DeMario Tolan, 2022 LB offered - Part II (& Commits to LSU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Manny needs to sit down with the Defensive recruiting staff and seriously evaluate the way they have been recruiting LBs, because it has not been working. I mean look at the True LB recruits the last few years

2021 Tyler Johnson and Deshawn Troutman - Low 3 Stars

2020 Tirek Cave and Corey Flagg - low 3 Stars

2019 Avery Huff 4 star and Sam Brooks low 3 star

During this Time we have missed on countless LB recruits and we refuse to hit the portal for one.

Are these LB recruits, seriously Miami caliber guys? Are these NFL Caliber LBs?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think Manny needs to sit down with the Defensive recruiting staff and seriously evaluate the way they have been recruiting LBs, because it seriously has not been working. I mean look at the True LB recruits the last few years

During this Time we have missed on countless LB recruits and we refuse to hit the portal for one.

If you look at these guys traits they all are drastically different. Don’t think diaz knows what he wants at that position. For that reason specifically he needs to step away from backer recruiting and quite possibly may need to step away from the defense (next year) because this a major weakness of his scheme and his inability to recruit. I think he’s realizing that speed is what is needed there but if we’re going to continue to whiff were in trouble.

Advertisement
I get that there are “mopes” and “pumpers” etc. it’s all part of the balance I guess.
I will try to keep this short. I grew up watching the canes on TV in the 80’s as a small child. My first game at 10 years old was a home game against Kansas. My second game was the national championship vs Nebraska. That orange bowl had those players and fans from Kansas and Nebraska so shook that the games were already won before they ever even started. To this day I have not personally witnessed that type of dominance from any sports team as the games I went to in the OB.
fast forward to Jan 2003. We were on a **** near 3 year win streak and won our 6th national championship! Wait..... oh.... then some degenerate gambling junkie with crowns and caps flying out of his cavity infested mouth calls “pass interference ”
Although Its easier and more simple to blame what has transpired since that moment onto our next 3-4 head coaches. It would be impossible for me to not recognize all of the conspiring that has also transpired since that very moment. Let these hicks pretend that the $ec has been completely dominating the game of football from day 1. At the end of the day, no one has a monopoly on the truth. From 1982 -2003 the entire sec conference won 2 national championships and one was Alabama vs You guessed it ( Miami) in what was probably our most legitimate “loss” in an NC game. Just Miami won “5” national championships in the same amount of time. I don’t know what went through the heads of all those good ole boys over the course of those 20 years other than they copied our blue print to success and have been running propaganda campaigns on top of 💰 and everything else in they can come up with.
Am I satisfied with where we at now? Absolutely not. I do believe we have come a very long way since we hit rock bottom (2007-2015) I am not saying to stop the criticism altogether, but if you’re really into **** riding the SEC stop claiming to be a fan.

I think Manny needs to sit down with the Defensive recruiting staff and seriously evaluate the way they have been recruiting LBs, because it has not been working. I mean look at the True LB recruits the last few years

stoned freak out GIF by absurdnoise

Advertisement
I think at this point let the season just play out, if the team wins 10 or 11 games all these recent recruiting woes will be moot and if Manny 💩 the bed as you predict he'll probably be gone and there's lots of HC options out there who would likely have strong interest in being here, I have 5-7 names in mind (none are Mario Cristobal btw).

I definitely say the same thing; let’s let the season play out.

But I’m of them opinion that if Manny chits the bed, he’s safe. Imo, this is speaking strictly as an objectionable fan, both the baseball & football programs used nepotism & cronyism in hiring guys that’ll be hard to fire due to relationships. I think Manny is here for at least 5 yrs. Just a gut feeling. I mean it took national backlash to pin the pressure upon us fire Al Golden in yr 4.5 and he absolutely sucked as a HC.

So how bad of a season does LSU have to have to change some of these kids minds or maybe it’s how good of a season do we have to have.
I hate losing players to that ****hole.

OK, to be fair, let’s talk tale of the tape:

Ed O since 2016:
-45-14 record
-1 divisional title
-1 conference title
-3 -1 in bowl games
-2 NY6 bowl wins
-1 National Championship
-18 top 2 round draft picks (9 of 18 came from defense)
-7 LBs drafted in the first 3 rounds

Miami since 2016 (w/ Manny):
-40-23 record
-1 divisional title
-1- 4 in bowl games
-3 top 2 round draft picks (2 of 3 came from defense)
-0 LBs drafted in the first 3 rounds (and only 1 LB drafted, period, during this time)

We need to really start being honest w/ ourselves as to y a kid may choose another school, especially a LB. Manny has not been that guy either recruiting this position or showcasing these guys. If anything, this scheme leaves them looking like low IQ players. Right now we have a Rush DE in HS playing LB, a S in HS playing LB, and a guy who recruiting services once had as the 1200th ranked player in the nation as a MLB.

Bruh; that’s a problem.

. If anything, this scheme leaves them looking like low IQ players.

Bruh, Ed O isn't coaching LBs. Miami/Diaz's scheme made the players look really good in 2016-2018. It was an unbelievable turnaround from D'Noforio (I don't know if it was a historic turnaround, but it was a tremendous jump in metrics from one year to the next). Everyone was complimenting how it proved that the talent was on the roster but being vastly mis-utilized. The defensive success is what got Diaz the HC job at Temple. The 2018 defense was even better than the 2017 defense (which I think was more responsible for the 10 win season than Richt's offense).

The players started to look like low IQ players after Blake Baker took over as DC/LB coach. The LB corps looked especially questionable. Pinckney in particular took a big step back in 2019. Your narrative is all backwards. The DC/LB coach who was so bad that he got demoted, had game calling duties pulled several times during his short stint as DC, and who most Miami fans were furious that he wasn't fired (I believe you were one of them) is now at LSU coaching LBs. Most of that LB success at LSU you mentioned came when either Dave Aranda (maybe one of the top DCs of the 21st century) was DC/LB coach or Bo Pelini was DC/LB coach (also a highly respected defensive mind and former HC). LSU now has Daronte Jones, whose college DC experience was at Bowie State from 2005-2009, in charge of fixing a scuffling defense and the aformentioned Blake Baker as LB coach. I'd put Diaz a couple notches above Daronte Jones as a DC since the latter has never been a P5 DC before.

Bruh, Ed O isn't coaching LBs. Miami/Diaz's scheme made the players look really good in 2016-2018. It was an unbelievable turnaround from D'Noforio (I don't know if it was a historic turnaround, but it was a tremendous jump in metrics from one year to the next). Everyone was complimenting how it proved that the talent was on the roster but being vastly mis-utilized. The defensive success is what got Diaz the HC job at Temple. The 2018 defense was even better than the 2017 defense (which I think was more responsible for the 10 win season than Richt's offense).

The players started to look like low IQ players after Blake Baker took over as DC/LB coach. The LB corps looked especially questionable. Pinckney in particular took a big step back in 2019. Your narrative is all backwards. The DC/LB coach who was so bad that he got demoted, had game calling duties pulled several times during his short stint as DC, and who most Miami fans were furious that he wasn't fired (I believe you were one of them) is now at LSU coaching LBs. Most of that LB success at LSU you mentioned came when either Dave Aranda (maybe one of the top DCs of the 21st century) was DC/LB coach or Bo Pelini was DC/LB coach (also a highly respected defensive mind and former HC). LSU now has Daronte Jones, whose college DC experience was at Bowie State from 2005-2009, in charge of fixing a scuffling defense and the aformentioned Blake Baker as LB coach. I'd put Diaz a couple notches above Daronte Jones as a DC since the latter has never been a P5 DC before.
Thats the thing, our defense on the second level sucked complete *** once Baker got installed.

Advertisement
Regarding Lathan, I believe he fell down the board pretty early when the coaches sized him up. He came in smaller than expected and subsequently was moved to the striker board where he wasn’t very high on the list.
Think we should get rid of the striker position. Not developing draft picks there. Feels like it’s just Manny’s dumping ground for guys too small to play LB and too slow to play DB.

Relly, 100%. Our last high-draft LB was Denzel Perryman in 2015 in the 2nd Round, pre-Manny. Manny can only point to Quarterman at the end of the 4th.

Every recruiting class it’s the same story. The O&G glasses go on and fans think the same position coaches who underdelivered in previous classes will magically be more attractive to the new recruits, or that the Miami legacy will be enough. Kids want to learn under the best so they can get to the league. Guys like Simpson and T-Rob can land top talent despite past program performance because they've put kids in the league in high draft rounds.

Banda was our one breakthrough coach that managed to pull off top kids despite not being very proven. But at least he had a string of NFL kids under his watch in Redwine, Johnson, Jenkins and J Carter. And let's face it, he got some luck first with Tae and then with Covid keeping many kids home.

Guys like Patke just bring no credibility, no track record there. Not to mention he's not an animal on the recruiting trail like TRob or even Banda. I'm not saying he's a "bad coach", I'm saying he's not Miami caliber. Maybe he will be some day, not today. We need complete coaches when they come in the door, not when they leave for a promotion at Utah State.

I'm not saying the sky is falling with this class. But LB has been a problem for years, and it's no coincidence that the coaches have a weak script to work off of. Manny needs to start taking a hard look at his Plan Bs really quickly.

Manny needs to figure out who will coach our LBs up if he's not going to do it....every year we see Clemson playing some 2* LB that plays lights out at an All-ACC level.....first it was the LB that choked Lamar Jackson after the tackle vs Louisville and then it was the kid that got called for targeting in the Playoff 2 years in a row (Skalski or something another).........give Dabo and his DEF coaching staff our 2019-2021 LBs and they'd be no less than very solid.

The way I see it is if Clemson can run a DEF that makes 2* LBs All-ACC we can surely run a DEF that makes 3* LBs solid/serviceable.

Advertisement
Manny needs to figure out who will coach our LBs up if he's not going to do it....every year we see Clemson playing some 2* LB that plays lights out at an All-ACC level.....first it was the LB that choked Lamar Jackson after the tackle vs Louisville and then it was the kid that got called for targeting in the Playoff 2 years in a row (Skalski or something another).........give Dabo and his DEF coaching staff our 2019-2021 LBs and they'd be no less than very solid.

The way I see it is if Clemson can run a DEF that makes 2* LBs All-ACC we can surely run a DEF that makes 3* LBs solid/serviceable.

I think that's why they like Flagg so much. That's exactly what he'll bring. But the fallacy there is that Miami asks MUCH MORE of its LBs than Clemson does. Because we're constantly stunting and pinning back our ears on the DL, there's no gap integrity, which means our LBs need to handle OL getting to the second level much more than normal. Add in the DB blitzes where the LB needs to cover a zone, and it's a **** of a hard assignment.

Shaq was an amazing college player, will stick in the league a long time. Yet even he struggled at times in Manny's scheme because he wasn't fast enough to cover all the holes. You need a Perryman or Spence level or better to play LB effectively at Miami under Manny.

Last edited:

I mostly agree with your take until you started down the Daronte Jones vs Manny Diaz coaching career path..........Jones has an asst coach in the NFL since 2016 up until he took the LSU DC job.....not saying I'd rather have him over Diaz but had Diaz hired him I don't think i'd lost any sleep

However, to stay on topic, it's not hard to see why Tolan would pick LSU over us, IF, he is indeed pegged to be leaning LSU. Regardless of why we've struggled at LB, all the kids see is that we struggled, and right or wrong, its being used to negatively recruit against us. Until the LBs we have are getting drafted regularly we will continue to struggle at convincing kids to come to us over going to programs such as LSU.

Bro; take a deep breath. Lol.

U’re looking at things from a micro level, and that’s our problem. What kids see is what SCHOOL is doing this or that. The fact is, Ed is ONE YEAR removed as a Nat’l Championship coach. All what u talking bout don’t mean chit, just like it didn’t mean chit for Coker when he was riding the coattail of what Butch built both on the field & via the draft. “The coach sucks” all comes out in due time, but facts r facts, and as of 07/07/21: LSU have been producing way more top picks, overall, & way more top picks at LB since Ed O being at LSU compared to Diaz at Miami.

U’re breaking down position coaches & all this, but the fact is some of ya’ll have been letting Manny skate by, and I’m not sure why. If it’s not Rumph, it’s Baker, if not Baker, Banda, if not Banda, Kul, if not Kul, Patke. Diaz has been an absolutely putrid recruiter & the data backs that up, yet he’s given a pass all the **** time.

Last edited:

They just dont like manny bro thats all it is. Manny hasnt won big here but some of yall are biased. The man put an *** whooping on FSU that they will never forget. Yall crying abt recruiting in July??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back