Details on Friday meeting between Blake James and large donors

View as article
Advertisement
Not sure if this is a PR move because they realize there will be backlash. At this point, why would Zo even want to take a watered-down position with no real authority?

bc cashing a paycheck is better than cashing none? even if he took this job, i dont think hed stay whether he was the czar or a figurehead once an NFL job came calling. hes an NFL guy and has made it clear. i just hope he takes it and kicks some *** before he leaves in 2 months

I get ur point. But each and **** near every time they promptly get knocked out of it as well. They are built to be a competitive regular season team. But when they gotta be competent and play half court ball which is usually the case in March they cant do it. They are a consistent middle of the pack squad.

It's not that I'm disagreeing with anything that you say on a factual basis. I would like to win more tournament games. Agreed.

But we also have to acknowledge that this is the best 9-year run for UM women's basketball ever.

We may be "mid-pack" for NCAA tournament teams, but we are better than "mid-pack" for the ACC and women's basketball in general.

I just try to have a bit of perspective. Miami has never been a basketball blue-blood. We got rid of men's basketball for 15 or 20 years. I think we are very good, all things considered, but I'm not sure if we can ever crash the blue-blood party. On the women's hoops side, we need to build a Florida pipeline, and on the men's side, we may need to "cheat a little bit" (very risky, considering the FBI investigation) or at least convince a couple of one-and-done TYPES (and, yes, I know the rules are about to change) to come to Miami.

Man, I want to win the national championship in everything that Miami does, even if that's ice hockey or Quidditch. But I don't think that Miami basketball (men or women) are as bad as some people would have us believe.

It's not that I'm disagreeing with anything that you say on a factual basis. I would like to win more tournament games. Agreed.

But we also have to acknowledge that this is the best 9-year run for UM women's basketball ever.

We may be "mid-pack" for NCAA tournament teams, but we are better than "mid-pack" for the ACC and women's basketball in general.

I just try to have a bit of perspective. Miami has never been a basketball blue-blood. We got rid of men's basketball for 15 or 20 years. I think we are very good, all things considered, but I'm not sure if we can ever crash the blue-blood party. On the women's hoops side, we need to build a Florida pipeline, and on the men's side, we may need to "cheat a little bit" (very risky, considering the FBI investigation) or at least convince a couple of one-and-done TYPES (and, yes, I know the rules are about to change) to come to Miami.

Man, I want to win the national championship in everything that Miami does, even if that's ice hockey or Quidditch. But I don't think that Miami basketball (men or women) are as bad as some people would have us believe.

it isnt. poeple created these expectations after L took it to a place its never been since Leonard Hamilton was the coach here. the tournament is a bunch of luck and most of the time, the best doesnt win esp in a one game scenario. the canes did very well under L so far and just winning the conf reg season and tournament title is an accomplishment on its own.

Advertisement
How many teams make the tournament every year? How many lose every single time in first or second round? Our basketball program is better than mediocre but not by much.
At the same time, you'd have to be **** careful in a coaching search to try to get better. It's easy to burn yourself when you're at this particular success level.

Miami is for sure middle of the pack in hoops. It could be better, though.

the tourney is tough. There was an era where even top 10 teams consistently got waxed early. Depaul comes to mind. Guard play and coaching count for a lot in that setting.

I want Zo. No harm in bringing him in. There are few that are more "Cane" than Zo. But put me in the category of not understanding how this is going to help us win football games.

Advertisement
Think we heard the soft denials from zo yesterday due to his current situation with the browns but he’s indeed interested

Not all the way dead yet. Zo meeting with Blake today, per sources.

The back and forth on this is crazy. Is he still planning on going to Oregon? All jokes aside hire highsmith and if we flop this year he has a grasp of what is the matter and how to fix the issues with the football program. It is a win win for the BOT and UM fans.

This has to be a Blake thing bc Manny’s future is in his own hands. You win you remain coach, you lose and your out. But highsmith could expose Blake for not being good at anything but fund raising.

Advertisement
Not all the way dead yet. Zo meeting with Blake today, per sources.

Interesting. IMO, both sides misplayed this badly. It became way too public leading to a cry to do everything yesterday. The truth is that something like this takes time, particularly where Miami has to create a job title and ensure it'll be a personality-fit on all sides. It'd be wise for them to take their time and see if everyone can make something happen.

I have a hard time seeing this not get done. James knows his his head is on the chopping block and this move could, unfortunately, by him and Manny more time. Especially if they overhaul the way the program is run.

Advertisement

I think UM basketball is about as good a position as it can be. Earlier in Coach Ls tenure when we were regularly winning against Duke and UNC, we tried to maximize that by recruiting the Hamburger Boys AA, one and done types... We got a few, but to play that game and win, you have to stack those kind of players and replace them every year, we can't do that. We have to build to teams and let them play their best ball when they're upperclassmen. Football, should and could be different, we had those kind of pipelines but we blew it.

I think UM basketball is about as good a position as it can be. Earlier in Coach Ls tenure when we were regularly winning against Duke and UNC, we tried to maximize that by recruiting the Hamburger Boys AA, one and done types... We got a few, but to play that game and win, you have to stack those kind of players and replace them every year, we can't do that. We have to build to teams and let them play their best ball when they're upperclassmen. Football, should and could be different, we had those kind of pipelines but we blew it.

our best teams are ones that have a mix of talented young guys and vets. our best teams under L were that. the FBI scandal really screwed us and set us back, along with the guys that got booted.

Disagree with that... our best team (the one that won the ACC) had Shane Larkin as a headliner and a bunch of experienced guys and transfers. I'd argue once L went away from that and started focusing on the Lonnie Walker and Bruce Browns, we took a step back. It is kind of a catch 22... of course you have to take guys like that if they want to come, but we did not have those experienced bigs to go with them. The voluntarily playing 2 or 3 under the scholarship limit does not help either.

Disagree with that... our best team (the one that won the ACC) had Shane Larkin as a headliner and a bunch of experienced guys and transfers. I'd argue once L went away from that and started focusing on the Lonnie Walker and Bruce Browns, we took a step back. It is kind of a catch 22... of course you have to take guys like that if they want to come, but we did not have those experienced bigs to go with them. The voluntarily playing 2 or 3 under the scholarship limit does not help either.

Lonnies year was just doomed from the beginning. started with the walker injury preseason that led him to start slowly and when he started to get it together Brown got hurt for the year. it couldve been so much more had both been healthy from day 1

Advertisement
Back