Did anyone expected Richt to lost the fanbase this fast?

With our fanbase, I'm surprised it wasn't faster.
The problem with our fanbase is that it's so jaded from all the bad coaching hires and terrible football we've endured since 2003. There's just no patience with the program anymore. I know a lot of people who have just tuned it out and moved on to other interests because there appears to be no end in sight to the misery of watching this team underperform every damned season.

Advertisement
I'm sure you're a CEO or a surgeon.

No, but i do have an advanced degree from Ivy League school and an undergraduate degree from a top 15 university. You think I did that by aiming low? Because most people in my environment never did it??

I work in an ultra competitive environment with many sharp, super smart mofos, and **** near every one of these folks are go-getters. They shoot at high targets. Most successful people are wired this way (especially the self made ones). You might miss more often than not but that’s what you’re aiming for (and that becomes your standard.)

From a football perspective, that’s exactly how guys like JJ, Saban and Urban are wired

Last edited:
No, but i do have an advanced degree from Ivy League school and an undergraduate degree from a top 15 university. You think I did that by aiming low? Because most people in my environment never did it??

I work in an ultra competitive environment with many sharp, super smart mofos, and **** near every one of these folks are go-getters. They shoot at high targets. Most successful people are wired this way (especially the self made ones) You might miss more often than not but that’s what you’re aiming for.

That’s how guys like JJ, Saban and Urban are wired

But of course that's who you are. Super model wife, right?

You either have the personnel or you dont, coach richt hasnt been here a full 3yrs yet and expectations have already been raised to a national championship level. He cant fix everything that quick, but its in the works.
You either have the personnel or you dont, coach richt hasnt been here a full 3yrs yet and expectations have already been raised to a national championship level. He cant fix everything that quick, but its in the works.

I guess that’s where we disagree.
I do think we have the personnel to compete with UVA. We recruit and have recruited at a way higher level than they’ve have. You keep referring to this game as a one game sample but look at the statistical trend for the offense the last three years.
Do you think we don’t have the personnel to cover kicks better than we do?? Do you think hiring a better ST coach would have been better than a specializing LB coach for one situationnal LB position?
In year three of the Dnofrio days did you also say he just didn’t have the personnel ?
Not sure why you keep referring back to championships.
This is about a UVA and teams of that level.

No, the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP is the goal at Miami. ACC championship is the goal my @ss. We aren’t Virginia Tech or BC

Let's be truly honest, we haven't been "Miami" since 2002. We have been below VT, GT and UNC level (at various times) since 2005 when we first joined the ACC. Last year for the first time in a long time, we tasted success. But if you look at the games played last year, we benefited from a ton of luck and some really clutch plays which masked a ton of depth problems that this team still has three years later.

I don't know if Richt is the right coach to be able to take us toward a national championship but I do know that he is going to need some more time. Is it fair to give him more time? I'm not sure but I do know that I have seen some real progress on this team since he took over. I just wonder if we should be further along at this point. It's just obvious that we are not good enough to compete even with the average teams when it comes to physicality and skill level at certain positions.

With all that being said, I do believe the ACCCG is a valid goal just because we have only played in that game one time and we got ran out of the building by Clemson last year.

I know that people will disagree with me but facts don't lie. When we win a couple of ACC titles and we don't struggle to win games against horrible QB's (like Virginia's QB who I believe is one of the worst passers that I have ever seen) then we can start talking playoffs and National titles. We are still a ways off unfortunately.

Advertisement
No matter how you slice it, our offense is not going to be more physical than any Virginia team this year, UVA has a solid secondary. Its simple, which offense was better, this years UM version or last years, if you jnow that answer than it should all start making sense to you now.

“which offense was better, this years UM version or last years”

They are both bad.

But of course that's who you are. Super model wife, right?

Nope, I’m single.

But, hey, I don’t have to prove anything to you, man. I pointed all that out as an example from my life and folks I’m around monday-Friday. Aim high, and you’ll hit high targets

Aim low and and you’re always going to hit low targets..

Nope, I’m single.

But, hey, I don’t have to prove anything to you, man. I pointed all that out as an example from my life and folks I’m around monday-Friday. Aim high, and you’ll hit high targets

Aim low and and you’re always going to hit low targets..

And that applies PERFECTLY to Miami football. "NATIONAL TITLES BAYBEE! WE THA U!"

Let's be truly honest, we haven't been "Miami" since 2002. We have been below VT, GT and UNC level (at various times) since 2005 when we first joined the ACC. Last year for the first time in a long time, we tasted success. But if you look at the games played last year, we benefited from a ton of luck and some really clutch plays which masked a ton of depth problems that this team still has three years later.

I don't know if Richt is the right coach to be able to take us toward a national championship but I do know that he is going to need some more time. Is it fair to give him more time? I'm not sure but I do know that I have seen some real progress on this team since he took over. I just wonder if we should be further along at this point. It's just obvious that we are not good enough to compete even with the average teams when it comes to physicality and skill level at certain positions.

With all that being said, I do believe the ACCCG is a valid goal just because we have only played in that game one time and we got ran out of the building by Clemson last year.

I know that people will disagree with me but facts don't lie. When we win a couple of ACC titles and we don't struggle to win games against horrible QB's (like Virginia's QB who I believe is one of the worst passers that I have ever seen) then we can start talking playoffs and National titles. We are still a ways off unfortunately.

Yes, and right around that time (after joining the ACC) winning the coastal became our target by a series of weak coaches.

We stopped being “Miami” because coker and all the weak @ss coaches after him shifted our goals to a lower target. Prior to that Miami’s target was the National **** title, even during the thin probation years.

Even while going through all that shiat and the 47-0, We never forgot we’re we belonged and what the goal was.

Advertisement
I left a couple words out - the area has the best talent - I didn't mean on the team itself.

Oh geez.

This is probably the biggest problem with this fan base. People actually think we have the most talent in the country. Why do they think that? 2001. That's it.

I left a couple words out - the area has the best talent - I didn't mean on the team itself.

Well, that's not necessarily true anymore either. Football in the state of Florida is pretty ordinary right now. Alabama and Clemson and Ohio State are cherry picking a few kids, but for the most part they are dominating with kids from their areas. Talent is everywhere.

The fan base is fickle. They jump on and off the bandwagon almost weekly. When they fell to 4-4 in his first season, people were complaining as bad if not worse than they are right now. Then they won out and everybody was felling good again. Then they started 10-0 in 2017 and the bandwagon was bursting at the seams. 3 losses to end the season and a loss in the opener deflated that hot air balloon pretty fast. It's a veritable roller coaster with most fans.

What I will say is the people predicting the season going totally down the toilet might be jumping the gun. Richt's track record is what it is. He doesn't win titles but he also doesn't coach terrible teams. I think he has one losing season in his entire career. Which puts us in that 9-10 win purgatory. On one hand it's light years ahead of where this program has been the previous 15 years. On the other hand, it's not my, nor any fan's ideal end game. Right now, I'm just riding this out and seeing where it goes. Worst case scenario, we endure another 5 or 6 years of 10 win football and when Richt retires, his replacement won't have to start at the bottom with a complete overhaul of the program.

I wouldn't go quite that far.

Ohio has always had a fair amount of talent. But OSU recruits and gets players from across the country. Nothing new there. Same as they've done going back to at least the Woody Hayes days.

The state of SC has always - always - punched above its weight. Like clockwork you can count on a top 5 DE or DT in every recruiting class.

And the state of AL does decently. However, when a team is doing well on the field, the folks who put the recruiting lists together magically have that area with more 4 and 5-stars. This is why there have been more players from AL in the top 100, etc. for the past so many years. But this wasn't true at all about a decade ago (not sure how long Saban has been there).

But south Florida and the rest of the state is still the gold standard.

Many other areas have always done well - like NJ which many folks on the board don't seem to realize.

Finally, I'm very confident that AL and Clemson don't have the majority of the players on their teams from their home states.

They both filch a lot from other areas - especially Clemson since they've recently become a championship-level team over the past 3-4 years.

Well, that's not necessarily true anymore either. Football in the state of Florida is pretty ordinary right now. Alabama and Clemson and Ohio State are cherry picking a few kids, but for the most part they are dominating with kids from their areas. Talent is everywhere.

Advertisement
Way too streaky for anyone on either side to get too comfortable

4-0 in 2016
0-4 in 2016
15-0 in '16 & '17
0-4 in '17 & 18
5-0 in '18
0-1 and counting in '18

What’s maddening to many of the old heads here, is the fact that we all KNOW we probably won’t see a ship for 7-10 years. The UVA game was like being in time traveling machine (future)

We know where going remain in 9-10 purgatory from another 5-6 years, until Richt retires or pushed our, and then it’ll take the next coach 2-4 years to take us the last mile

The Virgina game offered us a glimpse into our future and all the old heads could see the future clearly and we fricken lost it. That’s why this week has been hellish on this board.

Yes. We won the crappy coastal last year despite having a poor offense, not because of it. We had no business needing last minute prayer wins against North Carolina, Florida State, and Georgia Tech. With a top 40 offense last year those are comfortable wins. Don't even get me started on the garbage performance offensively that was the Pitt game and of course the 3 points we squeaked out late in the game against Clemson's 2nd stringers. Niiiceeeee. And the bowl game against Wisconsin was a complete second half offensive collapse.

The writing has been on the wall for 3 years now. Richt is not an offensive coordinator. Can he be a good head coach and represent this University? It really depends if he is humble enough to make the changes necessary for our offense to move forward. Diaz is a prime example of a guy who studies his weaknesses and tries to address them. He's not perfect, but I don't need perfect, not looking for a #1 ranked offense. But is an offense ranked in the top 30 or so unreasonable at Miami?

LoL, maybe you should go back and rewatch that bowl game without the emotions. Im curious how you've come to that conclusion, you have to be an above average oc in order to coach around rosier's defeciencies. Coach richt has come in here first year 9 games 2nd year 10 games, this year is not over yet and you are part of the doom & gloom crew. Im not saying coach richt is perfect, but dont be apart of the amnesia crew and forget where this program was at before he got here. Coach richt has earned the right to call plays. You cant compare what coach diaz is doing to coach richt, diaz is working with potentially 5 to 7 1st round draft picks on that side of the ball, how many just draft picks, cause as of right now, we know with Ahmon being out, he was about the only 1st rounder on offense, jt4 not far behind, and we see what he's doing with them, but how many are on the o-line. You got to have a solid o-line to be in the top 30, you see we dont have that.

Advertisement
I guess that’s where we disagree.
I do think we have the personnel to compete with UVA. We recruit and have recruited at a way higher level than they’ve have. You keep referring to this game as a one game sample but look at the statistical trend for the offense the last three years.
Do you think we don’t have the personnel to cover kicks better than we do?? Do you think hiring a better ST coach would have been better than a specializing LB coach for one situationnal LB position?
In year three of the Dnofrio days did you also say he just didn’t have the personnel ?
Not sure why you keep referring back to championships.
This is about a UVA and teams of that level.

First off when it comes to the moron regime that just left, during the Maryland game i knew for sure they didnt belong here and said it back than after that game cause i could see what those morons from penn disgrace was trying to do.

The "we recruit at a higher level than" so and so school is based off what, some nerd websites, ranking highschool players before they even set foot on campus. Before coach richt got here, go and see how high our o-line recruiting has been than get back to us. Coach richt was able to get 1 o-linemen in the salvage job class and he's no longer on the team, it wasnt until the 2017 & 2018 classes that we got o-linemen in almost lije we should. So again, im not sure what glasses you have on when trying to judge coach richt but im sure their not just glasses.

Greater Atlanta area has far more college ready HS players than most of Fla. No doubt DB and WR receivers are Sofla kids good as anywhere, but when you factor in DL, Ol LB than Canes got to pickup from all over.

Advertisement
Back