Devaughn Mortimer, WR Dillard '22

Are we not expecting Malik Curtis to take over at PR and KR at some point?
This board has always been higher on Malik Curtis than I am.

Jacolby George did a good job as PR this year and will probably hold it going forward. I just personally believe George can be a star WR and would like to take him off returns if we had a guy who could be just as good. I really like Mortimer and think it's a mistake to pass on him.

Advertisement
Was always a fan of this kid.. had that speed we need bad.. but if he didn't come here happy to see him flip from FSU somewhere else..

Jacolby look more like a smooth type player, not really a returner wit alot of juice.. hopefully someone else emerges with game breaking speed

With this kid going to L'Ville it just makes me believe that this was more about deciding to go OOS in the end more than anything else.

Only other reason would be that Mario received a certain big time WRs letter of intent and can't say anything to allow the kid to have his moment at an all-star game.

Outside of that, doesn't make any sense to me, because you cannot have a 1WR class in an Air Raid system.....a system that Mario is allegedly on record telling Jacurri and WR recruits that we will be keeping with our incoming OC

This board has always been higher on Malik Curtis than I am.

Jacolby George did a good job as PR this year and will probably hold it going forward. I just personally believe George can be a star WR and would like to take him off returns if we had a guy who could be just as good. I really like Mortimer and think it's a mistake to pass on him.

Did we pass on him? I may be wrong, but it hasn't seemed like he had any interest in UM for a loooong time.

There have been plenty of other kids who have expressed interest in UM, UiF, and/or F$U throughout all the ups and downs of 2021, but I just don't remember Mortimer being one of the guys who seemed to care about UM, either in interviews or social media.

Advertisement
With this kid going to L'Ville it just makes me believe that this was more about deciding to go OOS in the end more than anything else.

Only other reason would be that Mario received a certain big time WRs letter of intent and can't say anything to allow the kid to have his moment at an all-star game.

Outside of that, doesn't make any sense to me, because you cannot have a 1WR class in an Air Raid system.....a system that Mario is allegedly on record telling Jacurri and WR recruits that we will be keeping with our incoming OC
He told Jacurri power spread, not air raid. And 2, we didn’t recruit him.

He told Jacurri power spread, not air raid. And 2, we didn’t recruit him.
He implied that we'd be keeping what everyone saw with TVD at the helm....TVD ran when he absolutely HAD TO RUN so what we saw with TVD vs what we saw with King at QB

King ran a Power Spread OFF and TVD ran an Air Raid OFF

He implied that we'd be keeping what everyone saw with TVD at the helm....TVD ran when he absolutely HAD TO RUN so what we saw with TVD vs what we saw with King at QB

I read the article. It was in the herald. The words were power spread.

POWER SPREAD’

Brown was recruited by former UM offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, who was recently hired as SMU’s head coach. He said Cristobal told him the offense would “be power spread for sure.’’

Brown watched UM practice for the Dec. 31 Sun Bowl this past weekend during his visit, and said acting offensive coordinator Rob Likens, UM’s usual receivers coach, “had a lot of fun.’’

Advertisement
POWER SPREAD’

Brown was recruited by former UM offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, who was recently hired as SMU’s head coach. He said Cristobal told him the offense would “be power spread for sure.’’

Brown watched UM practice for the Dec. 31 Sun Bowl this past weekend during his visit, and said acting offensive coordinator Rob Likens, UM’s usual receivers coach, “had a lot of fun.’’
Not sure how I feel about that then. Not going to go into that right now though, will await on the OC decision.

I think we wait this one out. Kid will get homesick and probably be in the portal next year, unless he goes Tutu up there, because he has that type of potential.

Advertisement
It's not wishing it's been the trend
Think about what it's saying about your program if you're relying on bringing in kids that failed elsewhere. It's like hiring a coach from a failed regime, e.g., Houston hiring DoNo as DC.

That's not to say the portal doesn't have its place. IMO it most effective to plug a "few" holes rather then cover up recruiting misses (or faulty recruiting strategy).

Think about what it's saying about your program if you're relying on bringing in kids that failed elsewhere. It's like hiring a coach from a failed regime, e.g., Houston hiring DoNo as DC.

That's not to say the portal doesn't have its place. IMO it most effective to plug a "few" holes rather then cover up recruiting misses (or faulty recruiting strategy).

Exactly. I’m sure the poster meant no harm but we really have to think about what we’re saying. If he enters the portal he failed to meet expectations at UL. Wish the kid well and make sure we don’t miss another talent like him again.

Advertisement

I agree the portal shouldn't be the primary focus of a healthy program's recruiting, but I don't follow necessarily the reasoning in your QP. It assumes way too much and gives way too much credit to the coaches/team an athlete comes from.

Just of the top of my head, you are assuming: (1) the athlete failed at his prior school (plenty, like KJ, are looking to come up for draft purposes); (2) he was given a fair chance to succeed; (3) his coach(es) properly evaluated him relative to his peers; (4) he had opportunities to succeed; (5) his coach(es) got the most they could from him; (6) he has reached his maximum level of development; and (7) there wasn't some other factor that impeded the athlete's success. The truth is, coaches sometimes make mistakes, coaches sometimes misevaluate their own players, coaches don't always place their athletes in the best position to succeed, programs don't always do a great job developing their athletes, some athletes take longer to develop or for the light to turn on, and sometimes a change of scenery can really motivate someone to improve.

I agree that the portal should still be secondary to HS recruiting at a healthy program, but I also think the portal isn't going away and has become a significant/important part of recruiting.

I agree the portal shouldn't be the primary focus of a healthy program's recruiting, but I don't follow necessarily the reasoning in your QP. It assumes way too much and gives way too much credit to the coaches/team an athlete comes from.

Just of the top of my head, you are assuming: (1) the athlete failed at his prior school (plenty, like KJ, are looking to come up for draft purposes); (2) he was given a fair chance to succeed; (3) his coach(es) properly evaluated him relative to his peers; (4) he had opportunities to succeed; (5) his coach(es) got the most they could from him; (6) he has reached his maximum level of development; and (7) there wasn't some other factor that impeded the athlete's success. The truth is, coaches sometimes make mistakes, coaches sometimes misevaluate their own players, coaches don't always place their athletes in the best position to succeed, programs don't always do a great job developing their athletes, some athletes take longer to develop or for the light to turn on, and sometimes a change of scenery can really motivate someone to improve.

I agree that the portal should still be secondary to HS recruiting at a healthy program, but I also think the portal isn't going away and has become a significant/important part of recruiting.

The poster mention the kid being homesick and entering the portal. Nothing is positive about that. Wish the kid well and make sure we get the next talented balla for class of ‘23 and beyond. There are like 1500 new prospects in the portal. The majority of them had underwhelming tenures as opposed to anything positive.

The poster mention the kid being homesick and entering the portal. Nothing is positive about that. Wish the kid well and make sure we get the next talented balla for class of ‘23 and beyond. There are like 1500 new prospects in the portal. The majority of them had underwhelming tenures as opposed to anything positive.

My response was not intended to be specific to any one kid. The person I quoted appeared to respond with a broader position on the portal. That's what my post addresses.

But a homesick kid further proves my point. If a kid is homesick and underperforms at his first school, maybe he can come back home and ball. Again, all sorts of reasons why a kid might not maximize his potential at school A but then kill it at school B.

My response was not intended to be specific to any one kid. The person I quoted appeared to respond with a broader position on the portal. That's what my post addresses.

But a homesick kid further proves my point. If a kid is homesick and underperforms at his first school, maybe he can come back home and ball. Again, all sorts of reasons why a kid might not maximize his potential at school A but then kill it at school B.

So we’re hoping for kids to be homesick? It’s football. There’s going to be other talented kids. I’m not going to hope a kid gets homesick so we can get him in the portal. I mean there were no indication the staff prioritized him. Wish the kid well. There are thousands of kids in the portal. That’s a negative anyway you shape it.

Advertisement
Back