Devonta Smith visited FSU the last couple days

This is what has everyone so shook. So many signing day flops. I was friends with a member on the Canes staff during the Al Golden coaching days. In 2013...we got burnt so bad it soured me on recruiting for a while. I still have the message saved. They "felt good" about so many players that we didn't get it wasn't funny. Here was the message...so positive just a week or 2 before signing day (I will leave alot out but the relevant details are here and I added comments in red):

"AQM is an excellent addition...we need dominant pass rushers and with him and Bond already in the boat. Timmy is icing. Tim will commit to us on his visit which is the weekend of the 18th. However the chances are we won't make that public so we don't have to deal with Bama or FSU trying to steal him...basically fend off the attack with silence. Matt Thomas is scheduled to announce on ESPN on signing day its looking good for us especially since FSU has lost 6 coaches this off season. Denver Kirkland is good but if he weren't MTs teammate probably would not be getting as much attention from us. We have 13 commits right now and we are only signing 20 so we have 7 spots.

Jermaine Grace - LB - Done Deal
Alex Collins - RB - Loves the attention of recruiting but will be a Cane (whiff)
Matt Thomas - LB - Cane (whiff)
Tim Williams - LB - Has done everything but say the words (whiff...I think he committed to Bama the next day LOL)
Rashard Robinson - DB - Closing in he wants to come here but mom got paid by LSU already so we are trying to fight that off (whiff)
Jaynard Bostwick - DT - Stud hes a Cane (whiff)
Stacy Coley - WR - Different kid but we're the only place hes visited
Keith Bryant - DT - Immature couple years away from making an impact if we lose him we are ok with it not the end of the world as some may think (whiff)
Denver Kirkland - OL - Like I said if he helps get MT6 we will take him (whiff)
Marcus Hardison - Juco DT - Gonna be a dude but got on him late still got work to do on him (whiff)"

These are kids...they will tell one staff something and do the complete opposite. Keep that in mind Dee...however I'm fully aware that Richt and his crew aren't the amateurs that Golden was. I'm cautiously optimistic that thing are turning around in recruiting.

And why are you bringing these kids up? God there were a lot of trolls in that class and a lot of weird recruitments
Just like Harley, Holloman, Henderson, and Edwards in this current class.

Those kids werent trolling and arent trolling yall just think they are because they arent committed here
I didn't say they were all trolling. But you cannot deny that they are all "weird recruitments" per the bolded part of the QP. With that said, Harley is 100% trolling. What else would you call committing to a school (WVU), calling the bowl game between the two schools pursuing you "the Harley Bowl", shutting down your recruitment, then visiting another school (UM), telling people you're still committed to WVU, and then announcing that you are going to be making your decision on NSD despite never decommitting from your original commitment? That's some quality trolling.

What happens Inext the public eye isn't usually what happens in private. Key here to remember is we didn't offer him till Far down the line.

Advertisement
This is what has everyone so shook. So many signing day flops. I was friends with a member on the Canes staff during the Al Golden coaching days. In 2013...we got burnt so bad it soured me on recruiting for a while. I still have the message saved. They "felt good" about so many players that we didn't get it wasn't funny. Here was the message...so positive just a week or 2 before signing day (I will leave alot out but the relevant details are here and I added comments in red):

"AQM is an excellent addition...we need dominant pass rushers and with him and Bond already in the boat. Timmy is icing. Tim will commit to us on his visit which is the weekend of the 18th. However the chances are we won't make that public so we don't have to deal with Bama or FSU trying to steal him...basically fend off the attack with silence. Matt Thomas is scheduled to announce on ESPN on signing day its looking good for us especially since FSU has lost 6 coaches this off season. Denver Kirkland is good but if he weren't MTs teammate probably would not be getting as much attention from us. We have 13 commits right now and we are only signing 20 so we have 7 spots.

Jermaine Grace - LB - Done Deal
Alex Collins - RB - Loves the attention of recruiting but will be a Cane (whiff)
Matt Thomas - LB - Cane (whiff)
Tim Williams - LB - Has done everything but say the words (whiff...I think he committed to Bama the next day LOL)
Rashard Robinson - DB - Closing in he wants to come here but mom got paid by LSU already so we are trying to fight that off (whiff)
Jaynard Bostwick - DT - Stud hes a Cane (whiff)
Stacy Coley - WR - Different kid but we're the only place hes visited
Keith Bryant - DT - Immature couple years away from making an impact if we lose him we are ok with it not the end of the world as some may think (whiff)
Denver Kirkland - OL - Like I said if he helps get MT6 we will take him (whiff)
Marcus Hardison - Juco DT - Gonna be a dude but got on him late still got work to do on him (whiff)"

These are kids...they will tell one staff something and do the complete opposite. Keep that in mind Dee...however I'm fully aware that Richt and his crew aren't the amateurs that Golden was. I'm cautiously optimistic that thing are turning around in recruiting.

And why are you bringing these kids up? God there were a lot of trolls in that class and a lot of weird recruitments
Just like Harley, Holloman, Henderson, and Edwards in this current class.

Those kids werent trolling and arent trolling yall just think they are because they arent committed here
I didn't say they were all trolling. But you cannot deny that they are all "weird recruitments" per the bolded part of the QP. With that said, Harley is 100% trolling. What else would you call committing to a school (WVU), calling the bowl game between the two schools pursuing you "the Harley Bowl", shutting down your recruitment, then visiting another school (UM), telling people you're still committed to WVU, and then announcing that you are going to be making your decision on NSD despite never decommitting from your original commitment? That's some quality trolling.

Ah my bads I misread you, yes i agree with you there though i just think most you listed are just torn as to what to do, I think harley is one of them these kids second guess a lot ive seen it a lot first hand

- Four-star receiver Devonta Smith visited LSU and FSU – which was a surprise, but the Bama staff knew about it. ‘Noles sources say they felt the visit went good, and that they have a puncher’s chance. LSU sources also indicated the visit went well. At this point, however, the home-state school seems to be on the outside looking in with Bama still the leader heading into the final two weeks, per sources close to the situation. Miami is the dark horse here possibly, as the Hurricanes will get the last crack at the Amite (La.) product at the end of the month.

- Four-star receiver Devonta Smith visited LSU and FSU – which was a surprise, but the Bama staff knew about it. ‘Noles sources say they felt the visit went good, and that they have a puncher’s chance. LSU sources also indicated the visit went well. At this point, however, the home-state school seems to be on the outside looking in with Bama still the leader heading into the final two weeks, per sources close to the situation. Miami is the dark horse here possibly, as the Hurricanes will get the last crack at the Amite (La.) product at the end of the month.
Yeah I was going to post that from the bama board earlier. I read another post This morning from sec country and they said fsu was behind his leaders bama/lsu/miami

Battle of the sources.

Advertisement
I get the feeling no one knows **** about Devonta Smith. He's a quiet dude.

But I like how Alabaga thinks he needs their permission to take the visits he's taking.

Until Smith himself does a detailed interview I'm not even going to guess how he's thinking. Kids who are this quiet can easily shock you

And bama is starting to clear space for guys. They had a kicker commited who just decommited. And dean gone. And there is talk about a couple other guys in there class possibly being signed and stashed.

Advertisement
http://https://dsportsnews.com/new-team-enters-the-race-for-one-of-alabamas-top-targets-and-a-new-db-to-track/“They’re in the top 4,” Smith said. He did say that the Seminoles remain behind Alabama, LSU and Miami, which all hold the top spots in his recruitment.

This is the article I was referring to earlier

Devonta Smith’s surprise official has new team in the mix
Nowadays, it’s hard to take a “surprise” recruiting trip anywhere with the world of social media. But, somehow, 4-star wide receiver and major Alabama target Devonta Smith pulled it off this past weekend when the Louisiana native visited Florida State.

The Seminoles now are in a four-team race with the Crimson Tide, LSU and Miami. SEC Country’s Sam Spiegelman caught up with Smith at Amite (La.) High School on Wednesday to get the latest on how his official visit to FSU affects his recruitment, and it’s not bad news for Alabama.

“They’re in the top 4,” Smith said. He did say that the Seminoles remain behind Alabama, LSU and Miami, which all hold the top spots in his recruitment.

Devonta Smith by Chris KirschnerDevonta Smith will make his commitment on National Signing Day. (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

Alabama wide receivers coach Billy Napier was in Amite on Wednesday to meet with Smith and his coaches. Smith has previously said that out of all the coaches he talks to, he may not be closer to any coach than Napier.

As written multiple times on SEC Country, the relationships Smith has at Alabama trump those at the other three schools in the mix. Alabama’s assistant director of player personnel Sam Petitto got his coaching start at Amite High School and was an influential person in Smith’s life when he was growing up. Defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt was one of Smith’s primary recruiters when he was at Georgia, where Smith was once committed. He’s also good friends with Alabama freshman defensive back Shyheim Carter.

Smith has been to Tuscaloosa countless times and will be back there this weekend on an official visit. He doesn’t need to see anything else for him to make a decision on whether Alabama is the school he’ll commit to on National Signing Day. This trip this weekend is mainly for his mother to get a feel for the school.

“This is really for my family to get the feeling of how it is,” Smith said.

LSU is still viewed as the biggest competitor for Smith, but one source close to the program said the Tigers’ confidence in having him in their signing class is waning.

Tigers offensive coordinator Matt Canada and wide receivers coach Dameyune Craig have been all in on making Smith feel like a priority. Their message to Smith on why he should choose LSU is interesting.

“Come be different and come to LSU,” Smith said. “Be different. Don’t go places where they talk about throwing the ball. Here, it’s opening up. It’s opening up.”

I’m not sure if the LSU staff is taking a veiled shot at Alabama when talking about the Tide’s offense or not. But Alabama is surely a run-first offense and has been for quite some time.

Even with that being said, Alabama should be considered the favorite to land Smith when he makes his commitment. He was set to commit to the Tide back in August but ultimately delayed his decision due to the tragic flooding that swept through the state. Nothing has changed since then, and spending this weekend around all of the Alabama commits and coaches should reassure Smith of his likely college destination.

Last edited:
Devonta is one weird dude. If he acts as weird in college as he's currently acting I'm not sure I even want him.

He's quiet, that's weird? He's handled it with complete class. No Twitter scenes or any other gimmicks. He isn't that much different from Donaldson in that regard. With both of them no one really knows a **** thing. Hence why everyone has been his leader. Teams recruiting boards just write what they want. If anything our board has stayed even keel. I like where we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devonta is one weird dude. If he acts as weird in college as he's currently acting I'm not sure I even want him.

I respectfully disagree. How is he acting "weird"? You mean because he's not acting like a prima donna little bytch posting every little thought on twatter, trashing people one day and then begging them to follow him the next? Seems to me the only thing weird about him is that he's taking his decision seriously, visiting and considering his options and not taking the opinion that the whole world should know or care about his every little thought and desire. I'll take as many of this guy at the U as we can get.

Advertisement

I respectfully disagree. How is he acting "weird"? You mean because he's not acting like a prima donna little bytch posting every little thought on ****ter, trashing people one day and then begging them to follow him the next? Seems to me the only thing weird about him is that he's taking his decision seriously, visiting and considering his options and not taking the opinion that the whole world should know or care about his every little thought and desire. I'll take as many of this guy at the U as we can get.

Didn't expect t. w. a. t. to get censored... pssshhhh

Wait for it.........Wait for it.......... He's Dee Jay's ace! There, I said it. (Sarcasm Guys)

hes not wierd. he is actually handling it the right way instead of playing games on social media and putting fake hats on his table.

Advertisement
That dude going to bama. Was commited to richt but he says his best relationship is with bama staff. Thats the 2nd interview he has sad it.

That dude going to bama. Was commited to richt but he says his best relationship is with bama staff. Thats the 2nd interview he has sad it.

He didn't say that this interview. The writer stated that he has said that in a pasti nterview specifically speaking the one when arrived at the army game

Yep, it's looking more and more like he's a lock to Bama. I know what dee has said and that some feel confident, but I've seen this story too many times with kids going to Bama. Also know it doesn't make much practical sense considering he wants early playing time, but Bama is Bama.

I fully expect to get negged to ****, but it just seems this is the unfortunate reality of the situation until we show kids we're back.

Advertisement
Back