Defense!!

I wonder how difficult it is to play the run when you’re gassed every game? When you’re on the field for 40-45 minutes a game while you’re opponent has massive amounts of opportunity to succeed due to that time discrepancy. Or when you’re consistently playing on 50 yard fields. Hmmm.
BS excuse, especially when we often give up a score on the first drive of every game. Fvckin' Wisky marched right down the field on the first drive. And they were up 14-0 before anybody even broke a sweat.
Besides, elite defenses step up to the plate.

Advertisement
If you reference how abysmal the offenses UM faced in 2018 were the excuses fly in left and right. Miami defense was above average, maybe good, nothing more nothing less.
For every ND game there's a Clemson, Winsc 2x, LSU to counter, even sorry FSU was putting up points in the first half. UM had a good defense last year, but it wasn't great and defenses rarely carries year to year, so we'll see how 2019 goes
You guys aren't even trying. FSU had 200 yards of total offense in the entire game. They had great position throughout that first half due to a turnover, bad punt coverage and a turnover on downs near midfield. And they returned a punt for a TD.

If you reference how abysmal the offenses UM faced in 2018 were the excuses fly in left and right. Miami defense was above average, maybe good, nothing more nothing less.
For every ND game there's a Clemson, Winsc 2x, LSU to counter, even sorry FSU was putting up points in the first half. UM had a good defense last year, but it wasn't great and defenses rarely carries year to year, so we'll see how 2019 goes
Stop with the LSU game. Look at the numbers on that one it was actually a good performance from the D.

Advertisement
Y'all MF'ers must work in an excuse factory.

How many times have we allowed mediocre QB's to carve us up? We allowed a power running team (Wisconsin) to beat us THROWING THE BALL. 😆
Then we play the same exact team the following season and they carve us up again.

HOW YOU GET GUTTED BY THE SAME OFFENSE TWICE IN A ROW??? We should've been able to shut that **** down completely!

I gotta be honest...
I'm tired of us constantly promoting this stupid fvckin' stat while simultaneously getting our **** pushed in for 300 yards rushing.

We blitz and run a lot of D-Line movement. That's gonna lead to high TFL's. It also often leads to us getting gashed.

Here's a stat I want them to promote...

WTF have we done against offenses that AREN'T ranked outside the top-50? Tweet that stat.
You are definitely right but you can't fault the staff for promoting a positive. I'm sure the staff is well aware of the defensive deficiencies and hopefully we'll have our best defensive performance Aug 31st....

BS excuse, especially when we often give up a score on the first drive of every game. Fvckin' Wisky marched right down the field on the first drive. And they were up 14-0 before anybody even broke a sweat.
Besides, elite defenses step up to the plate.

Yep, same with BC game

Y'all MF'ers must work in an excuse factory.

How many times have we allowed mediocre QB's to carve us up? We allowed a power running team (Wisconsin) to beat us THROWING THE BALL. 😆
Then we play the same exact team the following season and they carve us up again.

HOW YOU GET GUTTED BY THE SAME OFFENSE TWICE IN A ROW??? We should've been able to shut that **** down completely!

So now we're talking about 3 years of defense as opposed to the 2018 defense which is what the tweet you took issue with was referencing. Which mediocre QBs had their way in 2018?

Advertisement
We need to stop making excuses and live up to Corch Macheaux’s high standards

We didn't play anybody that can throw a forward pass.

Was this defense good enough to play in the ACC title game? Were they the reason we weren't there in 2018? If the answer to the first question is a yes and the answer to the second question is a no for you then your complaint is that they weren't dominant every time they took the field. They're not talented enough to do that. Even teams with that level of talent aren't dominant all the time. A defense without elite talent played at a high level. The other two units were atrocious and the defense carried the team. That is the synopsis of the 2018 season.

Picking at a TFL tweet and then being shown that they were just fine against top 50 offenses despite your thinking otherwise are your contributions.

Advertisement
I gotta be honest...
I'm tired of us constantly promoting this stupid fvckin' stat while simultaneously getting our **** pushed in for 300 yards rushing.

We blitz and run a lot of D-Line movement. That's gonna lead to high TFL's. It also often leads to us getting gashed.

Here's a stat I want them to promote...

WTF have we done against offenses that AREN'T ranked outside the top-50? Tweet that stat.

theres so many factors to this, becuase as much as your point is valid, theres aqlso the fact that the defense was that good statistically with a **** punter, firld position, and an offense/special teams that turned the ball over a lot and couldnt stay on the field. So i would like to see the D ranking against a top 50 Offense with a competent punt team and average offense

Advertisement
When your offense is constantly going 3 N out and then you bring out the worst punt team in the country your defense is typically going to get scorched. Our Defense was great last year given they had no help! Replace our sorry as punter and have an average offense last year is a helluva lot different.

Theres some truth to all of the stats thrown out there. But you cant talk about games and look at stats without looking at the whole picture. Thats just insane. The Wisconsin game? Like the one where our potential first round DT didnt play, so a freshman started, against a school known for having great OL play? Oh an that kid struggled, so therefore the middle of the DL got pushed around... Manny has proven, at least to me, that he can adjust to what a team is doing to him. There are plenty of references of that. He adjusts at a better than average rate. Have there been games where it was bad? Of course. Have there been some pretty dominant performances? Yes there have been. And there were reasons for those as well. But the fact is, its not excuse making to point out a reason that the D struggled. And you cant just look at D play and no acknowledge the worst punter in the history of UM football giving the opposing teams short fields. But I suppose if your looking for a fight you found one so thats good.

The defense in 2018 was fine, an average offense would had placed us comfortably on the ACCCG, but I wish I could buy this narrative as some of my fellow canes have. Unfortunately that is how you end up being surprised of how abysmal your offense is when the signs were there the previous year.

EDIT- Miami finished 14th in the S&P+ ranking on Defense, wich looks fair to me, good, but not great
Point is, even the best defenses give up points and yards. What those teams all do though is dominate more often than not. And when the defense is having a rough game then the offense comes in to bail them out.
This is a fair argument, defenses can look awful depending of the matchup, but it's also thruth that the defense caved when faced the two competent offenses in the year, they faced 3 offenses on the top 50 of S&P+ and in two of these games they were throughly outplayed.
Stop with the LSU game. Look at the numbers on that one it was actually a good performance from the D.
Did you watched the game? LSU O ran laps on our D in the first half and pretty much punted on the second half

Advertisement
Back