CFB Deion Sanders [A thread for Deion Sanders lovers across all CIS]

Deion back then was about being the best player on the team. Deion today is about being creating the best players for the team. Another piece of culture building.
Some have suggested the Deion of yesteryear was selfish, cared little about academics and required BB's intervention to remain eligible. Also skilled at ripping off agents who sought to represent him in advance of the NFL. Not saying he's a bad guy. Just saying the Deion of today would have found the younger Deion a handful.

Advertisement
NFL teams didn't hire Deion to make tackles. Yall got to stop reaching.
It's not reaching. It has nothing to do with what NFL teams paid him for. It has to do with his words. Football is a contact sport and when guys are putting their body on the line EVERY play in front of you and you play grab *** on a bad attempted arm tackle, it gets noticed. I bet in their film room, poor tackling int he secondary is pointed out and discussed.

I'm not saying players felt that way about Deion in particular but when you put really hard truths out there and talk about putting everything you have into it, you better not have a lot of instances where you might not have. That's all.

Deion gonna weld the coffin shut on HBCUs ever getting a top recruit when he bounces for a Power 5 job like he admitted to on 60 minutes. Doing the exact opposite of what he's been telling these kids they don't have to do to succeed. Leave for more money, resources, and competition at Power 5 level.

Advertisement
Deion gonna weld the coffin shut on HBCUs ever getting a top recruit when he bounces for a Power 5 job like he admitted to on 60 minutes. Doing the exact opposite of what he's been telling these kids they don't have to do to succeed. Leave for more money, resources, and competition at Power 5 level.
You do know there are other big name former nfl guys that have taken HBCU jobs along with Deion.

Eddie George, and Hue Jackson is at Grambling. Hes up the ceiling in the Swac currently..i think even if he leaves that program with the right hire will be sustainable for awhile.

Guys like Ed Reed honestly shouldve taken a job like at Grambling if he was seriou sabout coaching football.

Realistically, I don't think they'll have the resources to consistently compete with the P5 programs for the vast majority of top recruits. That said, what Deion and others are doing is raising the profile and opportunity presented by the HBCU programs for a lot of recruits who don't really accomplish much of anything in what will be the last few years they play the sport. If HBCU coaches see more P5 opportunities, the better positioned those programs will be to show the quality of football and potential for development. Right now, they exist in relative obscurity to most HS players, so if all Deion does is raise their visibility so they make the conversation, he's far from selling out no matter what he chooses.

Advertisement
Realistically, I don't think they'll have the resources to consistently compete with the P5 programs for the vast majority of top recruits. That said, what Deion and others are doing is raising the profile and opportunity presented by the HBCU programs for a lot of recruits who don't really accomplish much of anything in what will be the last few years they play the sport. If HBCU coaches see more P5 opportunities, the better positioned those programs will be to show the quality of football and potential for development. Right now, they exist in relative obscurity to most HS players, so if all Deion does is raise their visibility so they make the conversation, he's far from selling out no matter what he chooses.
HBCU programs need to improve recruiting and develop more players for the NFL. They also need to schedule up more. Be competitive, even win a few upsets. When was the last time a HBCU team beat a P5 team? Or a G5 team?

Was it North Carolina A&T beating East Carolina in 2018?

That will expose their HCs and assistants to G5 and P5 opportunities.

Last edited:
You do know there are other big name former nfl guys that have taken HBCU jobs along with Deion.

Eddie George, and Hue Jackson is at Grambling. Hes up the ceiling in the Swac currently..i think even if he leaves that program with the right hire will be sustainable for awhile.

Guys like Ed Reed honestly shouldve taken a job like at Grambling if he was seriou sabout coaching football.
I do know this. Buddy Pough at SC State is also a legendary HBCU coach thats plenty good for P5. But thats not the point. How polarizing Deion is and how willing he is to pick up the phone and call certain people and make things happen for the school is the reason they've been anywhere near some of the top recruits and is what has really elevated the perception. Not everyone has that. The very action of him leaving shows kids that there is more success at higher level places within P5 with more resources. Deion can coach til he's 80. These kids only have a handful of years to go to college and try to make it pro.

If he is going to leave for more resources and higher competition, Why wouldn't they?

He is raising the ceiling. But that's not what he's proclaimed. He's said why wouldn't a top kid consider an HBCU if you can get developed and be ready for the NFL and do it in your community at an HBCU. He said the only difference between him and BAMA are the big boys up front. For Saban to give him 2-3 more years and he'll be there. I think he'll kill it at P5 but his message has been clear that HBCUs can be thought of in the same light if they begin to attract talent and attract money.

Advertisement
I do know this. Buddy Pough at SC State is also a legendary HBCU coach thats plenty good for P5. But thats not the point. How polarizing Deion is and how willing he is to pick up the phone and call certain people and make things happen for the school is the reason they've been anywhere near some of the top recruits and is what has really elevated the perception. Not everyone has that. The very action of him leaving shows kids that there is more success at higher level places within P5 with more resources. Deion can coach til he's 80. These kids only have a handful of years to go to college and try to make it pro.

If he is going to leave for more resources and higher competition, Why wouldn't they?
Wasn’t Deion’s point in the video that players weren’t disciplined on-and-off the field? And that behavior isn‘t going to get you to the NFL or to a degree and a career. Because, honestly, only a small percentage of those players will sniff the NFL. Let alone an NFL career.

Why would Deion leaving for the Georgia Tech job (for example) contradict the speech in the video?

Wasn’t Deion’s point in the video that players weren’t disciplined on-and-off the field? And that behavior isn‘t going to get you to the NFL or to a degree and a career. Because, honestly, only a small percentage of those players will sniff the NFL. Let alone an NFL career.

Why would Deion leaving for the Georgia Tech job (for example) contradict the speech in the video?
Don't think we're talking about the same video. I am talking about the 60 minutes interview piece where he was asked if he would entertain P5 offers and he said yes he would entertain them.

I believe it is contradictory to this video, the one I am referring to, because his whole spiel at JSU was that HBCUs can be just as great as any other school because what makes P5 school's great is the talent. So, if that talent can decide to go anywhere it wants to, why not choose an HBCU. Deion's whole message is that you don't need the glits and glamour to make it to the NFL. Ironically the same thing they used to say about Miami. Facilities were a dump but what mattered was the competition on Greentree.

If/when he leaves, he leaves for a program with more resources and a higher level of competition which is exactly what he's been telling players to forget about and go play for him at JSU.

Don't think we're talking about the same video. I am talking about the 60 minutes interview piece where he was asked if he would entertain P5 offers and he said yes he would entertain them.

I believe it is contradictory to this video, the one I am referring to, because his whole spiel at JSU was that HBCUs can be just as great as any other school because what makes P5 school's great is the talent. So, if that talent can decide to go anywhere it wants to, why not choose an HBCU. Deion's whole message is that you don't need the glits and glamour to make it to the NFL. Ironically the same thing they used to say about Miami. Facilities were a dump but what mattered was the competition on Greentree.

If/when he leaves, he leaves for a program with more resources and a higher level of competition which is exactly what he's been telling players to forget about and go play for him at JSU.
Fair enough.

Advertisement

Can you show me a quote where Deion said He was going to be at an HBCU in perpetuity?

If you're from the West Coast they probably do, but if you're from the South they don't.

Hunter has only played in one game and Coleman has like 15 catches in an offense that is basically built around showcasing Sanders son as a qb.

Advertisement
Back