Defense!!

Advertisement
Great sell to recruits

Q8k0.gif

I gotta be honest...
I'm tired of us constantly promoting this stupid fvckin' stat while simultaneously getting our **** pushed in for 300 yards rushing.

We blitz and run a lot of D-Line movement. That's gonna lead to high TFL's. It also often leads to us getting gashed.

Here's a stat I want them to promote...

WTF have we done against offenses that AREN'T ranked outside the top-50? Tweet that stat.

Advertisement
I gotta be honest...
I'm tired of us constantly promoting this stupid fvckin' stat while simultaneously getting our **** pushed in for 300 yards rushing.

We blitz and run a lot of D-Line movement. That's gonna lead to high TFL's. It also often leads to us getting gashed.

WTF have we done against offenses that AREN'T ranked outside the top-50? Tweet that stat.

I gotta be honest...

Like Norte Dame?

Advertisement
I gotta be honest...

I mean it ain't like we get our **** pushed in for 300 rushing too often?? Besides Wisconsin no show (and no G Will, and JJ for one series certainly didn't help) we were stout against run...We are however (much like Ohio St who does a lot of the same things with an athletic, active DL) susceptible to the BIG RUN at times (although the big Duke run was kinda flukey as the whole team appeared to quit because they thought the kid was down in the pile). The Wisky run game in OB 2 years ago we really made em earn it on the ground, that was one of the 4-5 best running teams in nation and we made them earn every inch. I looked at their game log that year and it was the 2nd or 3rd worst output of the season...Now Hornibrook throwing picture perfect back shoulder fades all game better like Tom ****** Brady didn't help our fate, but still...We banged with em.

Overall I agree with you about the slate of offenses we played being weak...We need to take the next step no doubt... But with so few cfb teams playing defense (some honestly don't seem like they practice it) to begin with, it is nice that we have one, and with Diaz and Simpson it seems to only be ready to get even better.

Last edited:
I gotta be honest...

You're referencing one game in a cold weather low-tier bowl game. Why is that game more representative than the entire body of work?

Miami faced four total 50 offenses in 2018. They held Toledo to 114 yards less than than their average and then the debacle against Wisconsin that you referenced. They held Virginia Tech to about 90 yards less than their total and 14 points and FIU was under 100 total yards until the 4th quarter. So what are you complaining about other than Wisconsin?

Last edited:
Advertisement
You're referencing one game against in cold weather low-tier bowl game. Why is that game more representative than the entire body of work?

Miami faced four top total 50 offenses in 2018. They held Toledo to 114 yards less than than their average and then the debacle against Wisconsin that you referenced. They held Virginia Tech to about 90 yards less than their total and 14 points and FIU was under 100 total yards until the 4th quarter. So what are you complaining about other than Wisconsin?

Man c'mon!
Did you really just use Toledo and FIU for your argument? We're superior to every opponent on their schedule, we SHOULD hold them to lows. SMH

I gotta be honest...
If you reference how abysmal the offenses UM faced in 2018 were the excuses fly in left and right. Miami defense was above average, maybe good, nothing more nothing less.
For every ND game there's a Clemson, Winsc 2x, LSU to counter, even sorry FSU was putting up points in the first half. UM had a good defense last year, but it wasn't great and defenses rarely carries year to year, so we'll see how 2019 goes

Advertisement
I gotta be honest...

I wonder how difficult it is to play the run when you’re gassed every game? When you’re on the field for 40-45 minutes a game while you’re opponent has massive amounts of opportunity to succeed due to that time discrepancy. Or when you’re consistently playing on 50 yard fields. Hmmm.

Man c'mon!
Did you really just use Toledo and FIU for your argument? We're superior to every opponent on their schedule, we SHOULD hold them to lows. SMH
You pointed to top 50 offenses. I gave you 3 who they did just fine against. I missed UNC too. You didn't say "teams with equal talent". This is the criteria you set. They were more than adequate against "top 50 offenses"

I gotta be honest...

OSU gave up 49 points in a loss to Purdue.
Michigan gave up 41 points to Florida and 62 points to OSU.
UGA let Bama score 21 unanswered points to win the SEC and also gave up 36 points to LSU.
Bama got blown the f*ck out by Clemson in the title game.

The only team that truly dominated from start to finish was Clemson but even they gave up some big points to USCe.

Point is, even the best defenses give up points and yards. What those teams all do though is dominate more often than not. And when the defense is having a rough game then the offense comes in to bail them out.

Advertisement
Back