Diaz has some thoughts

I have heard UM scholarships are open ended and they can come back and finish when they want is that the case? Doesn't help them on the field but **** sure does in life.

Advertisement
Those who laughed at RJ and Norton were negged. Perhaps it's my 45 years of watching college football and the game evolve... I hate to sound like old man yelling at cloud, because it is ultimately up to the player and if they want to leave, more power to em..... However.... the talent pool is large, very large, and if the entire coaching staff, hardcore fans, and advisory board thinks you are making a mistake, there's a 99% chance that you are, in fact, making a mistake. I hope Amazon or UPS is hiring after he gets cut.

Sad thing this isn’t a Randy Shannon or al golden staff, Mark richt consistently put players in the league at high draft spots, if he is telling you to be patience, that’s a no brainer...be patient‼️

Advertisement
If Norton were "**** good" he wouldn't have been drafted in the 7th round.

He was a bit better than what we've had recently.

Way worse. Norton was a **** good DT for two years. McCloud might not even be starting next year.

Hopefully while this draft was going on (from Day 1 to Day 3), our staff made connections with current Cane player's who are thinking about making that leap early!! Ppl will tell you all kinds of things, BUT it's all about sitting down with the right ppl and understanding the process..

I'm not sure how everyone else feel about Diaz's quote, BUT I like it!! Honestly every underclassman for Miami should've came back for their Senior year.. Getting those player's back would've made the road much easier and they would've benefitted from it!!

I wish the NCAA would adopt the same rule as College Basketball to Football. Where a player, who don't sign with an agent has a chance to come back. I never understood why they don't apply that to Football.

It wouldn't matter. The Advisory Board is essentially the same thing. A college basketball player can't enter the Draft without an agent, not get drafted and then return to school. The player has to not sign with and agent and then withdrawal from the draft by a date well BEFORE the Draft.

Steve Kerr and some other guys have been on the record wanting to switch it to what I think you thought the system was though.

it was a perfect tweet for Diaz to respond to and send a message to these Miami kids that went late without taking a direct shot at them

I think it not only applies to these kids listening to agents, but recruiting as well. These kids, and parents for that matter, want their ears tickled v. hearing the truth. The truth hurts, sometimes, but it will set u free. I hope kids learn to differentiate who has their best interest in mind v. the ones who give advice who have THEIR best interest in mind.

Advertisement
Being drafted on day 3 isn't all that different from being an UFA. The stat to look at is what percentage end up on a 53 man roster.

4th round is fine...

But once you get to the 5th round...in particular, Pick 170-ish...there is just a dramatic drop off in career approximate value...basically, if you're drafted at that point your chance of success is minimal and your potential contributions to a team are lacking to the point you are a very easy cut. You aren't in line for many reps at mini-camp or training camp and truly, the difference between you and a UDFA is you likely picked up your phone on Day 3 and the other player did. Those UDFAs specifically find teams, many local, with the goal of making the team so they are eying you (5th-6th-7th round pick) up like fresh meat.

Its why everyone marks out for Tom Brady or Shannon Sharpe as late round Hall of Famers...they are so rare. Not just the HoF part, but the fact that they contributed at all.

For RJ McIntosh and Kendrick Norton...the journey just got a lot harder. They didn't help themselves by preparing like absolute dog **** and testing like a regular joe off the street.

seriously you guys that honestly think RJ McIntosh was going to improve his draft stock next year are ridiculous.
Dude had elite TFL production while here, but ultimately tested terribly at the pro day and didn't even do anything at the combine due to Thyroid health issues - not something that combing back another year were gunna fix. Secondly he would then be competing with Gerald Willis for snaps. potentially cutting his snap count in half or something - certainly not going to help his draft stock. Lastly, next years DT class is ******* loaded. Theres like 4 DTs that could be 1st round talents: Ed Oliver, Dexter Lawrence, Christian Wilkins, Rashan Gary are all guys that are 1st round talents. Then its pretty deep as well. This dt class this yr was seen as semi-weak.

McIntosh made a solid decision to leave early, as far as his NFL draft prospects. Norton obviously made a bad choice.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think it not only applies to these kids listening to agents, but recruiting as well. These kids, and parents for that matter, want their ears tickled v. hearing the truth. The truth hurts, sometimes, but it will set u free. I hope kids learn to differentiate who has their best interest in mind v. the ones who give advice who have THEIR best interest in mind.
This 100% this. Kids are told what they want to hear during recruiting in high school
And then get to school and almost need some reprogramming to realize they aren’t the goat to ever lace them up. Then they get a chance TJ think about the draft and again you have people blowing smoke up their *** telling them how great they are and they take the bait hook line and sinker.

Richt and Diaz met with Norton and McIntosh at seasons end and told them the truth and they chose to listen to agents and people who don’t know what they’re talking about.

At the end of the day these kids need better people in their corner who tell them the truth even if they don’t want to hear it and advise them to make better choices.

Advertisement
Back