Devonta Smith

Spent 7 years at Rahway State back in 70s. I only work in black. Now that I am retired you pick the day. LOL

I think that would mean that you were there when Braxton was fighting out of there? I used to watch him on tv as a kid

One of the best light heavyweights in the 80s, changed his name to Dwight Muhammad Qawi (The Camden Buzzsaw). Greats fights with Mathew Saad Muhammad, the two Spinks brother, even another fight with another inmate, James Scott at Rawway. won all of these fights. He started loosing when we moved up to heavyweight. He was only about 5'9" but packed a punch.

Yep. I remember the name change and every one of those fighters. I grew up a big boxing fan. Those were great fighters and great fights. Thanks for bringing back the memories!

I remember going to see the first Duran vs. Leanard fight at the old Jersey City colony theatre. No cable or internet at that time, LOL. Most of the folks on this board were not even born then, LOL. **** I remember seeing all the Puerto Rican vs. Mexican fights. Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Wilfredo Gomez, Pepino Cuevas vs. Duran, Wilfredo Benitez vs. Duran, Duran vs. Hagler, etc, etc. Those were some awsome fights. To go 15 rounds at that time you had to have balls and tons of stamina. Most of the pussies now barely make it 10 rounds. Those guys made it look easy.

****, NDE, you're bringing back memories... I watched those same fights in Passaic , I think the Capitol theatre was the name.. Yeah very few good fighters today, but the welterweight division is loaded. I used to fight for Silk City boxing club in Paterson, ol' Eddie Johnson (MadDog) was my trainer. I had a lot of matches in Camden back in the young days, LOL, **** I fought all over. Boxing is definitely The Sweet Science!!

Nice to bring back those memories.

Advertisement
I disagree, I see highlights all the time like u all, there are certain players who look good (smith) and there are certain players who look better than the field by far (Thomas), last years elite to me was ar82 when they basically are scoring every play.

Just because he's under 6 feet doesn't make him less of a prospect. Thomas is rated higher and he dominated a field of elite players with one week of practice, that equates to let's go outside and see who is better? He's only going to get faster, quicker, not to mention his ability on the other side of the ball.

I can't figure out why besides his height you like smith more? Maybe hands at this stage but that's a toss up at this point.

Chad Thomas and Ahmon Richards were BAMA locks as well gong into signing day.

Richards yes, but not Chad. There was levels of concern of a flip but he was hardly a lock for Bama.

Lol not really. Richards has been committed to UM for over a year under Golden and then de-committed when Golden got fired. It was pretty obvious that Richards was coming to UM.

Chad Thomas was committed to UM for a long time and never decommitted. Horrible comparisons.

Spent 7 years at Rahway State back in 70s. I only work in black. Now that I am retired you pick the day. LOL

I think that would mean that you were there when Braxton was fighting out of there? I used to watch him on tv as a kid

One of the best light heavyweights in the 80s, changed his name to Dwight Muhammad Qawi (The Camden Buzzsaw). Greats fights with Mathew Saad Muhammad, the two Spinks brother, even another fight with another inmate, James Scott at Rawway. won all of these fights. He started loosing when we moved up to heavyweight. He was only about 5'9" but packed a punch.

Yep. I remember the name change and every one of those fighters. I grew up a big boxing fan. Those were great fighters and great fights. Thanks for bringing back the memories!

I remember going to see the first Duran vs. Leanard fight at the old Jersey City colony theatre. No cable or internet at that time, LOL. Most of the folks on this board were not even born then, LOL. **** I remember seeing all the Puerto Rican vs. Mexican fights. Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Wilfredo Gomez, Pepino Cuevas vs. Duran, Wilfredo Benitez vs. Duran, Duran vs. Hagler, etc, etc. Those were some awsome fights. To go 15 rounds at that time you had to have balls and tons of stamina. Most of the pussies now barely make it 10 rounds. Those guys made it look easy.

Saw that figt at a movie theatre in New YOrk, and caught probably all or most of the other ones. The fighters were warriors, not so much today.

****, NDE, you're bringing back memories... I watched those same fights in Passaic , I think the Capitol theatre was the name.. Yeah very few good fighters today, but the welterweight division is loaded. I used to fight for Silk City boxing club in Paterson, ol' Eddie Johnson (MadDog) was my trainer. I had a lot of matches in Camden back in the young days, LOL, **** I fought all over. Boxing is definitely The Sweet Science!!

I knew Lust would get in on this, especially NJ boxing. I saw the 1st and 2nd Leonard Duran fights and I am certain that I saw both but definitely the 2nd "no mas" one at the Miami Beach Convention Center as a kid. I actually saw Leonard fight live there when I was 11 years old in 1977.

Advertisement

Lust: Yeah, boxing was my favorite sport when I was younger. Now boxing is BS and little competition and pussies fighting each other. I used to box for the Boys and Girls Club in Jersey City from 1969 to 73 when I was caught doing some stupid **** that young kids from the hood used to do back then when you had no brains. Tried boxing at Rahway but tore my shoulder in 73. I had no health insurance and always waked around with a bum shoulder until I was in my mid 40s and finally got it repaired. LOL. Let me tell you a story. First time I went to Miami in the 70s I had a cousin who told me he was going to drive me through the "hood". After a half hour I told the MF, "When we gonna get there". She said we have been driving in the hood for over half an hour. I feel over laughing. My version of the hood is having to walk up 10 flights of stairs cause the elevator was broken in the projects, having to close you nose with all the **** smell and hoes sucking off some dude on the 5th floor. Here even the hood had palm trees and back yards, LOL. Back then you had pit bulls fighting. Now all you get is Pretty Boy Floyd types. Take care.

I knew Lust would get in on this, especially NJ boxing. I saw the 1st and 2nd Leonard Duran fights and I am certain that I saw both but definitely the 2nd "no mas" one at the Miami Beach Convention Center as a kid. I actually saw Leonard fight live there when I was 11 years old in 1977.

I sat with Haglers wife in the second row in the two fights in Boston Garden. My girlfriend baby sat for them and my family was best friends with the Petronellis. I've been to all kinds of sporting events, I have never heard a crowd like that in my life. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNhVhtOLJE8

Advertisement
Tee Higgins ****s on ur whole list

Jerry juedy is second no way smith is in his league IMO but we will see. I thought JJ to be number one but when I saw Jeff at the under armour game I said daaaaaam who DA fuq is that

I take Thomas over everyone not named Jeudy.

1. Jeudy
2. Higgins
3. DPJ
4. DJ Matthews
5. Henry Ruggs
6. Thomas or Grimes
8. Smith

LOL at DJ Matthews over Thomas. That's the funniest one I've heard yet.

We continue to have posters who will try to bring down our commits/targets, it never ends. Had Jeudy signed with us you'd probably have him #7 or 8.

Tee Higgins was voted the most disappointing player of the UA Game/week btw. Not sure why you love him, he's a step below all those other guys though.

Not bringing Thomas or Smith down at all , they are very good. But do yourself a favor go look at highlights of the ones I have above him. Especially DJ Matthews. He is the most talented and runs the quickest routs of all of them. Very skinny though, which is is why I moved him down to 4. If he was 15 pounds bigger, he would have been 2 on the list. Wish he was here. Higgins is almost 6'5", that is the main reason I have him up there. In his HUDL's, seems like he can go get it. Have seen a ton of WR's over the years who were not burners, but very good WR. Being a WR is much more than how fast u run a 40.

But, I am more than happy to get 1 of Thomas/ Smith. Getting both of them would be an absolute great job by Richt.

Advertisement
Chad Thomas and Ahmon Richards were BAMA locks as well gong into signing day.

Chad Thomas and Demetrius Jackson were thought to be heading to Arkansas not Bama. I remember a lot of Arkansas were ****ed because supposedly both gave commitments on there visit there.
False Jackson was Ark and Thomas was Bama
That's BS unfortunately. Chad openly hated his OV to Bama.

(didn't really mean to quote you specifically here just too lazy to change it)

Not sure where you heard that but this link begs to differ

Five-star DE Chad Thomas giving Alabama 'a good look' after 'best visit ever' (video) | AL.com

They got selective memory cause they want to not cause they actually don't remember. Everybody said he was Tomming it up playing the piano with Satan & his wife.

I sat with Haglers wife in the second row in the two fights in Boston Garden. My girlfriend baby sat for them and my family was best friends with the Petronellis. I've been to all kinds of sporting events, I have never heard a crowd like that in my life. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNhVhtOLJE8

That's awesome. I used to know Leonard a little in the early 2000's but knew his Business Manager more. Hagler still wouldn't talk to him. Hagler was ripped off. He deserved to win that fight. I can't remember if it was Hagler and Hearns that fought for 2 or 3 rounds but it was the greatest 2-3 rounds ever.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Been saying it,Devonta smith is a different type of kid

It's been a long road to National Signing Day for Amite (La.) five-star wide receiver Devonta Smith, but February 1 is upon him. After taking official visits to LSU, Alabama and Florida State, the South's No. 1 wide receiver has an official visit to Miami (Fla.) left and will visit Coral Gables this weekend before announcing his decision next Wednesday.
The No. 26 overall player in the country went in-depth with Scout to talk official visits and his upcoming decision. Plus, the 6-1, 170-pound receiver's final in-home visits are set.

"Just for my family."

With balancing basketball season and official visits, Smith said it all takes its toll on him, but the main reason why he takes the official visits are for his family.
This past weekend at Alabama, Smith said he slept in his hotel room for most of the weekend, having arrived in Tuscaloosa late Friday night after a basketball game. Smith's time spent at Alabama was similar to his two other official visits, he told Scout on Monday night.
“It was good. Really didn’t do nothing. That was just for my family,” Smith said of his Alabama visit. “My family did everything they had planned for them. I didn’t really do anything. That was just for them to see what they wanted to see. I think it went well. It was my grandfather's first time there.”

Devonta Smith
6'1" / 167 lbs
WR RANK
LA WR RANK
OFFERS

AnalysisA smooth wide receiver who plays fast. He gets off the ball quick and really sets up defenders well. He is explosive on the football field. He catches the ball well and knows how to make adjustments on the ball. Once he gets the ball in his hands, he is elusive in the open field. He is on the lean side, so he needs to get stronger, add mass to his frame, and start to fill out, but that will come. He constantly runs away from defenders. He really knows how to stick his foot in the ground and shoot out of his breaks when running routes. Overall, he is a dynamic playmaker. He knows how to make big play after big play.

CLOSE
As far as when Smith met with Alabama coach Nick Saban and receivers coach Billy Napier, there wasn't much pressure. Just talking a little ball.
“We just talked football. That’s all. Everything I had already seen already,” Smith said.
FSU was a surprise visit for most as head coach Jimbo Fisher and company only just asked Smith and his family to visit. Smith obliged and on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Smith was in Tallahassee for an official visit.
“I’ve been up there a couple times. That was for my mother for her to see it. They hit me up and wanted me to come,” Smith said. “They said they need playmakers. She thought it was good.”
Florida State was back with Fisher and assistant coaches Randy Sanders and Lawrence Dawsey on Monday, spending the whole day at Amite High School in Louisiana before watching Smith's basketball practice. The Seminoles have jumped into what was a three-team race with Alabama, LSU and Miami.
Right before his trip to FSU, Smith and his family LSU made the short trip to Baton Rouge. While Smith didn't do much except hang in the hotel room, not even talking to host D.J. Chark, just like on his other visits, Smith's family got the royal treatment and was impressed.
“Just for my family. All these visits are for my family since I’ve seen everything,” Smith said. “They like how the coaching staff is going things. They just wanted to get to know my family more.”
While on campus, Smith did get pitched by offensive coordinator Matt Canada and receivers coach Dameyune Craig, who has been instrumental in getting LSU back in the race for Smith.
“Just telling me how the offense is opening up more. I did some film with coach Craig,” Smith said. “We watched some of the drills they do. He’s a great man and a great teacher. Our relationship has grown tremendously.”

LSU 5-star target Devonta Smith talks Top 3

SAN ANTONIO -- Five-star wide receiver DeVonta Smith rebounded from a tough rep during practice Tuesday before detailing the latest on his college football recruitment including…

by John Garcia, Jr.
Scout Football01/04/2017
Ed Orgeron made his pitch to Smith and his family too. Smith has been impressed with how the Louisiana native has energized the players.
“He said if I choose to go to LSU, he let me know how many people I’d make happy in this town,” Smith said. “Just how he’s turned things around. The players seem to have more fun around the program now.”
As far as his final visit to Miami, Smith said the same thing. It's just for his family even if Mark Richt once held a verbal commitment from Smith.
“It’s just for my family. I’ve been down there twice. It’s just for them,” Smith said. “They’re trying to see what type of men the coaches are and how the program is.”
Where do things stand heading into National Signing Day? When asked about each school, Smith just said it's all even.
“To be honest, all the schools are the same. Great coaching staffs, great men, great programs,” Smith said. “I really don’t know what separated from everyone else.”
Jimbo Fisher and FSU assistants (Photo by Billy Embody)
Final In-Home Visits Set for Smith

With the final week of his recruitment underway, who's expected in to see Smith? Here's the rundown:
Monday: Fisher wrapped up his final visit with Smith.
Tuesday: Richt and four Miami assistants are expected in to visit Smith in Amite.
Wednesday: Orgeron, Canada and Craig are expected in-home to represent the Tigers.
Thursday: Saban, Napier and offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian are expected to visit for the Crimson Tide.
Sunday: Plenty of assistants will want one more chance, but one source hinted that by that point, Smith might just want to think things over as he'll arrive back from Miami that night.
Devonta Smith (Photo by Chad Simmons)
National Signing Day (Morning) Decision

So when does the No. 1 receiver in the South expect a decision?
“It’ll be early in the morning on Signing Day. Me, my mother and father will talk about it Tuesday night that will talk about it,” Smith said. “My decision will be based upon me and where I want to go. They’re good with any of these.”
It's been a long road, but it's finally here. Smith doesn't take it lightly, but even as he says he's undecided, he says it's been a blessing.
“I’m ready for it to be out of the way. It’s real tough because it’s great programs to choose from. It’s a blessing, but it’s very tough,” Smith said. “I don’t know where I’m going yet.”
Smith plans on having a ceremony at Amite High on February 1 to announce his decision and sign his letter of intent.
SCOUT EVALUATION OF SMITH:
"A smooth wide receiver who plays fast. He gets off the ball quick and really sets up defenders well. He is explosive on the football field. He catches the ball well and knows how to make adjustments on the ball. Once he gets the ball in his hands, he is elusive in the open field. He is on the lean side, so he needs to get stronger, add mass to his frame, and start to fill out, but that will come. He constantly runs away from defenders. He really knows how to stick his foot in the ground and shoot out of his breaks when running routes. Overall, he is a dynamic playmaker. He knows how to make big play after big play." -Chad Simmons

Sounds like he hates the recruiting spotlight. That's awesome. Good luck to the kid. At worst hoping he chooses LSU over Bama.

Advertisement
Back