Diaz Not Impressed With Corn

These guys read so much into these comments and video clips , dudes acting like straight females

Advertisement
crossover22[]_[];2522035 said:
Corn is a good corner but not a true number 1 corner. Losing byrd hurt bad.
So Byrd, a guy who Tennessee moved to Safety, is a number 1 CB but Corn isn't.

You scouts with your dopey catchphrases crack me up. Now, we're getting flooded with "number 1 CB" nonsense.

I didnt say byrd was a number 1. I said it hurt losing him. I dont care what Tennessee did with him. Maybe they needed safety help.

So you dont think there are guys that are considered number 1 corners? Guys you want covering stud recievers?

Nothing Tracy Howard did on the football field was better than Corn. Diaz is trying to get him to an Elite level. He knows he's his number 1 corner and a good one at that. He's just trying to get him to be elite every snap.

I said I didn't see how Corn is automatically the [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] corner on the team. Corn is a very good nickel corner but IMO Tracy Howard was / is a better field corner for comparison.

This. Bruh, anyone who watched any FILM last year knows corn outperformed Tracy on TAPE. Corn is a solid CB and a WEAPON on the field. Enough with the [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 CB[/URL] debate. How many #1 CBs are there in the NFL anyways?? It's a position with a lot of parity -- lots of highs an lows. ****, Byron maxwell got $60 mil from the Eagles.

Let Corn put in some work this offseason and then let's judge him based off the TAPE he puts up this year. Remember--FILM doesn't lie, gentleman. Practice reports and heresay do.

Some of you need to get a grip. Corn knows how to get it done & I have no doubt he will do so but he can't do it alone.

These guys read so much into these comments and video clips , dudes acting like straight females

Its not reading into anything. Corn has been getting burnt quite often this spring and it happened a few times in the scrimmage.

And i just remember him in that game vs cincy late game situation and he was matched up in man vs a nobody wr and got beat deep for a huge gain.

He doesnt seem to be too good in man coverage and maybe playing in more of a tampa 2 would be a better fit.

Advertisement
I said I didn't see how Corn is automatically the #1 corner on the team. Corn is a very good nickel corner but IMO Tracy Howard was / is a better field corner for comparison.

What makes him a very good "nickel corner", IYO?

If you have ever played and/or coached a defense, you would know that the field corner isn't necessarily the best corner or best in coverage. The best cover guy usually plays the boundary. In college (wider space between the hashes), the easier throw is to the short side of the field. If you want to throw a quick pass to the sideline, you usually throw to the boundary, which is why you want your best cover guy on the boundary. More passes are going to go towards the boundary, so play your best cover guy at the boundary. Throwing to the field side requires timing and a stronger arm. The CB also has more time to recover. If you're thinking that you can isolate a player more to the field side, then you're neglecting the fact that he's going to have inside help by both the safety and LB. Only in trips, with the 1 WR to the wide side against cover 3, is he really isolated. Even then it's a tough throw, because the corner really emphasizes staying inside by either splitting the wr in half with his stance or he's complete inside (leverage). Some coaches move around their best WRs and have certain corners follow them, which can be at nickel, field, or boundary.

Elder, IMO, was our best corner in coverage last year. There's plenty of examples, but the one play that impressed me the most is when I saw him keep up and bat down an over the shoulder pass to Kermit Whitfield (one of the fastest players in the NCAA) on a deep crossing pattern. Not to many DBs can do that. That's a long developing play, that with good ball placement, the safety's (who wasn't there) only going to be able deflect the ball.

A what's up with redwine I thought he would be making some noise by now, don't read to much into it it's only spring these kids have the fall to showout.

Its not reading into anything. Corn has been getting burnt quite often this spring and it happened a few times in the scrimmage.

And i just remember him in that game vs cincy late game situation and he was matched up in man vs a nobody wr and got beat deep for a huge gain.

He doesnt seem to be too good in man coverage and maybe playing in more of a tampa 2 would be a better fit.

What corner last year didn't get beat? Artie, who might be a first round pick, got beat as well. He has more of the qualities that make a corner good in man coverage. Coordinated and quick feet that allows him to open up his hips and run with any wr. Better initial burst than any of our other corners, which helps you quickly come out of your break. Very good ball skills. He's also our fastest corner. Again, why are you limiting him to a tampa 2 scheme, when he posses's the ability to be successful to play in man to man? His only weakness is his size, but he's a very good and relatively physical open field tackler. The only mismatch might be against bigger more physical WRs, but even then they need good footwork.

His own coach who was an all-american and first round pick in the NFL says that he can be a #1 corner and has looked like it in practice. He hasn't needed a tampa-2 scheme to impress Rumph.

Last edited:
I said I didn't see how Corn is automatically the #1 corner on the team. Corn is a very good nickel corner but IMO Tracy Howard was / is a better field corner for comparison.

If you have ever played and/or coached a defense, you would know that the field corner isn't necessarily the best corner or best in coverage. The best cover guy usually plays the boundary. In college (wider space between the hashes), the easier throw is to the short side of the field. If you want to throw a quick pass to the sideline, you usually throw to the boundary, which is why you want your best cover guy on the boundary. More passes are going to go towards the boundary, so play your best cover guy at the boundary. Throwing to the field side requires timing and a stronger arm. The CB also has more time to recover. If you're thinking that you can isolate a player more to the field side, then you're neglecting the fact that he's going to have inside help by both the safety and LB. Only in trips, with the 1 WR to the wide side against cover 3, is he really isolated. Even then it's a tough throw, because the corner really emphasizes staying inside by either splitting the wr in half with his stance or he's complete inside (leverage). Some coaches move around their best WRs and have certain corners follow them, which can be at nickel, field, or boundary.

Elder, IMO, was our best corner in coverage last year. There's plenty of examples, but the one play that impressed me the most is when I saw him keep up and bat down an over the shoulder pass to Kermit Whitfield (one of the fastest players in the NCAA) on a deep crossing pattern. Not to many DBs can do that. That's a long developing play, that with good ball placement, the safety's (who wasn't there) only going to be able deflect the ball.

Corn was the most targeted out of the corners. Which means opposing coaches and players saw something and believed they could beat him.

Advertisement

What corner last year didn't get beat? Artie, who might be a first round pick, got beat as well. He has more of the qualities that make a corner good in man coverage. Coordinated and quick feet that allows him to open up his hips and run with any wr. Better initial burst than any of our other corners, which helps you quickly come out of your break. Very good ball skills. He's also our fastest corner. Again, why are you limiting him to a tampa 2 scheme, when he posses's the ability to be successful to play in man to man? His only weakness is his size, but he's a very good and relatively physical open field tackler. The only mismatch might be against bigger more physical WRs, but even then they need good footwork.

His own coach who was an all-american and first round pick in the NFL says that he can be a #1 corner and has looked like it in practice. He hasn't needed a tampa-2 scheme to impress Rumph.

Running a 4.55 at 5'10 175 isnt impressive or that fast. Thats why its your opinion he was the best. Your best cover corner doesnt get targeted the most among dbs.

Last edited:
Cue the this is just a motivational ploy crowd.

Good corner, but nowhere near where some had him pegged last year....as some elite corner.

We'll see what comes when the season starts. Spring and fall, I just hope the players stay healthy. The rest, it's smoke and mirrors the last decade and change.

https://youtu.be/zlach8d6OR0

:q3XKXeX: Looks like a gamer to me. And this was with no pass rush...

Last edited:

Corn was the most targeted out of the corners. Which means opposing coaches and players saw something and believed they could beat him.

That's very cliche. What was the completion percentage on those attempts? If he was in a cover 3 and they threw a hitch, while he's cover a corner route, did it count against him? If it's a pick play where they run a rub route, does it count against him? The context within those stats are more important than him being just the most targeted CB.

Do you have a link for that stat?

Last edited:
crossover22[]_[];2522035 said:
Corn is a good corner but not a true number 1 corner. Losing byrd hurt bad.

Byrd is not even a corner, UT already switched him to Safety because he doesn't have the cover skills.

Advertisement
Corn is the best CB period. He is the lock down corner on this team. He covers the top receiver regardless of opponent. He's targeted the most and he make the most plays. If he's not the best then tell me how do you guys account for this 10 and 11 win season that you claim this team will win this year?

IIRC, recently, Mike Rumph said in his interview with Joe Rose, that Corn is clearly the #1 .

"Re Corn elder: he can be the #1 that we can put on anybody. Reminds me of Duane Starks. Will hit you. Don't have to keep an eye on him."

https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/coach-rumph-wqam/98108?highlight=rumph

Nah. Corn's average. He's going to be the new voodoo doll for all these morons to stick their pins in because they buy everything a coach tells the media at face value.

^^This.

:q3XKXeX: You guys are too much. Corn can ball. This is what they call coaching--I know it's been a while since we've seen it. Diaz said he doesn't want anyone to be comfortable or feel as though they've "arrived". Get used to it.

Last edited:
Corn is the best CB period. He is the lock down corner on this team. He covers the top receiver regardless of opponent. He's targeted the most and he make the most plays. If he's not the best then tell me how do you guys account for this 10 and 11 win season that you claim this team will win this year?

I'm on board for a floor of 9 and ceiling of 11. :monkey-serious:

Advertisement

Running a 4.55 at 5'10 175 isnt impressive or that fast. Thats why its your opinion he was the best. Your best cover corner doesnt get targeted the most among dbs.

Yeah, but look what he does with his less-than-elite physical abilities... He just balls out. Imagine what he could do if he had Artie Burns measurables and speed? HE's a gamer. End of story.

I'm on board for a floor of 9 and ceiling of 11. :monkey-serious:

I'm just waiting to read the BS this 252cane comes up with since he says Corn sucks and can't play. I just want to read just how does he account for this 10 and 11 win season that he's been posting every time one of these rookie LB makes a play during practice but in a scrimmage they don't seem to be able to get off blocks. I'm just real curious to know if Corn sucks then how in the **** do he see 10 and 11 wins?

Advertisement
Back