Depth Chart Surprises

Advertisement
I'm excited/sad that Washington made the two deep I really liked him coming in but sad that we have multiple guys who have been here for 3 plus years and he passed them in not even a full off season
Every team has guys get passed by freshman on the depth chart. OL is so hard to evaluate that it happens a lot at that position.

He already redshirted. He should have a degree this year. I'm not hating on Bar for having fun at Suntan U. He was Kaaya's boy. That could've been a take to keep your QB happy.
Milo was highly ranked coming out of high school as well as being Kaaya's boy. The guy never even sniffed the field here and seemed to be here forever lol

Advertisement
3 reasons why anyone listed on the depth chart will play each week:

1. It's a free year of eligibility

2. There won't be many blowouts with 10 conference games. Each team has 1 doormat non-conference game on their slate so getting the freshmen valuable experience against FCS opponents or the local technical college in "week 13" isn't an option.

3. The potential for a volatile depth chart from week to week because of the fake virus.

The opportunity to get kids on the field playing meaningful reps to build depth is too good to pass up.

They will need to practice well and demonstrate an understanding of the playbook/gameplan, but we should see major rotating at every position including QB.

Fans might pull their hair out when Van Dyke is out there during a series in the 2nd quarter throwing it to Mamarelli against Louisville but I wouldn't put it past Manny. Anything can happen from one day to the next over the course of 3 months and being prepared is crucial.

The staff has been talking about having multiple players ready at each position, and they are placing value on whoever proves they can play multiple positions.

This was already a staff which favored healthy amounts of rotating at most positions so we should expect anyone listed on the week 1 depth chart to get in the game on a given week.

Really like our OL depth - quality depth all around. We go a solid 8-9 deep. Also, I’d really would like to see Knighton get some shots as a return guy - I think he’s the returner of the future.
After the way the OL played last season how the **** can any day we have "quality" depth at all?

After the way the OL played last season how the **** can any day we have "quality" depth at all?

1. JC and ZN have one more year under their belts. Like it or not, OL are rarely ready day 1 - physically or mentally. They both are over 300. Zion is now a backup instead of a starter. That's a big difference.

2. Williams solidifies one tackle spot.

3. Clark is now a backup instead of a starter.

4. Rivers is top notch and can spell in a pinch.

5. Ousman is coming in with JC expierience and is a very solid player (LSU wanted him).

The biggest difference to me is the backups. They are either game ready (physically) or had valuable experience last year.

Good call on Few.

I remember DMoney raving about Hillery coming out. The issues are he has short arms on a tackles body. So he’s not ideal at OT or OG.
Herbert has been through plenty of OL coaches and is now a grown man. It’s clear he was wayyyy overrated in HS.
Keeping on OL, it’s nice to see Reed crack the lineup at OG. You talk about a prototypical body for an OG OMG. That kid stays focused people better watch out.

I was the one on the board stating that Nesta was a better OL than Hillery n high school...and Nesta was a sophmore then.

He has the size but bad feet. Then injuries hit and hes always been playing catch up. He is an emergency rotation guy and was overrated playing on an OL at Heritage with the other big kid who wnt to UF to play nose. Tederell Slaton.

Advertisement
Is Martell completely removed from any consideration at all positions now?
I said it in the Midlo with Downlo thread. I don’t think he has a position anymore. He’s getting a great degree on scholly, has his girl and a good life ahead. May not be what he thought coming out of Gorman but life is still good for Tate.

Only thing I was really surprised to see was Bolden not starting at safety over Carter. Never been a huge fan of Carter but hey that’s why the coaches get paid and I don’t.

Advertisement
I am curious how so many opinions have been made about our team when we have had closed practices and a slew of young players yet they get mentioned here as if folks have seen them perform. I know, some played last year and last year was a disaster. The one thing I am glad to see is we have a new OL coach and he has shaken it up, so I hope he is a genius or that last years coach sucked. All of a sudden a new offense is going to make magic with a complete turn around and Boy, do I hope that is true. To be honest I never thought I'd be concerned with playing a UAB team at home but I have reservations until I see what we have and will be happy if we win 14-13, disappointed but happy. After last year any win will be appreciated.

I don't think the depth or talent is weak.
I’ll rephrase and say it’s our least proven unit, as it pertains to talent and depth. Although we did get to see plenty of McCloud, and he wasn’t very good. And the lack of improvement from Shaq/pink/Zach Fr year to Sr year doesn’t make me overly confident about manny’s ability to develop LBs.

All the others guys played so sparingly that I have reservations. I’m just a fan of proven commodities. But I realize that doesn’t always mesh with cfb and sometime you gotta play young guys. We had good success last time we trotted out 3 Fr LBs, so obviously it can happen. But I stand by my statement that it’s our most suspect position group.

Only thing I was really surprised to see was Bolden not starting at safety over Carter. Never been a huge fan of Carter but hey that’s why the coaches get paid and I don’t.

They put Bolden as the OR under both Hall and Carter but the staff would be drunk not to start him with Hall out the gate. They can say all they want about all 3 being even but Carter is the 3rd best safety on the team.

Advertisement
I am curious how so many opinions have been made about our team when we have had closed practices and a slew of young players yet they get mentioned here as if folks have seen them perform. I know, some played last year and last year was a disaster. The one thing I am glad to see is we have a new OL coach and he has shaken it up, so I hope he is a genius or that last years coach sucked. All of a sudden a new offense is going to make magic with a complete turn around and Boy, do I hope that is true. To be honest I never thought I'd be concerned with playing a UAB team at home but I have reservations until I see what we have and will be happy if we win 14-13, disappointed but happy. After last year any win will be appreciated.
Sorry, Fraggle. You know I love you but I’ve got an award to promote. @TrumpyCane , @djnellz - what says you?

798CF4DD-264D-4F05-92AD-637863C135B3.gif

They put Bolden as the OR under both Hall and Carter but the staff would be drunk not to start him with Hall out the gate. They can say all they want about all 3 being even but Carter is the 3rd best safety on the team.
They’re not that far apart. The separation is from gurvan to number 2. Amari and bubba are both limited in different ways. I hope they round their games out. Gurvan is going to be an all acc guy this season

Let see …
  1. Players develop and grow
  2. Quality additions exceed quality departures
  3. Better coaching
  4. Scheme more amenable to OL line play
If I left anything out, please add to the list.

All of this is conjecture of course but the confidence is based on how the fall camp went (unless they were blowing smoke up our ***). We'll know when they hit the field.

Advertisement
Back