Didn't Even Call Butch Back

As I posted yesterday, it's hilarious that Butch Davis actually expected to get the job.

Butch Davis returning to Miami was largely an invention of this message board. The tunnel vision desperate types went 1 for 2. I give them credit for the aggressiveness in shoving out Golden. But that was the easy part. An elephant in the sky could recognize that Golden was overmatched in this job. The replacement involves countless more variables, many of them flunked by Butch Davis. Brutally flunked.

So-called insider information means nothing in comparison to raw common sense. Those marathon threads with the familiar names are cute, and lots of posters here call for them and bow to them, but you always have to know when to laugh like **** and totally ignore. I hope we don't treated to similar garbage during spring drills, with guys the caliber of Jermaine Johnson or Michael Wyche somehow hyped.

Advertisement
Funny. All these "insiders" on this board a few weeks ago said Butch had already agreed to the job and was picking his staff.

Those dudes were downright smug in their conviction that Butch would be the HC. We even had a cult member claiming to be so dialed in that he went loopy and bet his account on Butch.

Not sure who you guys are referring to, but no one from CIS said as much. I said what I was told in October - before Golden had even been fired. Ended up being accurate. D$ made a prediction, as far as I know.

Geo said Butch was hired, and had a staff. Would be announced after Thanksgiving.

But Franchise is referencing the BBB group, and specifically, Cane Dynasty.

I didn't know that. Got it.

No self respecting miami fan would call butch a loser. Whether you wanted him or not.

FACT.

Most that do jumped back on the bandwagon or started following the Canes for the first time based on what the dude did for this program...they have no idea what he was facing in '95.

Ironically, the same people whining about Shalala not investing in top notch coaching hires refuse to recognize that it started with Butch as UM dragged their collective feet in doing what it took to keep him around long term.

Should Butch have told us all he was staying? **** no, every coach since has learned the proper spin coach speak when possibly entertaining other opportunities...but I have no doubt the guy believed UM would do the right thing....the intelligent thing...and our program has suffered since because of it.

We are all stoked to have Richt, the one guy an honest fan would admit we never would have believed we could EVER land...but to slam Butch as a loser over it is pathetic and hypocritical.

UM

How many times does this insane revisionist history have to be disproven before morons could stop spouting it?

Butch wanted to make leaving Miami as easy as possible and Miami didn't want to lose another coach to the NFL and saw that Butch was going to jump and jump fast. Probably wouldn't have made it past 2002 if he stuck around.

Dude wanted greener pastures, Miami was going to make him one of the highest paid coaches in college football and he wanted an easy out. Butch ****ed Butch.

Hey look, the ClownShow is back.

I see your back to your porsting ways, as usual.

I'm beginning to think Butch isn't as polished a salesman as we all believed. He obviously hasn't crafted any sort of acceptable explanation for John Blake and now he's fumbling over all these post-interview questions. The correct answer (public relations-wise) the other day would have been- "I don't know Coach Richt personally but he's also a Cane and a fine football coach blah blah blah". The correct answer today would have been- "No, I didn't hear back directly from the school after they hired Coach Richt but that's not something that I needed as I'm happy I interviewed and wish them all the best of luck blah blah blah".

His answers are too matter of fact and leave people to draw their own conclusions about him being bitter. Not a good look for a guy that deserves a job but seemingly doesn't understand why he doesn't have one.

UM will eventually get around to sending him a letter and or email saying that they have filled the position that he applied for. They are in fact slow, but they will do it. Again, I do not feel sorry for Butch and don't follow the logic of why any Cane would even be upset about this. He's a grown man. He's where he is because of the decisions he made. We did not ask him to leave UM. He did that on his own. What is taking place is in fact common place.

"No, as a matter of fact, they never called and even told me I didn't get the job," Davis said. "I actually heard it on the radio".

Poor guy sounds like he's in full blown pity mode. I didn't know employers were required to call everyone who applies for a job to tell them they didn't get it before the news breaks. He should be grateful that UM gave him an interview. No one else is.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not to burst too many bubbles, but old Butch was a shyster of the highest order. Here's the letter from LSU AD showing what old Butch was up to while at UM:

image.jpg

Wouldn't a 'no call back' disprove the notion Butch was told he had the job, only to lose it once Richt became available? I doubt Miami would be so unprofessional as to extend an offer, even a verbal one, and then hire someone else without any notification they were rescinding the verbal offer.

Funny. All these "insiders" on this board a few weeks ago said Butch had already agreed to the job and was picking his staff.

Those dudes were downright smug in their conviction that Butch would be the HC. We even had a cult member claiming to be so dialed in that he went loopy and bet his account on Butch.

Not sure who you guys are referring to, but no one from CIS said as much. I said what I was told in October - before Golden had even been fired. Ended up being accurate. D$ made a prediction, as far as I know.

Geo said Butch was hired, and had a staff. Would be announced after Thanksgiving.

Not sure why anyone listens to this Geo cat. Guy has been wildly incorrect every time he posts.

Advertisement

Not sure why anyone listens to this Geo cat. Guy has been wildly incorrect every time he posts.
Geo was the one who broke golden to psu, right?

Wouldn't a 'no call back' disprove the notion Butch was told he had the job, only to lose it once Richt became available? I doubt Miami would be so unprofessional as to extend an offer, even a verbal one, and then hire someone else without any notification they were rescinding the verbal offer.

Exactly. At most maybe one of Butch's proponents on the BoT fed him some premature info. Even that scenario would probably be a stretch.

Geo was the one who broke golden to psu, right?

And that Golden was fired last year.

And that Butch was hired and Paul DiMare was making the decision.

Advertisement
Not to burst too many bubbles, but old Butch was a shyster of the highest order. Here's the letter from LSU AD showing what old Butch was up to while at UM:

View attachment 34398

Eyesight a little weak and magnifying the page isn't helpin. What's that letter say, Brutha?

Basically LSU was reaching out to gauge his interest in coaching there back in '99.

Butch was not interested but he did say that he was looking to parlay a college HC job into an NFL gig.

This seems like a smoking gun that he was always looking to get back into the NFL from day 1 and never intended to stay at UM for a significant length of time.

He left everybody hanging and went to Cleveland. I wonder if he called back after the fact hmmm...

Advertisement
I was in management for many years. Anytime I personally interviewed anyone for a job, I always followed up and always advised if the job was offered to them or if it had been filled. Only common courtesy and good business practice. Never ever burn bridges.

I was on the fence about butch meaning not my first choice but top 3. i even threw richts name out there in AUGUST jokingly.

[MENTION=7854]Gatorhater[/MENTION] but Richts best >Butchs best. Sorry

I was in management for many years. Anytime I personally interviewed anyone for a job, I always followed up and always advised if the job was offered to them or if it had been filled. Only common courtesy and good business practice. Never ever burn bridges.

A practice that happens exceedingly less and less in today's workplace. Comical that many employers/mgmt are surprised when employees don't offer the same type of courtesy when separating from their company.

Advertisement
Back