Director of sports science

Advertisement
These are the big boy moves you need to make if you’re going to compete for titles. It can’t be understated how important the increase in spending is.

Now we're getting serious. I love this Renaghan hire. Maybe he can figure out how to help cure some turf toe. Mario told Brooks they would get him right when he got here. The last I heard on Brooks, he wasn't doing anything. Let's get a team on him.
That Brooks wasn’t doing anything? Meaning not training?

Advertisement
Yep. My Blues have been a pretty good team since we hired Berube as coach, and Renaghan had a big impact. The Blues tend to play a very heavy, physical style of hockey, and Renaghan was very instrumental in keeping those guys on the ice. I'm actually surprised that there isn't more overlap between hockey and football when it comes to performance and recovery.

Agreed on the overlap- it's most similar of the major sports in where your power source is derived from and with certain endurance issues.

Whenever I think of that Blues team this glorious video comes to mind. May we all strive to be as lit as Brett Hull was this day at the championship celebration for the next Canes title.

Agreed on the surprising lack of overlap. But just wanted to say that I'm still salty about the 2019 cup final

Yeah, I see there are a couple of salty ones on this thread. We won one. First in our existence. Payback for 1970.

And if you think I'm too young to remember that Stanley Cup Finals, I would say that you are technically correct. But then I would point out that my father had commemorative Pepsi bottles with our first three Stanley Cup failures emblazoned on them (you know, as if we were supposed to just be happy for "getting there" three times in a row). So, yeah, even as a young child, my first memories of my Blues team involved us being swept by Montreal (twice) and Boston (once).

Having said all of that, Renaghan is a fantastic hire.

PS, in spite of my obvious love of my team, I always admired Bobby Orr and absolutely LOVED this picture when I saw it in a library book when I was in elementary school:

1645727882674.png

Advertisement
Entirely from the school to this point. I think the facility upgrades have some specific donor influence but salaries and football budget is entirely the school’s doing.

Facility enhancements coming soon will stem from the Ever Brighter Campaign and then some specialized donations from Ruiz, etc will help as well. But mostly school funded

Yes, this is what I have been hearing too.

That's why the "UHealth money" thing was such a ridiculous misdirection by the press. When it comes to THESE ISSUES (sports science and recovery), there is absolutely NO "conflict of interest" in how the money is being used and directed. There is NOTHING wrong with spending a lot more money in Athletics that will also create synergistic benefits for UHealth.

Now we're getting serious. I love this Renaghan hire. Maybe he can figure out how to help cure some turf toe. Mario told Brooks they would get him right when he got here. The last I heard on Brooks, he wasn't doing anything. Let's get a team on him.

Brooks got the surgery (belatedly), he'll be ready this year.

Advertisement
I'm not an expert, but I think it has to do with how they're funded. These sports science and physical trainer folks get hired by pro teams and don't necessarily work under the medical umbrella. UHealth gets money from insurance, which doesn't reimburse this stuff; UM gets money from other places, and they have to different things with those monies. P3 and Emory-Hawks facility is an example of sports scientists, a healthcare system and sports team coming together; hopefully UM and UHealth can do something similar down the line if it's not already in place

Absolute truth. I have been trying to explain to people that the ECHEVARRIA input has been incredibly helpful.

Advertisement
Yeah, I see there are a couple of salty ones on this thread. We won one. First in our existence. Payback for 1970.

And if you think I'm too young to remember that Stanley Cup Finals, I would say that you are technically correct. But then I would point out that my father had commemorative Pepsi bottles with our first three Stanley Cup failures emblazoned on them (you know, as if we were supposed to just be happy for "getting there" three times in a row). So, yeah, even as a young child, my first memories of my Blues team involved us being swept by Montreal (twice) and Boston (once).

Having said all of that, Renaghan is a fantastic hire.

PS, in spite of my obvious love of my team, I always admired Bobby Orr and absolutely LOVED this picture when I saw it in a library book when I was in elementary school:

View attachment 178534
I'm not a hockey guy.

But Blues fans are among the most loyal fanbases I've seen in the sporting world.

I'm not a hockey guy.

But Blues fans are among the most loyal fanbases I've seen in the sporting world.

I don’t know the first thing about hockey but when I lived in STL, I went to a few Blues’ games and them sh*ts were live af lol. They love their Blues for sure, attending those games were so much fun.

I'm not a hockey guy.

Yeah, it's bizarre. The history of the team is so dark, we've had bad ownership, almost been relocated out of St. Louis multiple times, been "broken up" a couple of times, etc. The love is strong with that team, though.

St. Louis has lost...the AL Browns (Orioles), the NBA Hawks, and the NFL Cardinals and Rams. Not sure if any other city has lost more pro sports franchises in the past 75 years. And two of those teams won championships (Hawks and Rams), plus the Browns won an AL pennant.

Advertisement
Back