Dewan Huell not playing tonight

Yeah, I don't think an injury would keep him around. Bruce Brown had a crappy season and was injured and still left. Huellnandez is a Bruce Brown caliber NBA prospect.

I meant it in the sense that he could rehab here on the school's dime and get his degree.

Brown's injury isn't the type I was thinking of.

Advertisement
Christy Chirinos just wrote something about the situation in the Sun Sentinel.

Read it - same b.s. NCAA blah, blah, blah. The longer he sits, the more likely there's some whiff of an infraction that will cost the young man his final year. What a shame - one of the few we get to return, and he can't play. And we lost an entire year of recruiting just because our name is Miami. You can't make this stuff up if you tried.

Chirinos said Larranaga told her that it is an "NCAA issue," not a UM Compliance Office matter. And, there is no timeline for Dewan's return.

Advertisement
Coach L explicitly says in the new presser, regarding Dewan's "playing situation" - ' I don't think it is in UM hands; I think it is in the NCAA's hands'.

That could mean a lot of things (including he is intentionally being evasive or non-truthful, or that the Compliance folks are not telling him the full story or truth.) Tired of arguing here with some forceful opinions, but I will take that Coach L statement for what's it's worth, to me that it is his presumably-well-informed "word".

When several tweeters called Christy on this, she said she would re-listen to the interview tape again. But, she sounded pretty sure that what she wrote was what she heard Coach L say, i.e., that the delay was on the NCAA. I guess Coach L has to protect the school in this case. Did not sound like he implied at all that Dewan's sitting out was "on UM."

When several tweeters called Christy on this, she said she would re-listen to the interview tape again. But, she sounded pretty sure that what she wrote was what she heard Coach L say, i.e., that the delay was on the NCAA. I guess Coach L has to protect the school in this case. Did not sound like he implied at all that Dewan's sitting out was "on UM."

I listened to that statement on tape by Coach L 3 times, there is No Doubt, he did say ...was on the NCAA...

I listened to that statement on tape by Coach L 3 times, there is No Doubt, he did say ...was on the NCAA...
So, once again, we are at the NCAA's mercy. Hindsight: Should never have left Nike for Adidas. Once again, $$$ talked!

Advertisement
Coach L explicitly says in the new presser, regarding Dewan's "playing situation" - ' I don't think it is in UM hands; I think it is in the NCAA's hands'.

That could mean a lot of things (including he is intentionally being evasive or non-truthful, or that the Compliance folks are not telling him the full story or truth.) Tired of arguing here with some forceful opinions, but I will take that Coach L statement for what's it's worth, to me that it is his presumably-well-informed "word".

It's in the NCAA's hands because UM compliance is waiting for the NCAA to reach a determination on his eligibility. This is what happened to DQJ. He got suspended for his entire senior season so the NCAA could review his eligibility. He "only" missed 10 games because he hired a lawyer and challenged the ridiculous process. In the Huellnandez case the NCAA has even less motivation to reach a conclusion with additional federal trials upcoming. Who knows what info could come out in the trials? Thus Huellnandez is stuck in limbo. Consigliere and I have been saying this since the Lehigh game: the only way Huellnandez gets back on the court in a Miami uniform this season is by hiring an attorney and going after UM aggressively.

It's in the NCAA's hands because UM compliance is waiting for the NCAA to reach a determination on his eligibility. This is what happened to DQJ. He got suspended for his entire senior season so the NCAA could review his eligibility. He "only" missed 10 games because he hired a lawyer and challenged the ridiculous process. In the Huellnandez case the NCAA has even less motivation to reach a conclusion with additional federal trials upcoming. Who knows what info could come out in the trials? Thus Huellnandez is stuck in limbo. Consigliere and I have been saying this since the Lehigh game: the only way Huellnandez gets back on the court in a Miami uniform this season is by hiring an attorney and going after UM aggressively.
Agreed that Coach L can be truthfully stating that it is in the NCAA's hands because, for reasons you stated or otherwise, UM Compliance PUT it in NCAA's hands by choice

I don’t understand why our fan base doesn’t understand your first sentence. It is ONLY an issue because we made it an issue.

It is only before the NCAA because we’re a bunch of overreactive group of potatoes.

People need to stop finding logic and reasoning from these decision makers.

So, once again, we are at the NCAA's mercy. Hindsight: Should never have left Nike for Adidas. Once again, $$$ talked!

NO. How many times are we going to go through this?

We’re only at the NCAA’s mercy because we choose that route. Completely voluntarily.

Dewan is NOT ineligible. If Dewan is ineligible, that would be a different story.

Advertisement

Because we brought the “issue” to the NCAA.

You drive a car. From time to time, the warning light goes on and you take the car to get fixed. Obviously if you drive a car and you know there are issues, you can be held liable for the damage caused to others.

One day you hear other similar cars may have issues. On those cars, there are no visible issues and the warning lights don’t go on.

Everyone continues to drive their cars, no warning lights go on. No actual issues are reported.

In fact, since there is so much talk about issues, the US Department of Transportation states “there are no issues with you driving your car.”

With that said, you take the car to get looked at by the mechanic. You tell them that “you have no clue whether something is wrong, there is no evidence of any issue and the USDOT made that statement but... can you search?”

Consigliere, I no longer buy the argument that it's all UM doing it to ourselves. Gotta be more substance to this. Coach L would not sit by and idly play the stooge to the charade you describe.

Michelle Kaufman got a little testy when I asked her on twitter why we're doing it differently than the other schools

Advertisement
Consigliere, I no longer buy the argument that it's all UM doing it to ourselves. Gotta be more substance to this. Coach L would not sit by and idly play the stooge to the charade you describe.

I am going to try one more thing with you because this is way beyond tinfoil helmet stuff.

Are you an employee or an employer?

Why did Coach L "sit by and idly and play the stooge" to the charade we described with DQJ?

No knock on L, but ultimately UM signs his 7 figure paycheck. He'll follow whatever policy they establish.

I am going to try one more thing with you because this is way beyond tinfoil helmet stuff.

Are you an employee or an employer?
Neither. Retired.

Does it really matter how it got into the NCAAs hands? I'm sure you are correct that we sent the matter to them when we didn't have to. Regardless, it IS in their hands now! Can we agree on that?

Advertisement
Back