Didn't Even Call Butch Back

Anyone else ever interviewed and not gotten the job? I have....they don't normally call you back to let you know.

Advertisement
"No, as a matter of fact, they never called and even told me I didn't get the job," Davis said. "I actually heard it on the radio".

Poor guy sounds like he's in full blown pity mode. I didn't know employers were required to call everyone who applies for a job to tell them they didn't get it before the news breaks. He should be grateful that UM gave him an interview. No one else is.

Anyone else ever interviewed and not gotten the job? I have....they don't normally call you back to let you know.
I've gotten every job I ever applied for. But I know a lot of guys who haven't. And they never get called and told they lost.

I feel bad for him, but he has to understand that this is a business....just like he left for Cleveland b/c of a business decision, Miami chose a relevant coach who was available as a business decision.

Mark has won 73% of his games, two conference titles, several BCS bowl games after taking over a dump of program called Georgia. He's a top caliber coach. Our fondest memories of Butch as a coach were "good" but not great result at UNC while hiring someone w/ a known questionable past.

Miami had to go w/ the safer and better choice. I love Butch to death, wish someway we get him on board w/ this program in some capacity....but he has to understand that Miami made the better hire and if he was an AD and he had a choice between hiring a guy who's team is constantly in National Title Contention vs. a guy who's been away for 5 years and went out in disgrace, I'm sure he would've done the same thing. This coming from a BBB crew member.

GA was no where close to a dump of a program when he took over.

nobody else afraid of Butch with the drive to stick it to UM now?

Stop shaking. It's going to be ok. He can't do too much damage from the ESPN studio. No one else is looking for Butch. USCe hired a psychopath proven failure instead of him.

I still can't believe USCe hired that guy. Wouldn't they have been better off taking a chance on a lesser known mid-major hc or a coordinator like Aranda???

Last edited:
Advertisement
I feel bad for him, but he has to understand that this is a business....just like he left for Cleveland b/c of a business decision, Miami chose a relevant coach who was available as a business decision.

Mark has won 73% of his games, two conference titles, several BCS bowl games after taking over a dump of program called Georgia. He's a top caliber coach. Our fondest memories of Butch as a coach were "good" but not great result at UNC while hiring someone w/ a known questionable past.

Miami had to go w/ the safer and better choice. I love Butch to death, wish someway we get him on board w/ this program in some capacity....but he has to understand that Miami made the better hire and if he was an AD and he had a choice between hiring a guy who's team is constantly in National Title Contention vs. a guy who's been away for 5 years and went out in disgrace, I'm sure he would've done the same thing. This coming from a BBB crew member.

I thought Butch was the safest hire, but now I think the admin got it right.

out of all the other names that were thrown out previously, absolutely. The only other coach I wanted, besides Butch, was Herman. But when Richt came up, I was a huge proponent of this idea. I think he coming over the ACC would be HUGE for him and I really think we will be, for a lack of better words, raping the ACC from here on for a while.

Sounds like right in line with saying you're staying and then leaving. Hate to say it, and I was hoping for Butch, but Karma is a *****.

You're kidding, right?

They haven't won a national title or been in contention for a national title since 1980. The previous two coaches went a combined 86-53-1 and was never considered for a BCS bowl game or won a conference title. UGA didn't get into the spot light until Richt took over.

So maybe they weren't a "dump", but they sure weren't the darlings of the SEC.

Advertisement

True, but Ray Goff and Jim Donnan were pretty much the equivalent of ****er/Shannon/Golden.
No SEC titles, no major bowls (does Citrus count?) for over a decade.

Edit - Relly got this.

Last edited:
Besides Butch's mediocre abilities as a coach, it probably didn't help his cause the way he left Miami and more so the fact that he was openly campaigning for a job that wasn't open for the better part of two years.

Advertisement
No self respecting miami fan would call butch a loser. Whether you wanted him or not.

FACT.

Most that do jumped back on the bandwagon or started following the Canes for the first time based on what the dude did for this program...they have no idea what he was facing in '95.

Ironically, the same people whining about Shalala not investing in top notch coaching hires refuse to recognize that it started with Butch as UM dragged their collective feet in doing what it took to keep him around long term.

Should Butch have told us all he was staying? **** no, every coach since has learned the proper spin coach speak when possibly entertaining other opportunities...but I have no doubt the guy believed UM would do the right thing....the intelligent thing...and our program has suffered since because of it.

We are all stoked to have Richt, the one guy an honest fan would admit we never would have believed we could EVER land...but to slam Butch as a loser over it is pathetic and hypocritical.

UM

I've gotten every job I ever applied for. But I know a lot of guys who haven't. And they never get called and told they lost.

As you work your way up in your career toward jobs that pay over 500-600K you will confront this scenario from time to time. Jobs that require multiple advanced degrees, are in charge of 100s of employees, or other similar captain of industry type positions will require that you compete for jobs that have a very well-equipped talent pool. The jobs that you are used to applying likely are slotted with those of you that lean toward the average, thus someone like yourself, who may be slightly above average in aptitude, capacity, and the like, may often out shine his/her cohort. As Warren Buffet once said, "it is not until you apply for a job that you don't get do you know you are competing for things that matter."

Advertisement
No self respecting miami fan would call butch a loser. Whether you wanted him or not.

FACT.

Most that do jumped back on the bandwagon or started following the Canes for the first time based on what the dude did for this program...they have no idea what he was facing in '95.

Ironically, the same people whining about Shalala not investing in top notch coaching hires refuse to recognize that it started with Butch as UM dragged their collective feet in doing what it took to keep him around long term.

Should Butch have told us all he was staying? **** no, every coach since has learned the proper spin coach speak when possibly entertaining other opportunities...but I have no doubt the guy believed UM would do the right thing....the intelligent thing...and our program has suffered since because of it.

We are all stoked to have Richt, the one guy an honest fan would admit we never would have believed we could EVER land...but to slam Butch as a loser over it is pathetic and hypocritical.

UM

How many times does this insane revisionist history have to be disproven before morons could stop spouting it?

Butch wanted to make leaving Miami as easy as possible and Miami didn't want to lose another coach to the NFL and saw that Butch was going to jump and jump fast. Probably wouldn't have made it past 2002 if he stuck around.

Dude wanted greener pastures, Miami was going to make him one of the highest paid coaches in college football and he wanted an easy out. Butch ****ed Butch.

Last edited:

I thought Butch was the safest hire, but now I think the admin got it right.

Your **** right skippy! Goes to show you that at the first sign of adversity Botch would have started pointing fingers. pfft time to move on.

Absolutely LOVE Butch and would have really welcomed him back and was hoping that he got it...BUT when Mark became available, he became priority [ numero uno. Love the hire...hate it for butch. as another poster stated..."Karma is a *****"

butch should have never left. Can you imagine the dynasty that we would have had? Sorry Butch.

I am hoping Mark can take us to the promise land...he deserves it and it would be a 30 for 30 story in and of itself. Can call it "The Return" or "The Resurrection" ....how a storied program floundering in mediocrity and an established coach pushed out at UGA, re-establishes himself at his Alma Mater and resurrects a dynasty.

AWAKEN the KRAKEN!!!!!! LETS GO CANES!!!!! []_[]

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Back