DeMario Tolan, 2022 LB offered - Part II (& Commits to LSU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patke waiting on Tolan call to commit:
tenor.gif

Patke's phone:
giphy.gif
I've always wondered, what movie is that top GIF from?

Advertisement
Manny needs to know the strength of his coaches better. Patke from what we hear is a great technician same as Jess. I wish he would make Ish(still unproven) help Patke out with these big fish at LB. Also, as a HC he needs to be more involved. If you’re a HC now and not really involved in recruiting you won’t last long

Advertisement
To my very uninformed eye, it seems like Manny is happy setting his targets and board for high school recruits. But if he is not going to land guys that he is comfortable with, he will just wait to see who winds up in the portal rather than reaching. Whether this works out of pays off, only time will tell.
Agreed. I think he should have gotten a lb out of the portal this summer.

Advertisement
Agreed. I think he should have gotten a lb out of the portal this summer.
I wonder if not having the IC held back to add one sort of nudged him towards being even more conservative with numbers being brought in from HS.

I'm not even worried about lb recruiting. Like someone else posted we only run 2 lbs on defense. We need to hit on dl and corner backs especially.
If our lb play isn't good this season Manny can hire someone that's good at recruiting and development like he did this year.
People talking trash about Manny in this thread, they forgot the man hired a good lb coach that left for UCF to be a DC. Please stop the lie that Manny can't see the problem.

Last edited:
I think that CB play will help to cover some of the deficiencies in the LBs. We still need talent there though. If the DLine can get penetration and as we improve at CB this year and on into the future, we will rely less on the LBs needing to cover in space. I still think that Tolan is a big loss, but WB is not out and neither is Jackson. If our season progresses nicely, we may be in store for a decent ending to recruiting…when it is best to be peaking.

Advertisement
I think that CB play will help to cover some of the deficiencies in the LBs. We still need talent there though. If the DLine can get penetration and as we improve at CB this year and on into the future, we will rely less on the LBs needing to cover in space. I still think that Tolan is a big loss, but WB is not out and neither is Jackson. If our season progresses nicely, we may be in store for a decent ending to recruiting…when it is best to be peaking.
How would better CB play help against UNC last year? If our LBs keep running themselves out of plays, we could have Charles Woodson back there and it wouldn't matter.

Advertisement
How would better CB play help against UNC last year? If our LBs keep running themselves out of plays, we could have Charles Woodson back there and it wouldn't matter.
Keeping Sam Howell honest. The ironic part is that the scheme sucked. That was all Baker as our DC and he may be the one to get Tolan. The ends penetrated too far up the field and that left 2 or more gaps for the LBs to be responsible for each as the DE didn’t maintain contain. Not having to worry about Howell would have been a benefit as they could key the tight end (or the DE could jam hard at the line to disrupt timing of TE) and focus on the RBs (either as pass catchers or runners). They would be responsible for inside gaps or bounces to inside tackles. Also could be filling in for cutbacks.

Also, I believe competent CB play would have been helpful, but not the only adjustment needed. The DEs definitely did not play well as they let their momentum be turned up field. Only reason that they had their ears pinned back is to get after the QB since he could gash our CBs with good passing. So if the CBS were lockdown, DEs could have assisted in the run stop.

Keeping Sam Howell honest. The ironic part is that the scheme sucked. That was all Baker as our DC and he may be the one to get Tolan. The ends penetrated too far up the field and that left 2 or more gaps for the LBs to be responsible for each as the DE didn’t maintain contain. Not having to worry about Howell would have been a benefit as they could key the tight end (or the DE could jam hard at the line to disrupt timing of TE) and focus on the RBs (either as pass catchers or runners). They would be responsible for inside gaps or bounces to inside tackles. Also could be filling in for cutbacks.

Also, I believe competent CB play would have been helpful, but not the only adjustment needed. The DEs definitely did not play well as they let their momentum be turned up field. Only reason that they had their ears pinned back is to get after the QB since he could gash our CBs with good passing. So if the CBS were lockdown, DEs could have assisted in the run stop.
Keep Sam Howell honest? My man, they ran for 550 yards and literally averaged a first down per rush (10.1 yds). Howell only had to attempt 23 passes. That was not because we were protecting our CBs.

And I believe @Cribby and others have mentioned Manny would have loved to add more portal guys this year but we ran out of spots
It was that and no Tyrique type kids came available. I said all along they were cool using spots for next year but wouldn’t take anything but quality. The unlv kid was a need , there iwas questions about the interior then Clark got hurt. Plus Justice knew what he was getting. That gives us a guy who can play multiple spots in a pinch with an extra year eligibility.

OK, to be fair, let’s talk tale of the tape:

Ed O since 2016:
-45-14 record
-1 divisional title
-1 conference title
-3 -1 in bowl games
-2 NY6 bowl wins
-1 National Championship
-18 top 2 round draft picks (9 of 18 came from defense)
-7 LBs drafted in the first 3 rounds

Miami since 2016 (w/ Manny):
-40-23 record
-1 divisional title
-1- 4 in bowl games
-3 top 2 round draft picks (2 of 3 came from defense)
-0 LBs drafted in the first 3 rounds (and only 1 LB drafted, period, during this time)

We need to really start being honest w/ ourselves as to y a kid may choose another school, especially a LB. Manny has not been that guy either recruiting this position or showcasing these guys. If anything, this scheme leaves them looking like low IQ players. Right now we have a Rush DE in HS playing LB, a S in HS playing LB, and a guy who recruiting services once had as the 1200th ranked player in the nation as a MLB.

Bruh; that’s a problem.
Honesty is a **** policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back