Diaz Not Impressed With Corn

252cane

All-ACC
Going by what he said today it seems corn been struggling out there and it aint looking good for the secondary this year.

This what diaz said today.

CB Corn Elder has not solidified himself as a top-tier cornerback during the spring according to defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who expressed his displeasure after Tuesday’s practice by stating Elder has not even separated himself as the team’s best corner. “I’ll be very honest, it would be honest to say who our best corner is right now let alone second and third,” Diaz said. “That position has really got to continue to improve and all of those guys know it. Corn has the most experience, but he’s got to play at a much higher level for us to have any chance to slow anybody down.”

Advertisement
Cue the this is just a motivational ploy crowd.

Good corner, but nowhere near where some had him pegged last year....as some elite corner.

We'll see what comes when the season starts. Spring and fall, I just hope the players stay healthy. The rest, it's smoke and mirrors the last decade and change.

Going by what he said today it seems corn been struggling out there and it aint looking good for the secondary this year.

This what diaz said today.

CB Corn Elder has not solidified himself as a top-tier cornerback during the spring according to defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who expressed his displeasure after Tuesday’s practice by stating Elder has not even separated himself as the team’s best corner. “I’ll be very honest, it would be honest to say who our best corner is right now let alone second and third,” Diaz said. “That position has really got to continue to improve and all of those guys know it. Corn has the most experience, but he’s got to play at a much higher level for us to have any chance to slow anybody down.”
beat me to it, that scares me a little didn't sound like a motivational poly to me

Like i been saying a lot of these guys are not as good as you think and have been over hyped. I never saw where all the hype about corn came from.

Advertisement
I said I didn't see how Corn is automatically the #1 corner on the team. Corn is a very good nickel corner but IMO Tracy Howard was / is a better field corner for comparison.

Motivational ploy. I am not of the opinion that Elder is some star, but he's decent. If it is truly hard to tell whether he's our best corner, then we must have 2-3 decent corners on the team. In that case, we definitely should be able to slow people down. If not, maybe our defensive coaching upgrades were overstated.

Like i been saying a lot of these guys are not as good as you think and have been over hyped. I never saw where all the hype about corn came from.

How about his playmaking ability in regards to touchdowns, pbu's, ints, sure tackler and coverage ability. You can choose to look at that if you want too. Corn is good but when your are going against Stacy coley everyday your are going to get beat period.

Advertisement

How about his playmaking ability in regards to touchdowns, pbu's, ints, sure tackler and coverage ability. You can choose to look at that if you want too. Corn is good but when your are going against Stacy coley everyday your are going to get beat period.

Dude has been getting beat deep by berrios too. Corn had what 1 pick last year. He isnt a sure tackler, he has made some tackles here and there but nothing consistent.

He is a solid punt returner but that doesnt help him cover wrs. Corn is over rated. He is a solid nickle corner.

Last edited:
Motivational ploy. I am not of the opinion that Elder is some star, but he's decent. If it is truly hard to tell whether he's our best corner, then we must have 2-3 decent corners on the team. In that case, we definitely should be able to slow people down. If not, maybe our defensive coaching upgrades were overstated.

Nope. This staff has been throwing hints all spring and some of yall keep thinking its motivational **** because you refuse to believe some of these guys aint that good.

There is not 2-3 decent cbs on this team. The secondary is in trouble regardless if some are in denial or not.

Nope. This staff has been throwing hints all spring and some of yall keep thinking its motivational **** because you refuse to believe some of these guys aint that good.

There is not 2-3 decent cbs on this team. The secondary is in trouble regardless if some are in denial or not.

and yet we aren't pursuing JC Jackson with all we've got. SMFH

All of our players are terrible. Diaz gets a free pass. Corn lost all of his ability after D'Orito left.

Advertisement
Problem is he is not a great #1 corner. He is a great #2 corner and a good #1 . (LOL @ the posters who say he is "decent" corner and a "solid" nickel)

Lets not get too carried away here. Diaz needs him to be a great #1 in order for the defense to work and he is not there yet. Esp since we dont have a #2 or #3 worth talking about at the moment.

Its early. If this were Fall ball I would be concerned. After Saturday you wont hear from anyone for 4 months because it will be the offseason. He has got time to get his **** together.

I am not ready to crown anyone after we just finished getting beat by Wash St just 4 months ago. Change dont happen that fast.

Problem is he is not a great #1 corner. He is a great #2 corner and a good #1 . (LOL @ the posters who say he is "decent" corner and a "solid" nickel)

Lets not get too carried away here. Diaz needs him to be a great #1 in order for the defense to work and he is not there yet. Esp since we dont have a #2 or #3 worth talking about at the moment.

Its early. If this were Fall ball I would be concerned. After Saturday you wont hear from anyone for 4 months because it will be the offseason. He has got time to get his **** together.

I am not ready to crown anyone after we just finished getting beat by Wash St just 4 months ago. Change dont happen that fast.

If Diaz needs a bunch of CBs better than Corn for his defense to work, then his defense is ****.

There is nothing great about corn. How can you call him great when he has never really did **** to be called great.

Advertisement

If Diaz needs a bunch of CBs better than Corn for his defense to work, then his defense is ****.

Agreed. I understand that corner depth scares the **** out of me. Corn will be fine it the other 3-4 corners I'm worried about.

Nothing Tracy Howard did on the football field was better than Corn. Diaz is trying to get him to an Elite level. He knows he's his number 1 corner and a good one at that. He's just trying to get him to be elite every snap.

I said I didn't see how Corn is automatically the #1 corner on the team. Corn is a very good nickel corner but IMO Tracy Howard was / is a better field corner for comparison.

I think its a bit of both he also said in past interviews he doesn't want any of them comfortable. But I also think our CB's are very average.

Advertisement
Back