Diaz Temple Contract

Advertisement
The man wants to be a head coach. That doesn't happen unless you take the jump. And if Temple had $4mm/yr to spend, they wouldn't have called him.

We paid Collins $2M. We paid Rhule $2.45M. We could've paid a lot more.

Didn't have to. Manny's negotiations stopped at "pretty please can you get me out of here?"

@jhg where's the best place to follow Temple football? I think there's more than a few of us here who are going to be more interested in your program for the next year or so than the Canes. There's basically nothing to see here, but it will be interesting to follow the nuts and bolts of how Manny puts together his first staff, manages spring ball, S&C, summer work, fall practice, etc.

Advertisement
Didn't have to. Manny's negotiations stopped at "pretty please can you get me out of here?"

@jhg where's the best place to follow Temple football? I think there's more than a few of us here who are going to be more interested in your program for the next year or so than the Canes. There's basically nothing to see here, but it will be interesting to follow the nuts and bolts of how Manny puts together his first staff, manages spring ball, S&C, summer work, fall practice, etc.

Our Rivals board is private. 247/Scout is free, although the people there can be a little...off. https://247sports.com/college/temple/Board/Cherry-and-White-104514/

We paid Collins $2M. We paid Rhule $2.45M. We could've paid a lot more.

I know Temple doesn't have to make employee salaries public, like Miami. Is that what they really paid those guys? That puts them right behind Norvell for highest paid AAC coaches. Charlie Strong, an established name, only makes $1M.

Contract will run through 2023 (5 years) worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $8M.

Glimmer of hope for those who wanted Diaz as HCIW: same expiration year as Richt and I cannot imagine the buyout being too large regardless.

Also for those who asked in other threads: Diaz will indeed coach the bowl game.

Are you kidding me? Anyone here that does not realize that Richt has 1-2 years left before the guillotine falls is crazy. Frankly, how he keeps his job is an amazement, it is like watching a doctor performing malpractice to watch him coach!

Advertisement
Our Rivals board is private. 247/Scout is free, although the people there can be a little...off. https://247sports.com/college/temple/Board/Cherry-and-White-104514/

Thanks man. Wouldn't know anything about anyone being ...off. We don't get anything like that around here.

Truly rooting for your program as long as Manny is there. No idea whether he'll be a good head coach or not, but the dude seems really sharp, creative, serious, and a very hard worker. All the pieces are there, will just have to see how they come together for him.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

I think it's a case of Diaz wanting to leave more than it is him wanting to become the head coach at Temple. If it's true that he turned down App St for Temple then he is nuts.

I wonder what the relationship is really like between him and Richt.

Oh look who it is that came by the post to react. The same one who disagreed with me so often in the past on the quality of coach Richt is and how bad the hire was.

Good thing we are basing all of this off of his base contract. Incentives these days are huge part of these things. we know nothing about that. For all we know he could make 3 a year if he wins 8 games.

Advertisement
So, based on what I've seen in this thread, Manny was just fed up with Richt and his offense and the only way he could deal with his frustration and express his displeasure with Richt was to take the head coaching job at Temple for a higher salary?

Took me a while to figure it out, but I think I've got it now.

I know Temple doesn't have to make employee salaries public, like Miami. Is that what they really paid those guys? That puts them right behind Norvell for highest paid AAC coaches. Charlie Strong, an established name, only makes $1M.

Is Strong still being paid by Texas? I think he had a few years left on his contract.

Advertisement
Thanks man. Wouldn't know anything about anyone being ...off. We don't get anything like that around here.

Truly rooting for your program as long as Manny is there. No idea whether he'll be a good head coach or not, but the dude seems really sharp, creative, serious, and a very hard worker. All the pieces are there, will just have to see how they come together for him.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Thank you. Just learned his mom/mom's side is from Philly. Makes the connection more special.

I'm ******, but Merry Christmas to you too.

****. Dude left for pennies. We was going to go cut his teeth somewhere. Proud of him.

Exactly.

Anyone who thinks this is about money has no clue what's going on.

Dude didn't want to be assistant head coach; he wanted to go be a head coach NOW, so he could build his resume.

Manny's goal is to be a head coach—and wants to be the future head coach of the Miami Hurricanes. Best way to ensure that; go get some head coaching experience immediately.

Look at the past four guys at Temple and how quickly they parlayed that entry-level job into a better one; Golden to Miami, Addazio to Boston College, Rhule to Baylor and Collins to Georgia Tech.

Five years from now Manny will want the Miami job and will be up against guys with more experience; the knock on him—"... but he's never been a head coach before and lacks experiences."

Taking the Temple job changes everything for his career trajectory.

It. Was. Never. About. Money. It's. All. About. Experience.

He had the best defense of his career and only temple showed interest. He probably felt he had to jump on that offer.

Exactly.

Not to mention, he was still only their second choice. Elko was first and he chose to stay at aTm.

No one else was kicking Manny's door down—and he saw what the Temple job did for the four previous head coaches in regards to their next job.

I knew Temple wasn't breaking the bank. I'm surprised he jumped so fast.

He was their second choice behind Elko and they wanted to make a hire. Play hardball, they might've moved to their third choice. Didn't want to lose the opp.

Advertisement
Back