Diaz has some thoughts

seriously you guys that honestly think RJ McIntosh was going to improve his draft stock next year are ridiculous.
Dude had elite TFL production while here, but ultimately tested terribly at the pro day and didn't even do anything at the combine due to Thyroid health issues - not something that combing back another year were gunna fix. Secondly he would then be competing with Gerald Willis for snaps. potentially cutting his snap count in half or something - certainly not going to help his draft stock. Lastly, next years DT class is ******* loaded. Theres like 4 DTs that could be 1st round talents: Ed Oliver, Dexter Lawrence, Christian Wilkins, Rashan Gary are all guys that are 1st round talents. Then its pretty deep as well. This dt class this yr was seen as semi-weak.

McIntosh made a solid decision to leave early, as far as his NFL draft prospects. Norton obviously made a bad choice.

This is a clown post. Jesus. Mcintosh would have easily been a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year. The differences between 2-3rd round money and 5th round money, as well as the odds of even having a ******* job which drop catastrophically once you slip into the 5th round, make it obvious to everyone with a brain cell except you that Mcintosh ****ed up.

Advertisement
This is a clown post. Jesus. Mcintosh would have easily been a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year. The differences between 2-3rd round money and 5th round money, as well as the odds of even having a ******* job which drop catastrophically once you slip into the 5th round, make it obvious to everyone with a brain cell except you that Mcintosh ****ed up.
At a bare minimum he probably would've more than doubled his signing bonus up to 760k, if he went at the end of the 3rd round. If he were to climb to mid 2nd round he would've had around 2.5 mil guaranteed. Another productive year and there's no way he slips past there, and would've had another year to get bigger and stronger, his biggest negatives.

Here's an interesting link that was posted on another board - sorry I can't copy it

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/

it shows you the bonus, salary and total payout to each guy drafted this year. Definitely a bit of an eye-opener

So Norton is getting a $75K signing bonus. After taxes, agent fees, attorney fees, training for the draft, miscellaneous fees, he maybe walks away with $25 - $30K net. Yup, makes sense to leave early for that.

At a bare minimum he probably would've more than doubled his signing bonus up to 760k, if he went at the end of the 3rd round. If he were to climb to mid 2nd round he would've had around 2.5 mil guaranteed. Another productive year and there's no way he slips past there, and would've had another year to get bigger and stronger, his biggest negatives.

ding ding ding!

Advertisement
So Norton is getting a $75K signing bonus. After taxes, agent fees, attorney fees, training for the draft, miscellaneous fees, he maybe walks away with $25 - $30K net. Yup, makes sense to leave early for that.

Yup. People keep looking at the overall dollar figure and don't take into account all of the fees associated with getting this far. Plus on average, your agent takes home around 3-5%.

LOL! Forget buying a new BMW or Mercedes, I don't think you can even buy a new Honda Accord for that.

This makes me cringe. How stupid....nvm...wish him luck.

Advertisement
Max fee for the NFL is 3%. 4% for NBA and 5% for MLB

Correct and the agents were ****ed about the change. Standard fee is 1.5% which could top out at 3%. I reviewed a standard contract for a kid I'm sponsoring a month ago.

He also had to get better as a pass rusher. 5 career sacks in 3 years isn't going to cut it in a throwing league. He could have greatly improved there moving up two to three rounds next year.

Correct and the agents were ****ed about the change. Standard fee is 1.5% which could top out at 3%. I reviewed a standard contract for a kid I'm sponsoring a month ago.
Yes, the NFLPA doesn't like agents too much. They changed the language in the Standard Representation Agreement so that 1.5 is now the set default unless negotiated differently. They need to look up the history of agents in our country so they don't forget how professional contracts became lucrative.

This 100% this. Kids are told what they want to hear during recruiting in high school
And then get to school and almost need some reprogramming to realize they aren’t the goat to ever lace them up. Then they get a chance TJ think about the draft and again you have people blowing smoke up their *** telling them how great they are and they take the bait hook line and sinker.

Richt and Diaz met with Norton and McIntosh at seasons end and told them the truth and they chose to listen to agents and people who don’t know what they’re talking about.

At the end of the day these kids need better people in their corner who tell them the truth even if they don’t want to hear it and advise them to make better choices.

100% agreed.. When it comes to this process, it's all about listening to the right ppl and agents "are the last ppl you listen too"!! BUT these player's also have to understand where they stand, this has been happening for years, it's time for player's to start learning from other ppls mistakes..

I really wish player's would come out and give these future player's some advise!! Just tell them the type of ppl they need to take advise from at this stage in their careers, especially the underclassmen who just taking a gamble..

Next year, Miami will be I that same Position with a bunch of underclassmen having a decision to make.. I just hope player's like Norton and RJ can let them know, who are the ppl they need to take their advice from!!

Advertisement
100% agreed.. When it comes to this process, it's all about listening to the right ppl and agents "are the last ppl you listen too"!! BUT these player's also have to understand where they stand, this has been happening for years, it's time for player's to start learning from other ppls mistakes..

I really wish player's would come out and give these future player's some advise!! Just tell them the type of ppl they need to take advise from at this stage in their careers, especially the underclassmen who just taking a gamble..

Next year, Miami will be I that same Position with a bunch of underclassmen having a decision to make.. I just hope player's like Norton and RJ can let them know, who are the ppl they need to take their advice from!!

I agree we need to make an anti agent task force. Yearby, Norton, and Kaaya could be the CEO, COO, and CSO. Then we could get guys like Streeter to be assistant members. They could go around and tell their horror stories to all juniors thinking about making the jump.

I don't see Norton moving up much if he stayed.

Respectfully, I strongly disagree. One more year under Felder would have been very helpful for him at NG. He was stronger during the early part of the season, then faded and disappeared the final three games. He needed more stamina and strength to handle the wear and tear. Will be MUCH harder in the NFL with full grown men.

Advertisement
Wasn't aware of that. Thought it was more, depending on the agent. I knew it couldn't go above 5%.
I think it used to be 4% for football but that dropped to 3% in the early 2000s I want to say. The cut for marketing/endorsements is typically in the 15-25% range however, but NFL players also earn much less in endorsements than basketball and baseball players do.

I agree we need to make an anti agent task force. Yearby, Norton, and Kaaya could be the CEO, COO, and CSO. Then we could get guys like Streeter to be assistant members. They could go around and tell their horror stories to all juniors thinking about making the jump.

LOL.. I'm not saying they need to do all that, BUT it would be nice to have former players come in and speak to the player's about these type of decisions!! And the best player's to do it, is the player's that some have played with, give them first hand knowledge on what happens when you listen to the wrong ppl..

LOL.. I'm not saying they need to do all that, BUT it would be nice to have former players come in and speak to the player's about these type of decisions!! And the best player's to do it, is the player's that some have played with, give them first hand knowledge on what happens when you listen to the wrong ppl..

I agree with you bro. I was just playing, but for real they need to get those players like Norton, Kaaya, Streeter, Yearby, etc. to come back and talk to these guys and explain how badly they wish they could come back and play another year. When Richt and Diaz tell them to comeback they probably figure he is trying to BS them to come back so his team could do better not to boost their draft stock, but if one of their boys who they played with for years gets in their ear it might make them stay.

Advertisement
Back