Devonte Bond’s potential

What does enrolling early have to do with his ability to rush the passer?

Also, he's 240+ not 230.

still 240 lb JUCO player is not getting 10 sacks his first year in major college football. Tackles are going to throw him around he is not big enough. Enrolling Early would have given him 15 more practice to get used to the speed of the game, to go up against good competition and to get in a real S & C program and not doing curls in front of the mirror.

Something tells me this kid isn't going to be tossed around very easily.

101.jpg

McCodrd gave us 4 sacks as a freshman, and granted McCord has time to mature, but he isnt as nearly as strong, fast, or athletic as Bond is right now.

Advertisement

Also, he's 240+ not 230.

still 240 lb JUCO player is not getting 10 sacks his first year in major college football. Tackles are going to throw him around he is not big enough. Enrolling Early would have given him 15 more practice to get used to the speed of the game, to go up against good competition and to get in a real S & C program and not doing curls in front of the mirror.

McCodrd gave us 4 sacks as a freshman, and granted McCord has time to mature, but he isnt as nearly as strong, fast, or athletic as Bond is right now.

oh yeah a JUCO kid in Golds Gym doing dumbbell curls cant be thrown around by 300 lbs tackles doing Olympics lifts for 3 year in a real S & C program.

Imagine Bond vs Seantrel in an Oklahoma drill

He is going to have to play SAM he cant play end unless UM is going to play a 3-4 and he is a hybrid. If you play a 4-3 and he is a end they are going to run right at him.

Last edited:

Also, he's 240+ not 230.

McCord gave us 4 sacks as a freshman, and granted McCord has time to mature, but he isnt as nearly as strong, fast, or athletic as Bond is right now.

oh yeah a JUCO kid in Golds Gym doing dumbbell curls cant be thrown around by 300 lbs tackles doing Olympics lifts for 3 year in a real S & C program.

He is going to have to play SAM he cant play end unless UM is going to play a 3-4 and he is a hybrid. If you play a 4-3 and he is a end they are going to run right at him.

Excuse me for projecting Devonte Bond as a guy that's going to have some fight in him, based on the way he actually plays "on film", and based on him being more physically gifted/mature than T. McCord, who gave us 4 sacks last year; while playing DE mind you.

Maybe the atributes i see in Devonte Bond isn't worth 6 more sacks, even though he more physically mature than a freshman. LULZ!

By the way, the Oklahoma Drill isnt the end all of success in getting in the backfield. there's space and opportunity out there on the football field buddy!

A flash of speed, and the next play a 300 Lb OT is going to over-compensate. Don't underestimate the combination of speed, strength, and endurance.

Last edited:
Whether you guys disagree on the actual numbers and the severity of getting tossed around, he's got a valid point. Being an EE only helps him acclimate to the speed of the game and it takes a special player, Juco or not, to have a huge impact in year one. We're going to see if he can do it but I think we'll see Bond more as a pure pass rusher early in the year with him possibly playing on more early downs as he gets comfortable

Advertisement

Also, he's 240+ not 230.

Dude get the fvck outta here already. Nobody needs your view on Canes football.

Bond is one of my favorite recruits from this past class. I expect him to make an instant impact. He can be great for us if he can get comfortable enough with the defense to play some SAM and some DE (getting the assignments down for each position is my biggest concern with him).

I expect him to be on the field a lot

Lack of pressure on the QB has been, by FAR, our biggest problem defensively over the last few years. Guys think the DC can simply snap his fingers and turn guys into pass rushers, but pass rushers, for the most part, are born, not created. Great pass rushers have that uncanny ability to move fast while almost being horizontal.

Excuse me for projecting Devonte Bond as a guy that's going to have some fight in him, based on the way he actually plays "on film", and based on him being more physically gifted/mature than T. McCord, who gave us 4 sacks last year; while playing DE mind you.

Maybe the atributes i see in Devonte Bond isn't worth 6 more sacks, even though he more physically mature than a freshman. LULZ!

By the way, the Oklahoma Drill isnt the end all of success in getting in the backfield. there's space and opportunity out there on the football field buddy!

A flash of speed, and the next play a 300 Lb OT is going to over-compensate. Don't underestimate the combination of speed, strength, and endurance.

Didnt Miami as a team have something like 12 or 13 sacks last season? And you think some JUCO kid is going to come in and produce 75 percent of the sacks the whole team had last year? It is going to have to be a team effort with a guy like Chickillo leading the way. If Bond can give you 5 sacks that will be a great year.

Advertisement

Also, he's 240+ not 230.

Dude get the fvck outta here already. Nobody needs your view on Canes football.

Shhhhh!!! He brings a lot to the board according to the classy evolved ***gots who converse with him on here and welcome him with open limp-wristed arms.

Didnt Miami as a team have something like 12 or 13 sacks last season? And you think some JUCO kid is going to come in and produce 75 percent of the sacks the whole team had last year? It is going to have to be a team effort with a guy like Chickillo leading the way. If Bond can give you 5 sacks that will be a great year.

Ufag logic. Because UM had no quality pass rushers LAST YEAR means that Bond can't be a good pass rusher this year. Stupid *** ****.

Advertisement
I expect McCord & Bond to each have around 4-6 sacks this year.

Much more realistic.

SMH...So a full year worth of valuable playing time and experience coupled with all the hard work in the off season, is only worth something like a .02% gain the following year? ....geesh!

and Bond? Just about all JUCO's struggle in their first year especially at the beginning of the year. Div.1 is a different animal compared to JUCO, all depends on how well he adapts to the speed of the game. Not being a EE didn't help.

Advertisement
The reason teams recruit jucos is because they're instant contributers. Most are 20-21 and are physically ready to play, K State has been living with this Bill Snyders entire career.

I doubt Bond has double figure sacks but the reasons mentioned by the Gaytor makes no sense.

Bond is 240 so the size is just fine for a pass rusher so I don't get that argument .

Btw, heres some of the top sack guys in the NCAA last year ( all are in the top 20).

Jamie Collins 6'4 239

Damontre Moore 6'4 248

Quanterus Smith 6'5 249

Kyle Van Noy 6'3 235

Travis Johnson 6'3 244

Jarvis Jones 6'2 242

Trevardo Williams 6'2 233

Carl Bradford 6'0 237

Philip Steward 6'1 223

A Barr 6'4 235

Ten of the top 20 sack guys are in the 240's or lighter and all these guys had double digit sacks.

I don't know what to think of Bond. His tape shows that he has an incredible burst through the hole to get to the passer, and unless all our opponents go up-tempo on us, I can see the coaches experimenting with him on obvious passing situations to see if he can repeat his Juco performance. I doubt he gets enough reps in the early games, though, to put up numbers like 10 sacks for the year, as he needs to prove himself first, as well as beat out McCord, Terry, AQM and Figueroa as staff's go-to for an OLB/DE rush end. Regardless, he'll make everyone else better, including our OL.

The reason teams recruit jucos is because they're instant contributers. Most are 20-21 and are physically ready to play, K State has been living with this Bill Snyders entire career.

I doubt Bond has double figure sacks but the reasons mentioned by the Gaytor makes no sense.

Bond is 240 so the size is just fine for a pass rusher so I don't get that argument .

Btw, heres some of the top sack guys in the NCAA last year ( all are in the top 20).

Jamie Collins 6'4 239
I listed a combination on reasons why. Coming from JUCO , weight , scheme and other people on the team. Players like Barr and Jarvis Jones play in a 3-4 as OLB/DE. I even touched on that the scheme would have to change for him to play DE. But go ahead and ignore those comments. Have Bond play DE in a 4-3 and see how people run right at him all year and wear him the **** out.

Bottom line is 10 sacks is a lot and for a variety of reasons it is unrealistic. More realistic is McCord and Bond combine for 10 and Chickillo gets 6 or 7. That is 16 or 17 just between 3 people.

Advertisement
Back