Devonte Bond’s potential

bigsonnyu

Sophomore
When speaking of the true gems of our incoming recruiting class, guys like Artie Burns, and S. Coley immediately come to mind. But we should be equally excited about Devonte Bond!

The reason stems from the fact that this kid plays extremely fast, and has a lot of natural intangibles off the edge as a pass rusher, that we haven’t seen here in a good while. He doesn’t allow the OL to lock him up, and he sorts through traffic, like a heat seeking missile!

From what I saw in the spring, my thoughts are that Bond will be used similar to how the coaches were moving T. McCord around.

For the guy to come in as an OLB, he still has to fight for the position, even though I like his chances with that too. I think we’ll get more of an instant impact, from this guy by using him as a DE.

In looking at his highlight again last night, it struck me how strong this guy is, as well as being quick... So much so, that I think he can handle the point of attack vs the run against an OT on 1st & 2nd down. (Note: 3rd n short, we can bring in Hamilton at DE, and stand Bond up at OLB)

Who else is standing in his way at DE? Now if we have some surprises from guys that prove they can lock the DE spot down, cool, by all means, move Bond around, and limit him as an edge rusher on passing situations…

Question is, can Devonte Bond give us 10+ sacks this year? He has all of the potential to do it, but how can he best be used to get it done?

What do you guys think???

[video] www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNaCX5gYIxU[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
10 sacks is about what we had as a team last year. Pretty lofty goal.

Obviously we don't have a lot to go on with him but looking at our brief history, finding explosive athletes out of the woodwerks, coupled with impressive film, yeah I would say I am pretty optimistic about this kid.

10 sacks is about what we had as a team last year. Pretty lofty goal.

Obviously we don't have a lot to go on with him but looking at our brief history, finding explosive athletes out of the woodwerks, coupled with impressive film, yeah I would say I am pretty optimistic about this kid.

I agree that 10 sacks can be considered lofty, considering our recent history defensively.

VT and Clemson made the top 25 in sacks last year (FSU #26). And guess who is known for making noise for our conference over the last few years.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1049

In order to take that next step, of being a championship caliber team, we gotta have a guy that can impact the game in the form of multiple sacks this season. It's time to make a leap defensively, and I think this guy is capable helping us get there.

10 sacks by a dynamic player, on a championship team isnt that lofty on those terms.

We just have to have it if we're going to make a real push towards something rewarding this year!

Totally agree. You can't have a good defense without getting pressure on the QB and causing turnovers.

We constantly make ****** QBs look good because all these D1 kids can make throws if they have all day to do it.

Not saying 10 can't happen, just going to need to see this defense prove it a little bit first. They showed nothing on that front last year.

Advertisement
JHall is correct. Predicting 10 sacks is setting the kid up to be blasted on this site come Nov because he only has 3 sacks and we expected him to come in and "Jerome McDougle" it out the gate. Lets just hope the kid can get to the QB and cause some pressure. And adjust to the speed of D1 ball. I say 6 sacks is do-able. Counting the gimme sacks he should get against the likes of Savannah state and FAU.

What does enrolling early have to do with his ability to rush the passer?

Also, he's 240+ not 230.

Advertisement
1 - We'll see how he handles the speed and strength of the D1 O-line and RB's attempting to block him. He's got a lot of speed and power, but he isn't used to playing against the D1 level speed and power. Hopefully he'll handle it well. I think if he would have shown up early, it would give him more looks at that.

2 - We need a full defensive effort for 1 person to get 10 sacks I believe. Better coverage, better run support and a much improved pass rush. All areas on D should improve given the experience they now have. Bond will step in and fill this gap well, but 10 in his 1st season I do think is a little high. But hey, McCord led the team with sacks his True Freshman year with what, 4? Anything is possible. I would love to see it happen personally.

Also, he's 240+ not 230.

still 240 lb JUCO player is not getting 10 sacks his first year in major college football. Tackles are going to throw him around he is not big enough. Enrolling Early would have given him 15 more practice to get used to the speed of the game, to go up against good competition and to get in a real S & C program and not doing curls in front of the mirror.

Also, he's 240+ not 230.

Agreed.

I said it so many times last year I lost count, but the only people on the team that looked comfortable attacking the QB last year were Deon and EJ. We blitzed and attempted pressure a lot more than people gave credit for, but 99% of the time the blitzer would run smack into a linemen or FB and get stonewalled. Deon in particular had that ability to get under and around, which is raw ability. Bond looks like that kind of guy but we will see.

Bond is one of my favorite recruits from this past class. I expect him to make an instant impact. He can be great for us if he can get comfortable enough with the defense to play some SAM and some DE (getting the assignments down for each position is my biggest concern with him).

I expect him to be on the field a lot

Advertisement
Bond is one of my favorite recruits from this past class. I expect him to make an instant impact. He can be great for us if he can get comfortable enough with the defense to play some SAM and some DE (getting the assignments down for each position is my biggest concern with him).

I am with you, we need a pass rush and we need some type of mismatch. I believe Bond brings that at SAM or DE.

Agree. Position will dictate his numbers. I don't expect 10 sacks from him play SAM, but if he moves to DE on passing downs like I hope his numbers should be better.

Chick lead the team in sacks last yr with 4. We should be trilled if Bond can give us 5.

Advertisement
I expect him to be around 6 sacks. If he can get 6 sacks it will be enough for this team overall. Chick should be able to bounce back with 8+ sacks, McCord should be able to get 6+ sacks, AQM or Hoilett might be able to make a contribution with 4-5 sacks and if we get a few from the rest of the DE's and DT's we should be able to get to the 30 sack range which would be a huge improvement.

Also, he's 240+ not 230.

still 240 lb JUCO player is not getting 10 sacks his first year in major college football. Tackles are going to throw him around he is not big enough. Enrolling Early would have given him 15 more practice to get used to the speed of the game, to go up against good competition and to get in a real S & C program and not doing curls in front of the mirror.

Bruce Irvin...

[video=youtube;yqyixwqiCag]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqyixwqiCag[/video]

I think AQM will also add to our pass rush. 10 sacks is a tall order, but it's doable if we get pressure up the middle. Bond's speed off the edge would really benefit from that push up the middle.

I think AQM will also add to our pass rush. 10 sacks is a tall order, but it's doable if we get pressure up the middle. Bond's speed off the edge would really benefit from that push up the middle.

Yup and a heftier McCord. I still think McCord is another year away from unlocking his potential but he could still get in there and make some plays this year. Him as a Junior and AQM as a sophomore are going to be really really good I think.

We could use Terry as well if everything works out there.

Advertisement
Back