That said, everything UF does is cowardly and playing two FBS games in one season is no different. Just goes to show how much they know we own them when they feel the only way to play us is to make up for it with two FBS in one season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It's interesting that nobody suggests taking a week off.

If you need to play a scrimmage or have an easy week, go ahead and do that. There's no need to hang 70 on Ga Southern while you're at it. Yes, I know it helps keep these programs afloat, but maybe getting pummeled by dudes twice their size isn't the best way to fund a program. It's like teams that end up losing money so they can go to a bowl game. I think it's time to reevaluate how much these things are worth and why we do them.

Arguing against FCS - FBS matchups is arguing to take a free education away from thousands of kids every year who otherwise would never be able to go to college.

That said, everything UF does is cowardly and playing two FBS games in one season is no different. Just goes to show how much they know we own them when they feel the only way to play us is to make up for it with two FBS in one season.

Here yall go with this dumb *** argument of "It takes a free education away"

How many scholarships do you think Wofford is paying for with their $400k payout from a school like Clemson. The yearly Tuition at Wofford is a little under $39K times that by 65 scholarships and that comes to about $2.3M. And that just football scholarships. Yall still think the 1 game at a payout under $500k and then you deduct logistics, travel, lodging, meals and stipend is still going to cover the full scholarships for the year? Come on now.

It's interesting that nobody suggests taking a week off.

If you need to play a scrimmage or have an easy week, go ahead and do that. There's no need to hang 70 on Ga Southern while you're at it. Yes, I know it helps keep these programs afloat, but maybe getting pummeled by dudes twice their size isn't the best way to fund a program. It's like teams that end up losing money so they can go to a bowl game. I think it's time to reevaluate how much these things are worth and why we do them.

Well Ga Southern beat Florida without completing a pass as a FCS team lol

Advertisement
Well Ga Southern beat Florida without completing a pass as a FCS team lol

And that's a glorious thing that shall never be forgotten.

But 97% of the games are uncompetitive and just serve as a chance to let your scrubs play. I get why D1 teams want that, I'm just not sure why the little guys think taking that beating is worth it. I guess if you love to play football and the price is letting bama run a train on you once a year then maybe it's worth it.

Here yall go with this dumb *** argument of "It takes a free education away"

How many scholarships do you think Wofford is paying for with their $400k payout from a school like Clemson. The yearly Tuition at Wofford is a little under $39K times that by 65 scholarships and that comes to about $2.3M. And that just football scholarships. Yall still think the 1 game at a payout under $500k and then you deduct logistics, travel, lodging, meals and stipend is still going to cover the full scholarships for the year? Come on now.

No. That’s not what I said. But $500k, according to your example, is 20% of the team’s budget for the season, more or less. Name another way an FBS program can generate that kind of revenue in one day.

I don’t get why this is such a critically important issue for some. It can’t be disputed that pay games make up a massive portion of the revenue in a given year for an FBS program. Someone in this thread made the argument that if a program can’t survive without these pay games, that school shouldn’t have a football program. That is, in fact, an argument for reducing the total pool of athletic scholarships available.

I get why UF scheduling a pathetic schedule is annoying to some. I don’t get why some people are so bothered by the long generally accepted practice of P5 programs scheduling a cupcake game once a season which also benefits these FBS programs and athletes.

Advertisement
And that's a glorious thing that shall never be forgotten.

But 97% of the games are uncompetitive and just serve as a chance to let your scrubs play. I get why D1 teams want that, I'm just not sure why the little guys think taking that beating is worth it. I guess if you love to play football and the price is letting bama run a train on you once a year then maybe it's worth it.

What beating though? You can barely hit a dude now without being kicked out of a game. All this beating talk is overrated. Considring its other fcs programs beating mtfers by 50 as well...might as well get a check in the process.

Advertisement
Back