Director of sports science

Yes, this is what I have been hearing too.

That's why the "UHealth money" thing was such a ridiculous misdirection by the press. When it comes to THESE ISSUES (sports science and recovery), there is absolutely NO "conflict of interest" in how the money is being used and directed. There is NOTHING wrong with spending a lot more money in Athletics that will also create synergistic benefits for UHealth.
The general fund of the University supplemented UHealth for years. That’s no longer the case because UHealth is performing great after a full financial reset. Former CEO of Deloitte leading the charge there and it’s very financially efficient.. so that money is allocable elsewhere. Pretty simple but you can’t explain that to the media that wanted to run with Miami athletics taking money from a hospital system.

Advertisement
The general fund of the University supplemented UHealth for years. That’s no longer the case because UHealth is performing great after a full financial reset. Former CEO of Deloitte leading the charge there and it’s very financially efficient.. so that money is allocable elsewhere. Pretty simple but you can’t explain that to the media that wanted to run with Miami athletics taking money from a hospital system.
stupidest argument ever, and its always non-financial media who cover other schools trying to throw their expertise into the ring. Yes, the University made a ton of money during 2020. But they would have made a ton of money that year without a pandemic, and will continue to do so going forward

Yeah, I see there are a couple of salty ones on this thread. We won one. First in our existence. Payback for 1970.

And if you think I'm too young to remember that Stanley Cup Finals, I would say that you are technically correct. But then I would point out that my father had commemorative Pepsi bottles with our first three Stanley Cup failures emblazoned on them (you know, as if we were supposed to just be happy for "getting there" three times in a row). So, yeah, even as a young child, my first memories of my Blues team involved us being swept by Montreal (twice) and Boston (once).

Having said all of that, Renaghan is a fantastic hire.

PS, in spite of my obvious love of my team, I always admired Bobby Orr and absolutely LOVED this picture when I saw it in a library book when I was in elementary school:
I'm happy for the city of St. Louis, with all of the drama surrounding the Rams, the Blues have undoubtedly offered a nice reprieve. Back when I covered the Midwest I was able to visit multiple times and have actually hosted an event at a Blues game (love the Bud Light zone, if it is still called that). Great hockey fans and great people.

That's a timeless photo...always had that picture in my bedroom growing up (it's now in my office), right next to my Willis McGahee/Vince Wilfork photos.

I don’t know the first thing about hockey but when I lived in STL, I went to a few Blues’ games and them sh*ts were live af lol. They love their Blues for sure, attending those games were so much fun.

I live in FL, so I've usually gone to see the Blues play in Tampa and Sunrise. Still, whenever I can, I try to catch a game in the Lou, it's the best.

Advertisement
Not to mention that the schools investing in college football are also the schools making the most money on college football. Those anti-Miami click bait articles give the impression that money invested into college football is money you're never going to see again, when it's been shown time and again to be the opposite. Even if they did take money from UHealth and put it into the football program without a clear health-related benefit attached to it, it would still be a good investment.

1645735135447.gif

Exactly. Not one got-**** SoFla sports journalist clutched his/her pearls when Donna was pumping UM general fund money INTO UHealth. Some alums did. But I don't recall many scathing anti-Shalala articles ripping the operation of UHealth. Maybe I'm wrong.

Advertisement
Yeah, it's bizarre. The history of the team is so dark, we've had bad ownership, almost been relocated out of St. Louis multiple times, been "broken up" a couple of times, etc. The love is strong with that team, though.

St. Louis has lost...the AL Browns (Orioles), the NBA Hawks, and the NFL Cardinals and Rams. Not sure if any other city has lost more pro sports franchises in the past 75 years. And two of those teams won championships (Hawks and Rams), plus the Browns won an AL pennant.
It’s battered wife syndrome or Stockholm syndrome. Take your pick

Advertisement
I don’t know the first thing about hockey but when I lived in STL, I went to a few Blues’ games and them sh*ts were live af lol. They love their Blues for sure, attending those games were so much fun.
Same for Cardinals fans. We took a trip there to catch a few baseball games. Beautiful place

I'm not big into nutrition certifications but the RACC with the *D means "with Distinction" in most circles, meaning he is a heavy contributor to their research, accumulates a lot of points by speaking at conferences, lectures, etc.

Edit: I actually can't even figure out what this "RACC" certification is, I'm assuming it's related to nutrition if what this Twitter user is saying is true.

Double Edit:
1645755629538.png

The Twitter user is wrong, it's RSCC*D - it's the NSCA's Registered S&C Coach * with Distinction certification. It's the NSCA's version of the CSCCa's SCCC. Have to have a large body of work to get that.

The CSCS is another certification I said is mandatory for any strength coach to have (go check my thread on Coach Feld), as well as an MS which is very nice to see.

**** I’ve been calling for this for years. It’s so much more than lifting weights and running sprints this is something Chip Kelly pioneered in college football - so it’s only been a thing for 10 years or so by our competitors and many still haven’t bought into it.
Chip Kelly was the coach, Jim Radcliffe was the pioneer. One of the most respected S&C coaches in the industry and I'm a personal fan of his contributions, but he isn't jacked, doesn't have a handlebar mustache, didn't play in college/NFL, and doesn't post videos on IG yelling at people for views, so naturally everyone on this board would probably think he was a bust hire.

I've often wondered with UHealth, why there hasn't been a greater emphasis on sports science. It could be a world class training ground.
I attended UM for my MS because it has one of the best exercise physiology / strength and conditioning programs in the country, but Swasey was the S&C coach at the time and his ego couldn't handle that researchers who spend their entire academic careers studying sports performance know more than he does. He took a few interns but generally had the attitude that he "didn't need anyone's help."

Last edited:
Advertisement
Same for Cardinals fans. We took a trip there to catch a few baseball games. Beautiful place

Oh man. Absolutely. I have spent many days and nights in ballpark village (the surrounding entertainment area of the baseball stadium) and have been dragged out of there from going too hard. I didn't watch not 1 second of the game but I had a great time, lol. Long long long time ago though of course lol.

Oh man. Absolutely. I have spent many days and nights in ballpark village (the surrounding entertainment area of the baseball stadium) and have been dragged out of there from going too hard. I didn't watch not 1 second of the game but I had a great time, lol. Long long long time ago though of course lol.
Sounds like we need to go to a game together

Exactly. That was the whole idea of hiring him. He’s been in the kitchen. He knows how the sausage is made.

now, on the flipside, I wonder how many of our guys realize that this will get THAT much tougher inside the program and to be a part of it? This is now something that is earned, not given. The harsh reality is that this program will now be much more rewarding for those who go through it(both individually and collectively) but not necessarily as fun

There's a price to pay for all this

The Coral Gables Country Club has been closed for good

Advertisement
Back