Depth Chart Surprises

TrueFloridian

Sophomore
Gurvan Hall as the back up punt returner. I didn’t know the kid has that kind of speed and wiggle. Not to mention the hands to play punt returner. Hopefully he will be a ball hawk in center field this season on the first 3 downs also. The chain around his neck a half dozen times would be about right.

A little surprised to see Chris Washington as the backup RT. He’s coming along well surpassing the vet Herbert.

I don’t thing anybody saw Brooks not starting at LB after last season ended. It’s good to see Jennings finally healthy. Who knows, maybe his little brother flips from FSU if he has a big season. Especially after we throttle the Noles.

Advertisement
LB was the big surprise. Happy for Jennings though. Brooks and Huff will have their time to shine down the road.

Don't think you're going to hear much from Herbert going forward, especially if he's getting passed up by underclassmen now.
With the eligibility rule all the lb might just come back.. gonna be a logjam for 2 spots on the field

Advertisement
LB was the big surprise. Happy for Jennings though. Brooks and Huff will have their time to shine down the road.

Don't think you're going to hear much from Herbert going forward, especially if he's getting passed up by underclassmen now.

I told mofos a couple weeks ago he was locking down that starting mike spot. He’s played really well.

Hey Cribby - what’s the deal with Jennings brother? Any interest on our side or shot at him?

LB gives me pause. Havent really been impressed w that position group since Manny arrived. Hope to be proven wrong.
Diaz has had the same starting LBs since he got to Miami. The only change has been implementing the striker position where Romeo/Gil got snaps over Zack.

If you didn’t care for Shaq and Mike that’s another story. I think they were solid players. Especially coming in like they did as true Frosh starting for UM. The only knock I have is they didn’t develop further like you’d hope from frosh to seniors. They still kept everyone else on the bench.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I see Jennings and McCloud listed as starting at LBs. IMHO, I wouldn’t count out Brooks and Huff for significant reps or even as starters down the road. Remember that the best defensive player on last year’s team, Rousseau, didn’t start the first four games, in favor of less talented upperclassmen. I haven’t seen Jennings play much, so all I can say is that it’s great to see him persevere. I have seen McCloud play in his first 3 seasons, and let’s just say that I hope he has improved his coverage, tackling, recognition, instincts and playmaking significantly.

I saw Brooks play in high school, in some spotty work last season, and in the Bowl game, and Brooks showed something that I haven’t yet seen in McCloud or in Jennings, but hopefully, they have improved and will provide more leadership and depth at LB.

Last edited:
What heck is wrong with Hillery and Herbert that their getting past up by freshmen? Smh. With that being said, our OLine for Alabama gives me some hope! Lol.
From what I’ve seen previously from some of the knowledgeable posters - Herbert was very overrated coming out of Heritage and Hillary wasn’t that good either

Advertisement
There goes the coaches playing most experience over best talent. How do you go from saying Payton is a first-rounder WR, but have him on second team?!?! And there’s no reason why it should be Bolden or Carter!! Just Bolden please! And lastly, keontra Smith is hands down better than Frierson, no need for there to be an “OR.”

At the end of the day... go Canes! No matter who’s on the field.

Cribby, help a fellow out. I'm having withdrawal from my off-season Kool-Aid high, and every surprise now makes me nervous.

Are Washington and Rivers really already ready? Or are Herbert and Hillery just that bad and we need to rush the true freshmen? I fear the latter, and expect Herbert and Hillery to be hitting the transfer portal between now and January.

Is Jennings really as good as reported? I never saw the acceleration to the ball in his HS highlights that the coaches talked about this offseason? Or is Brooks still banged up, which is why Jennings is playing ahead of him? Net/net, how much of a drop-off will we see from Shaq?

Overall, the team looks much more solid than last year's depth chart. King is going to lead us to a lot of wins. The defense is going to be stout and even score a few points. But we're still several difference makers away from the championship Miami teams.

Advertisement
Back