Diaz has some thoughts

Coming out early as a true JR DT to get into the 5th round is colossally stupid. And you're even dumber for thinking otherwise. Every man on earth can see that it was stupid, yet here you. Christ dude.
you're very stupid.
...and it was 2 picks into the 5th.

acting like he is guaranteed to be drafted higher after getting a 25-50% cut in PT and in a draft next yr where the deepest position in the entire draft is DT.

Advertisement
NFL drafts A LOT based on potential with performance at times taking a back seat. I don't see how so many on here are making such massive assumptions about the jumps the two DTs were going to make after one more season.

Neither of the two had off the chart numbers at the combine or pro days. What information is being used to say RJ was going to automatically jump three rounds in the NFL draft by staying?

IMO there was a greater possibility of Norton losing valuable snaps to Willis than him having some type of transformative season enabling him to jump up somebody's board.

Not saying either wouldnt have been helped by staying, but I don't see this slam dunk, sure thing some on here do.

Advertisement
you're very stupid.
...and it was 2 picks into the 5th.

acting like he is guaranteed to be drafted higher after getting a 25-50% cut in PT and in a draft next yr where the deepest position in the entire draft is DT.

Next years draft is stacked but McIntosh would have been in the top 10, maybe even top 6 if he improved and that would be good enough to get him into the 3rd round. RJ's production needed to get better where it mattered for a 3-technique guy in the NFL--pass rush. He had 7 batted balls last season which is good, but only 5 career sacks.

I'm not sure how many snaps he would have lost to Willis. Would have impacted Bethel and Ford the most. I think we all hope Willis has an outstanding season, but he is an enigma. Not overly productive in his backup role in 2016. Do agree with you in that Willis has the potential to be just as productive if not more than McIntosh and certainly should be the better pass rusher.

i would rather be an UFA after the 4th round. Not much different from being drafted in the 5th, 6th, or 7th aside from a team having the 1st opportunity to waste ur time and cut u for reasons that have nothing to do w/ ur talent.

Did yall see the endless list of no names that got drafted ahead of RJ and Norton??... NFL scouts are clueless. Kendrick Norton is better than over half of the DTs drafted ahead of him same goes for RJ.

Advertisement
i would rather be an UFA after the 4th round. Not much different from being drafted in the 5th, 6th, or 7th aside from a team having the 1st opportunity to waste ur time and cut u for reasons that have nothing to do w/ ur talent.
Nope McIntosh just got a 320000 signing bonus in the 5th round, you don’t get anywhere near that being undrafted

Had Norton stayed he would not have lost snaps to anyone. Norton is a 1 tech, Willis is a 3 tech. Norton would have been the starter at nose. The way we rotate DT's anyway even if McIntosh had stayed he would have gotten about as many snaps as he did this year rotating with Willis.

The benefit of staying a year is : maturity, strength and conditioning, a chance to increase your numbers, show NFL scouts you are consistent. If scouts feel you are not there yet, then you should probably stay and get serious about getting your **** together. Chad Thomas, while not having a spectacular year this year, stayed and showed the NFL he is a consistent backside disruptor at SDE. NFL teams can use that, hence he upgraded his draft stock.

Advertisement
You cant tell me that both dt’s wouldnt have done better in next years draft than 5th&7th rounders. Smh
Yea and you can't tell me that they would have. Let's let adults decide when they want to go make money and not work for free while that same coach makes money. I bet if mannys kids were top baseball players they'd go to college instead of minors. **** him

I respect your opinion but I disagree. He may have tested poorly but he’s much quicker on film than what his testing number showed. I think his biggest shortcoming is strength which at 21-22 years old he can definitely still improve and he could’ve added some more weight. Outside of Miami fans, nobody knew who he was coming into the year and he had no buzz, Norton was considered better than him by most. Another year with hype going into the season absolutely could’ve changed things for him.

Anyone who thinks that another year in Miami's S&C program and another year of tape wouldn't have done RJ a ton of good is delusional (but then again consider the source of that original nonsensical opinion, CaliNative).

RJ's production was good, but college production isn't enough to validate getting drafted high. RJ a) showcased some technical shortcomings like bad run fits at times (our defense as a whole did this, one reason we were susceptible to big plays on the ground) and a weak pass rushing ****nal, and b) is flat out not strong enough to be an NFL DL right now, especially in the lower half. Both could have been improved upon with another year in college (A) through repetition and film study and B) through another year in a Power 5 S&C program).

The NFL, especially in the trenches, is big boy football. The NFL isn't paying big dollars for a guy who is not strong enough to walk on the field as a rookie and get meaningful snaps. They don't have time for that. There's a reason both were advised by the league to return. They chose to ignore that advice and cost themselves a lot of money, RJ in particular.

Last edited:
**** i stand corrected... 5th round making good money too i see.

Not really. Not sure if signing bonuses are taxed as normal income or supplementary wages (let's assume it's the latter so 22% income taxes, then whatever state/city/county taxes exist). Then 3% to your agents. That's solid, but not exactly sustainable. Once you start getting your actual contract and get taxed in that higher bracket even more goes away, coupled with not having a fully guaranteed contract and that **** goes fast.

Advertisement
lose 25-50% of his snaps. you talk about "hype" but the scouts know who he is dude. Hype dont affect **** but the media
Again his past 2 seasons of production put him at an all-pro level analytically in terms of TFLs. he didn't get too many sacks though, and his athleticism was just plain atrocious.

Look i'm not saying I don't really like McIntosh or think he'll be successful, or that it'd be impossible for him to reach the 3rd/4th and make more money. but to act like it's a guarantee and that it isn't risky as **** is wrong. He was ******* 2 picks away from being a 4th rounder anyways. And I'm telling you for a fact next years DT class is ******* loaded.

McIntosh did not make a mistake declaring early. I think it was in his best interest to. Norton ****ed up though without a doubt.

It really is hilarious to watch you argue against a logical hypothetical, with another hypothetical that isn't anymore likely that you just ascribe to.

The same way you're convinced there's no guarantee he would've improved his draft stock next year is the same way there's no guarantee Willis would've took half his snaps. It seems like you chose this hill to die on though so I doubt any logic will coax you from it. Good luck!

It really is hilarious to watch you argue against a logical hypothetical, with another hypothetical that isn't anymore likely that you just ascribe to.

The same way you're convinced there's no guarantee he would've improved his draft stock next year is the same way there's no guarantee Willis would've took half his snaps. It seems like you chose this hill to die on though so I doubt any logic will coax you from it. Good luck!
no im not arguing a hypothetical. I'm talking straight facts. You guys are acting like McIntosh was going to return and improve 3 ******* rounds
Fact 1 - with Willis in the picture, McIntosh has literally no chance to get 75% of the workload he did last year. They play the same exact ******* position.
Fact 2 - Next yr is absolutely LOADED with DT talent. This is just a fact. Can you bums admit that?

I just find it funny that YOU GUYS are the one attacking McIntosh by basically calling him an idiot for leaving early. I'm the one defending him and you guys are acting like I'm being the ******* regarding his potential. lol, my argument has nothing to do with whether McIntosh will improve, get better, or stay the same. I'm basing it on all the surrounding factors, which are just plain true. You guys failing to comprehend this are ignoring it because it doesn't fit your narrative that McIntosh made a mistake by declaring early, when he didn't. Notice how not a single person except for me has talked about how loaded the 2019 DT class is or how McIntosh is GUARANTEED to get a pretty big reduction in PT. Those are facts. McIntosh could very well get stronger and better by returning but end up getting drafted the same or later due to the talent surrounding him.

Anyone who thinks that another year in Miami's S&C program and another year of tape wouldn't have done RJ a ton of good is delusional (but then again consider the source of that original nonsensical opinion, CaliNative).

RJ's production was good, but college production isn't enough to validate getting drafted high. RJ a) showcased some technical shortcomings like bad run fits at times (our defense as a whole did this, one reason we were susceptible to big plays on the ground) and a weak pass rushing ****nal, and b) is flat out not strong enough to be an NFL DL right now, especially in the lower half. Both could have been improved upon with another year in college (A) through repetition and film study and B) through another year in a Power 5 S&C program).

The NFL, especially in the trenches, is big boy football. The NFL isn't paying big dollars for a guy who is not strong enough to walk on the field as a rookie and get meaningful snaps. They don't have time for that. There's a reason both were advised by the league to return. They chose to ignore that advice and cost themselves a lot of money, RJ in particular.
lol way to not even argue with what my point is. Can RJ improve if he returned? Yes. Will that make him drafted higher? Not neccessarily. Yall are acting like just because he gets stronger it will bump him into the 2nd round are just deluded. He's already a terrible athlete, what do you think adding stregth/weight is going to do?
Also lets stop acting like he was a mid/late 5th round pick. He was pick 2 in the 5th round. He was essentially already a 4th rounder. He was the 11th DT taken!!! And Hurst went after him and that was only due to health issues. So basically he was evaluated to be the 12th DT in this class. How much do you think he'd improve when next yrs DT class makes the 2018 class look like complete ****?

Advertisement
Back