Dionte Mullins gets physically big in UM's strength program

randolph herndon

Freshman
Banned
Mark Richt said sophomore wide receiver Dionte Mullins “caught my eye,” because he’s “much more sure of what he’s doing. He’s in good condition. He made some nice catches. He did a nice job.”

"Mullins, listed at 5-foot-11 and 200 pounds, is apparently some 20 pounds heavier than last year
and wears No. 84. Academic issues forced him to miss his senior year at Miami-Gulliver Prep. He enrolled midway through last fall camp, played sparingly, and recorded no catches."

Dionte Mullins, DeeJay Dallas make early impressions at Miami Hurricanes spring practice | Canes Watch

Advertisement
Here are some updated roster weights so far this off season with 3-4 months more of S&C to go. Fielder and staff doing the job.

Joe Jackson…................ 6-5 258…. +8 (from last year)
Michael Irvin II................ 6-3 248…. +13
Tre Johnson................… 6-7 305….+5
Navaughn Donaldson..... 6-6 350…. entered in Jan. near 370
Trevor Darling….............. 6-4 300 …. -15
George Brown Jr….......... 6-7 300…was 285 last year
RJ McIntosh…................. 6-4 293….+3
Jonathan Garvin…........... 6-4 235… was 225 in HS
Trayone Gray.................. 6-2 235….. +10
Amari Carter................... 6-2 197…… 188 entering in Jan
Malek Young.................… 5-9 180….+10
Bradley Jennings, Jr.........…. 6-1 230….220 in HS
Pat Bethel…..................... 6-3 272…260 last year--possible DT for this guy in the future?
Chad Thomas.................… 6-6 275……270 last year

Last edited:
Here are some updated roster weights so far this off season with 3-4 months more of S&C to go. Fielder and staff doing the job.

Joe Jackson…................ 6-5 258…. +8 (from last year)
Michael Irvin II................ 6-3 248…. +13
Tre Johnson................… 6-7 305….+5
Navaughn Donaldson..... 6-6 350…. entered in Jan. near 370
Trevor Darling….............. 6-4 300 …. -15
George Brown Jr….......... 6-7 300…was 285 last year
RJ McIntosh…................. 6-4 293….+3
Jonathan Garvin…........... 6-4 235… was 225 in HS
Trayone Gray.................. 6-2 235….. +10
Amari Carter................... 6-2 197…… 188 entering in Jan
Malek Young.................… 5-9 180….+10
Bradley Jennings, Jr.........…. 6-1 230….220 in HS
Pat Bethel…..................... 6-3 272…260 last year--possible DT for this guy in the future?
Chad Thomas.................… 6-6 275……270 last year

Thanks!

Mark Richt said sophomore wide receiver Dionte Mullins “caught my eye,” because he’s “much more sure of what he’s doing. He’s in good condition. He made some nice catches. He did a nice job.”

"Mullins, listed at 5-foot-11 and 200 pounds, is apparently some 20 pounds heavier than last year
and wears No. 84. Academic issues forced him to miss his senior year at Miami-Gulliver Prep. He enrolled midway through last fall camp, played sparingly, and recorded no catches."

Dionte Mullins, DeeJay Dallas make early impressions at Miami Hurricanes spring practice | Canes Watch

Somebody please remind me why Mullins didn't redshirt.

Advertisement
hopefully Grey plays FB. would be wonderful to have another great athlete like him on the field in some manner.

Feel the
200.webp

Advertisement
Mullins wasnt the fastest guy to begin with.

Being +20lbs will not help his explosiveness.

Somebody please remind me why Mullins didn't redshirt.

I believe the staff was hooing he would pick up the playbook faster than he did so he could get into the rotation at the end of the season.

Some of you are still suffering PTSD from the Golden era. It's normal for kids to put on weight like this as long as it's good weight and not Mcdonalds double cheesburgers. Mullins may be a little too heavy at 200lbs and they may ask him to cut a little bit over the summer but I'll leave that up to the coaches.

Advertisement
I saw a pic of Herndon and he looks like Njoku. Big and lean AF. He could be in for a YUGE season.

For every pound of weight gain your strength needs to increase by approximately 2.5lbs. So if his squt/cleans are up by +50lbs it shouldn't affect his speed.

I saw a pic of Herndon and he looks like Njoku. Big and lean AF. He could be in for a YUGE season.

I have a feeling he's going to have a monster season. Kid is tough after the catch and is very athletic for his size.

Advertisement

I have a feeling he's going to have a monster season. Kid is tough after the catch and is very athletic for his size.

If Herndon didn't have 2 NFL tight ends playing in front of him he would have been featured more. Regardless when he got the ball he produced. Like njoku he also is great after the catch and has pretty good hands. Overall is a better blocker. The coaching staff loves his ability and he can play at a high level. Will be interesting to see what he does this year as the featured tight end. He has NFL talent

I'd have to see him naked to see if it's good weight. I'm skeptical of a WR with prior questions about his work ethic gaining 20 pounds in a year.

He ran a 4.48 as a senior - faster than Richards and Bruce. He was a fast guy to begin with. And players do gain speed and explosiveness with weight if it's done correctly - which it probably was since we have a quality staff....

Mullins wasnt the fastest guy to begin with.

Being +20lbs will not help his explosiveness.

hopefully Grey plays FB. would be wonderful to have another great athlete like him on the field in some manner.

this could actually work out quite well for him & us, if he's got the mentality for it.

would be nice to have an athletic fullback like him for next couple years.

Advertisement
Back