Did Irma & this Long Break Doom our Season: Yes or No?

The Svengali

Sophomore
Our team hasn't practiced in 2 years, and will be out of practice another week. Might as well be spring ball again. The timing, Rhythm, focus level and conditioning is going to be waaaay off for everyone. Also, you come out of camp gelling and locked in as a team (and you maintain that synergy through consistent practices), which sets the tone for the season. That's now gone.

Bethune was basically a scrimmage, which means we haven't even played a game yet. So, in essence, Toledo will be playing in game four and, the game against them will be our first.

I have a feeling we're going to look back at this hurricane and point to it as the moment a championship season was undone.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Or it can galvanize the team and rally them emotionally to go out there and do even better.

I think it is simple, the schedule may have changed a bit but the teams we face are still not very good outside of maybe three or four teams.
We have talent on both sides of the ball and one of the best Coaching staffs in the Conference.
We should be fine.

Our team hasn't practiced in 2 years, and will be out of practice another week. Might as well be spring ball again. The timing, Rhythm, focus level and conditioning is going to be waaaay off for everyone. Also, you come out of camp gelling and locked in as a team (and you maintain that synergy through consistent practices), which sets the tone for the season. That's now gone.

Bethune was basically a scrimmage, which means we haven't even played a game yet. So, in essence, Toledo will be playing in game four and, the game against them will be our first.

I have a feeling we're going to look back at this hurricane and point to it as the moment a championship season was undone.

No the season is not "broken" "lost" "doomed" or otherwise. Miami has the unique opportunity to have the city and community rally behind this team and the success that they have on the field can be a bright spot on the road to recovery. Sports Teams can bring communities together. Miami is not and never was going to lose to Toledo. I get what you mean about rhythm. That rhythm will return and the talent alone is going to win this team games.

I'm getting more excited because we have a real opportunity to go 11-0 this season. Clemson still trying to get things figured out in the post Watson era and Miami really could be a playoff sleeper. Miami and Clemson can enter the ACCCG undefeated and play for a chance at the playoffs to represent the ACC.

So no the season is not lost. It's just beginning and this year can be a whole lot of **** fun for these kids. The city and the program!

Lets ride.

Last edited:
For comparison's sake, tho not as directly impacted as Miami, LSU went 11-2 the season Katrina hit.

Oh yeah, they capped the season by humiliating u sin the Peach Bowl, and the program hasn't been the same since that loss.

Advertisement
Depends completely on how our guys come back after the long layoff. We can't lose everything we had built up over summer and fall camp. Also depends on if our defense plays like BCU or like they did in the bowl game vs WVU

Any word on how much damage occurred at the U?

I don't have much interest in Football but that should change in two weeks.

Advertisement
In some respects it is a blessing in disguise. Toledo after FSU would have been the classic trap game. As it stands, the players should be itching to get on the field by the time we play them so they should be incredibly focused. The downside is no bye week once they get into the grind of the season. Essentially there are pros and cons but certainly not doom, IMO.

Seems like college football season started a long time ago and Miami (FL) hasn't played yet.

Lol first off... is it really necessary to put (FL) on a Miami Hurricanes board?

We've played one less game than everyone else. Oh except for FSU and UF. Same as them. By week 6 we will be caught back up for the most part and well into conference play. Don't be so dramatic.

**** dude I know time is going by slow but have we actually not practiced in 2 years? Yeah if that's the case we are fcked!

This question might be appropriate if it were being asked at the end of a 6-5 regular season. But now? C'mon man.

Advertisement
Hoping everyone is ok first and foremost. We're going to be fine. We have intelligent, hardworking, very athletic kids. We're gonna have fresh legs. Nicks and bruises healed. Irma sucked yah, but we're better than that *itch. Nothing like the U. This was a side show. Main event still to come as we'll be back with a fury. Looking forward to the ride!!!

For comparison's sake, tho not as directly impacted as Miami, LSU went 11-2 the season Katrina hit.

Oh yeah, they capped the season by humiliating u sin the Peach Bowl, and the program hasn't been the same since that loss.

Katrina impacted LSU less than Irma did Miami? In what alternate universe?

There is no denying this was a major distraction. This storm left quite an impact in our community. That being said, Idk if it's a good or bad thing this occurred. Does this affect conditioning? Does this affect focus and goals? I think by this weekend life will be back to normal. We shall see.

Advertisement
Seems like college football season started a long time ago and Miami (FL) hasn't played yet.

Lol first off... is it really necessary to put (FL) on a Miami Hurricanes board?

We've played one less game than everyone else. Oh except for FSU and UF. Same as them. By week 6 we will be caught back up for the most part and well into conference play. Don't be so dramatic.

It's not dramatic to question the effect of such a huge event at the beginning of a season where you are trying to find some identity and rhythm.

Lost practices and live action is simple reality.

I'm not sure how Richt handles prep for Toledo, but I hope it is full speed, full contact.

Advertisement
Back