DeMario Tolan, 2022 LB offered - Part II (& Commits to LSU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Can anyone explain why LB is such a big need for Miami? We essentially run only 2 LBs, the SLB is now a DB in our system with its own deep depth chart of players.

We dont need 3 LBs to go with Flagg, Brooks, Cave, Huff, Johnson, Troutman, and Smith. That would be 10 bodies for only 2 spots (and this is assuming that Jennings and Steed are gone after 21, they still have eligibility to come back in 22).

Maybe the coaches feel the same way, which is why the board is so small (Tolan, Jackson, and Bissainthe). Maybe they'll be fine with just taking 1 and maybe a portal LB for 2022 if we have enough ICs.
Especially once James Williams starts playing linebacker.

Still we need a MLB to step in and play right away for 2021. I’m not crazy about Corey Flagg and Brandon Jennings never needs to see the field again. I would have really liked them to bring in an experienced transfer. Even if it’s only a 1 year rental.

Advertisement
Maybe the coaches feel the same way, which is why the board is so small (Tolan, Jackson, and Bissainthe). Maybe they'll be fine with just taking 1 and maybe a portal LB for 2022 if we have enough ICs.
The board consists of Graham and Lathan and Medlock and others like Harold Perkins who was never very interested. I'd imagine they have their eyes on a few others beyond those 3 guys (Tolan, Jackson, Bissainthe) as the top too. Maybe they circle back to one of the plan B guys.

I'm more concerned about the quality than quantity because I think Chase and Keontra Smith can play a lot in 2022 and 2023 with the proper coaching. Tolan has the potential to make plays on 25-50 snaps in a playoff or ACC championship game.

Miami needs a good MLB. Ideally Miami has 6 linebackers ready to play in case of injuries/poor performance every year. TAC, Flagg, Brooks, Huff, etc. all, as individuals, have a lot of potential but a great coach cannot be satisfied with that group.

Manny has 10 losses in the last two years. In a couple of those games, the LBs were more to blame than other units.

Last edited:
He did the Instagram trolling. He’s got other Orlando area kids laughing at it all. He’s got a top 5 though so to pick us out on tv for some extra trolling wound be something special
Was surprised James Monds was clowning with him after he posted it with all the laughing icons. Monds coveted a UM offer - parents are UM fans. I guess these kids get real salty, realy quick, if Miami passes them up.

Advertisement
He's already started to troll by putting up all the Miami pics last minute
The "building suspense" thing doesn't bother me that much. I more so meant like is he going to throw our hat off the table or throw the U down type of stuff. I will say the other Orlando kids joining in under his IG posts makes me think we very well may get a troll like that.

Imagine being recruited by coaches for years, building a really good relationship, and then completely disrespecting them for "clout" or whatever these kids call it. I'm not big on generalizing based on age, but a lot of these kids, ESPECIALLY from Florida, are complete morons.

I know they're 18 or so years old but unless brain development has completely slowed down since I was their age, that's not an excuse. I wouldn't have ever even thought of doing something like that.

Also, this kid hasn't done anything wrong (at least yet) so this is more of a general observation.

Last edited:
Imagine being recruited by coaches for years, building a really good relationship, and then completely disrespecting them for "clout" or whatever these kids call it. I'm not big on generalizing based on age, but a lot of these kids, ESPECIALLY from Florida, are complete morons.

I know they're 18 or so years old but unless brain development has completely slowed down since I was their age, that's not an excuse. I wouldn't have ever even of thought of doing something like that.

Also, this kid hasn't done anything wrong (at least yet) so this is more of a general observation.
Brain development is slowing, our school systems have been steadily getting worse the last 40 years, and social media has somehow accelerated & compounded the issue IMO.

Advertisement
We passed on Omar Graham for another troll job. Smh. Staff is looking pretty stupid right now.
Omar Graham is at the level of guys we're praying to upgrade from. Even FSU knows that if he's the best LB or even second best guy they get this class it is a poor class. You wanna lock in less accomplished Corey Flagg types in June then so be it and at least Corey Flagg was a true LB starting on a state title team. Graham does most of his damage being a rush end

Last edited:
The board consists of Graham and Lathan and Medlock and others like Harold Perkins who was never very interested. I'd imagine they have their eyes on a few others beyond those 3 guys (Tolan, Jackson, Bissainthe) as the top too. Maybe they circle back to Graham.

I'm more concerned about the quality than quantity because I think Chase and Keontra Smith can play a lot in 2022 and 2023 with the proper coaching. Tolan has the potential to make plays on 25-50 snaps in a playoff or ACC championship game.

Miami needs a good MLB. Ideally Miami has 6 linebackers ready to play in case of injuries/poor performance every year. TAC, Flagg, Brooks, Huff, etc. all, as individuals, have a lot of potential but a great coach cannot be satisfied with that group.

Manny has 10 losses in the last two years. In a couple of those games, the LBs were more to blame than other units.
To my very uninformed eye, it seems like Manny is happy setting his targets and board for high school recruits. But if he is not going to land guys that he is comfortable with, he will just wait to see who winds up in the portal rather than reaching. Whether this works out of pays off, only time will tell.

Advertisement
To my very uninformed eye, it seems like Manny is happy setting his targets and board for high school recruits. But if he is not going to land guys that he is comfortable with, he will just wait to see who winds up in the portal rather than reaching. Whether this works out of pays off, only time will tell.
And I believe @Cribby and others have mentioned Manny would have loved to add more portal guys this year but we ran out of spots

And I believe @Cribby and others have mentioned Manny would have loved to add more portal guys this year but we ran out of spots
In a way, I get it. We complain about dead weight on the roster and its a good way to avoid that while adapting to the times. It also seems like the portal isn't going to slow down at any point in the future. I worry more about 1) the culture, 2) you really need to hit at a higher clip in the portal since some of those guys will be upperclassmen and you may be relying on them to come in to start (i.e. no Tommy Kennedy repeats), and 3) you can't totally predict who will wind up leaving their current schools.

Patke waiting on Tolan call to commit:
tenor.gif

Patke's phone:
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back