Did Irma & this Long Break Doom our Season: Yes or No?

Our team hasn't practiced in 2 years, and will be out of practice another week. Might as well be spring ball again. The timing, Rhythm, focus level and conditioning is going to be waaaay off for everyone. Also, you come out of camp gelling and locked in as a team (and you maintain that synergy through consistent practices), which sets the tone for the season. That's now gone.

Bethune was basically a scrimmage, which means we haven't even played a game yet. So, in essence, Toledo will be playing in game four and, the game against them will be our first.

I have a feeling we're going to look back at this hurricane and point to it as the moment a championship season was undone.

I just wanted to see how many negs you got.

Advertisement
No offense to the OP. This is nothing personal. That's my disclaimer.

WTF is the matter with everyone around here lately? We get hit by a hurricane which is terrible but could have been much worse. We cancel Arkansas State and reschedule FSU which gives us two weeks before Toledo and we've got all these super queens talking about our season being doomed? You guys must be out of your freaking mind! If anything this brings the team closer and they rally around the South Florida community.

We have 10 straight weeks with no breaks from here on out and I get it but to even wonder if this will doom the season is beyond full ******. It's the most beta, soft shouldered, and pathetically weak state of mind I can remember ever seeing on this board. It's a straight up ***** mentality that doesn't belong on a UM message board because it's the very antithesis of what this program stands for and frankly I'm shocked.

We have a very good team and staff that won't let adversity control them or let it define them. Yes they have to go 10 straight weeks but so freaking what. These are really tough and resilient kids that I am sure will do us all proud. So tighten up and just stop with the whole chicken little the sky is falling narrative. That's all

Last edited:
Only thing which could suck is not being able to practice in Coral Gables ahead of Toledo.

OP is a joke. The topic could have been a good one that could generate interesting discussion. But due to the OP's terrible doomsday post it became another terrible thread

Katrina impacted LSU less than Irma did Miami? In what alternate universe?

Well, they only ended up having to move one game that season-- their opener (which they still played, just at an away site), whereas we've already had to move 3* games. They practiced and played as normal. Their campus is also a almost 100 miles from the devastation of NO.

Katrina was a colossal disaster, and most of LSU's team is from that area. This Irma deal is terrible, but it's nothing along those lines.

It's not even close to what Andrew did to Miami, and we missed nothing as a result of Andrew. It's just a different time now than it even was during Katrina ten years ago.

We err on the side of political correctness these days and away from putting too much importance on sports. That's why we've changed up so much as a result of Irma. It's not because the area was destroyed or anything like that.

So far, the only thing that's really changed is one canceled game and a week of missed practice that would have been prep for that specific game. At this point, we practice as prep for each specific opponent. As soon as possible, we'll start practicing for sorry *** 2 star Toledo. We'll have enough time to get ready for a MAC team full of 2 stars. If our coaches are good, they've already started prep work.

Oh I'm right with you in terms of comparing the damage the Hurricanes did (Katrina v Irma). New Orleans still hasn't fully recovered from Katrina. Irma will be an afterthought by Halloween. I'm just talking in terms of disruption to the program, Irma has so far been more of a force against UM than Katrina was against LSU.

Irma will only be disruptive to UM if UM lets it be. Katrina was a once in a lifetime disaster that affected anything and everything deeply in that region. Lots of lives lost and tons of people displaced and homeless. That's a far more significant disruption to a program than what Irma should cause to UM.

LSU, as an institution was not hurt by Katrina, not really. Tulane was.

Advertisement
Well, they only ended up having to move one game that season-- their opener (which they still played, just at an away site), whereas we've already had to move 3* games. They practiced and played as normal. Their campus is also a almost 100 miles from the devastation of NO.

Katrina was a colossal disaster, and most of LSU's team is from that area. This Irma deal is terrible, but it's nothing along those lines.

It's not even close to what Andrew did to Miami, and we missed nothing as a result of Andrew. It's just a different time now than it even was during Katrina ten years ago.

We err on the side of political correctness these days and away from putting too much importance on sports. That's why we've changed up so much as a result of Irma. It's not because the area was destroyed or anything like that.

So far, the only thing that's really changed is one canceled game and a week of missed practice that would have been prep for that specific game. At this point, we practice as prep for each specific opponent. As soon as possible, we'll start practicing for sorry *** 2 star Toledo. We'll have enough time to get ready for a MAC team full of 2 stars. If our coaches are good, they've already started prep work.

Oh I'm right with you in terms of comparing the damage the Hurricanes did (Katrina v Irma). New Orleans still hasn't fully recovered from Katrina. Irma will be an afterthought by Halloween. I'm just talking in terms of disruption to the program, Irma has so far been more of a force against UM than Katrina was against LSU.

Irma will only be disruptive to UM if UM lets it be. Katrina was a once in a lifetime disaster that affected anything and everything deeply in that region. Lots of lives lost and tons of people displaced and homeless. That's a far more significant disruption to a program than what Irma should cause to UM.

I wasn't talking structural damage to LSU. UM wasn't damaged by Irma either.

I wasn't talking structural damage to LSU. UM wasn't damaged by Irma either.

**** LSU. Always. **** LSU. They were fine.

Advertisement
Only thing which could suck is not being able to practice in Coral Gables ahead of Toledo.

That ain't happening. Greentree will be ready as soon as they allow everyone back on campus:

[TWEET]907955342805487622[/TWEET]

My guess is that most will be practicing by Saturday.

Advertisement

Nobody cares about Tulane.

WTF is the matter with everyone around here lately? We get hit by a hurricane which is terrible but could have been much worse. We cancel Arkansas State and reschedule FSU which gives us two weeks before Toledo and we've got all these super queens talking about our season being doomed? You guys must be out of your freaking mind! If anything this brings the team closer and they rally around the South Florida community.

We have 10 straight weeks with no breaks from here on out and I get it but to even wonder if this will doom the season is beyond full ******. It's the most beta, soft shouldered, and pathetically weak state of mind I can remember ever seeing on this board. It's a straight up **** mentality that doesn't belong on a UM message board because it's the very antithesis of what this program stands for and frankly I'm shocked.

We have a very good team and staff that won't let adversity control them or let it define them. Yes they have to go 10 straight weeks but so freaking what. These are really tough and resilient kids that I am sure will do us all proud. So tighten up and just stop with the whole chicken little the sky is falling narrative. That's all

Right. Two weeks pass, BUT NO PRACTICE time yet. And U better hope Miami DOESN'T begin practicing on Saturday or Sunday! duh.

Because, in a best case scenario I would like to see Miami practice tomorrow or on Friday of this week.

We have 10 straight weeks with no breaks from here on out and I get it but to even wonder if this will doom the season is beyond full ******. It's the most beta, soft shouldered, and pathetically weak state of mind I can remember ever seeing on this board. It's a straight up **** mentality that doesn't belong on a UM message board because it's the very antithesis of what this program stands for and frankly I'm shocked.

Right. Two weeks pass, BUT NO PRACTICE time yet. And U better hope Miami DOESN'T begin practicing on Saturday or Sunday! duh.

Because, in a best case scenario I would like to see Miami practice tomorrow or on Friday of this week.

We are practicing next Monday---FIVE days from now, and a few days before the Toledo game, even though Miamis campus nor the practice field sustaining minimal to no damage...and 30 players are STILL in Orlando. That Toledo game won't be a cakewalk because of this. The entire complexion of that game has now changed (timing, conditioning, & continuity will be off)

Cmon, now. This is a little ridiculous. This long and unnecessary layoff could absolutely doom our season. This team should be out there practicing today---tomorrow at worst.

You guys still think this thread is BS? GTFOH

Last edited:
Advertisement

Nobody cares about Tulane.

About as much as people care about you

We are practicing next Monday---FIVE days from now, and a few days before the Toledo game, even though Miamis campus nor the practice field sustaining minimal to no damage...and 30 players are STILL in Orlando. That Toledo game won't be a cakewalk because of this. The entire complexion of that game has now changed (timing, conditioning, & continuity will be off)

Cmon, now. This is a little ridiculous. This long and unnecessary layoff could absolutely doom our season. This team should be out there practicing today---tomorrow at worst.

You guys still think this thread is BS? GTFOH

How long do we typically practice for a specific opponent? If we play on Saturday, we usually start prepping for the next opponent Monday. This will be no different. You're either a troll or a really nervous ghey guy.

Let's just pack it in. We're done. Everything they worked for during the offseason will be undone after 2 weeks with no practice.

It's almost a blessing because can you imagine what would happen if we made the playoffs? There would be some time off before the big game and we'd be truly screwed. Cancel the season and we avoid the trap.

Advertisement
Back