Defense!!

Guys, pay no mind to Macho, dude spoke highly of D'Nofrio.

MARK F*CKING D'NOFRIO

Advertisement
I gotta be honest...
I'm tired of us constantly promoting this stupid fvckin' stat while simultaneously getting our **** pushed in for 300 yards rushing.

We blitz and run a lot of D-Line movement. That's gonna lead to high TFL's. It also often leads to us getting gashed.

Here's a stat I want them to promote...

WTF have we done against offenses that AREN'T ranked outside the top-50? Tweet that stat.

Hard to do....did we even play a offense in the top 50?

You're referencing one game in a cold weather low-tier bowl game. Why is that game more representative than the entire body of work?

Miami faced four total 50 offenses in 2018. They held Toledo to 114 yards less than than their average and then the debacle against Wisconsin that you referenced. They held Virginia Tech to about 90 yards less than their total and 14 points and FIU was under 100 total yards until the 4th quarter. So what are you complaining about other than Wisconsin?

By the way VT was ranked 61 per points.

If you reference how abysmal the offenses UM faced in 2018 were the excuses fly in left and right. Miami defense was above average, maybe good, nothing more nothing less.
For every ND game there's a Clemson, Winsc 2x, LSU to counter, even sorry FSU was putting up points in the first half. UM had a good defense last year, but it wasn't great and defenses rarely carries year to year, so we'll see how 2019 goes
You left out BC... they marched up and down the field in the first half.....dIAZ and the D looked lost

The defense in 2018 was fine, an average offense would had placed us comfortably on the ACCCG, but I wish I could buy this narrative as some of my fellow canes have. Unfortunately that is how you end up being surprised of how abysmal your offense is when the signs were there the previous year.

EDIT- Miami finished 14th in the S&P+ ranking on Defense, wich looks fair to me, good, but not great
This is a fair argument, defenses can look awful depending of the matchup, but it's also thruth that the defense caved when faced the two competent offenses in the year, they faced 3 offenses on the top 50 of S&P+ and in two of these games they were throughly outplayed.
Did you watched the game? LSU O ran laps on our D in the first half and pretty much punted on the second half

Advertisement
I gotta be honest...
I'm tired of us constantly promoting this stupid fvckin' stat while simultaneously getting our **** pushed in for 300 yards rushing.

We blitz and run a lot of D-Line movement. That's gonna lead to high TFL's. It also often leads to us getting gashed.

Here's a stat I want them to promote...

WTF have we done against offenses that AREN'T ranked outside the top-50? Tweet that stat.

That's the point of this defense. You're going to force teams into a lot 3rd and longs by getting a lot of sacks and TFLs but every now and then you're going to get gashed.

But in the long run you're going to end up with a very productive efficient defense. As has been the case every season Diaz has been here.

People want to act like the other highly ranked defenses don't also play mostly weak offenses. It's college football. Not the NFL.

And btw there are several good sources that use schedule adjusted defensive rankings. Feel free to tweet one out that supports your viewpoint.

Advertisement
Not saying it was an all world performance on D but compare that to what LSU did against Georgia.
Maybe saying the defense caved against LSU was a stretch, realistic the D gave up 23 points to LSU, 20 in the first half. The end of the first and the beginning of the second quarter when LSU scored 17 points in 3 straight possessions were awful.

Ugh look at this sh*tshow, from both sides of the ball.

The problem is, LSU was far from great on O and I still felt like LSU could have scored more if they really need it. 20 points in one half, especially when the other D is very good/great, is a problem.

Every single defense looks good against bad offenses and not so good against good offenses. There isn't a single team that shut down every good offense they faced. It's 2019 and even the best defenses get lit up. If you think your defense should be shutting out every team you play, you have ridiculously impossible expectations. Every single statistical metric says that Miami's defense was among the best in the nation. Imagine if the offense was even mediocre and didn't lead the conference in turnovers? They would have been even better. The fact that they didn't just give up halfway through the season after seeing that pathetic offense every week is a testament to Diaz and his staff. Were they perfect? No. Did they have an occasional bad half of football? Yes but there isn't a single team in the entirety of college football that didn't have poor games or halves.

Advertisement
If you eliminate Savannah St, FIU and Toledo and only count numbers against P5 opponents, They still only surrendered 302 yards per game. They held LSU, FSU, Virginia, Duke and Pitt under 300 yards and GT managed 304. (Once again, only counting P5 opponents) They surrendered over 400 yards (an average offensive performance in today's game) only twice. Once against BC (the worst game of the year) and once in he garbage bowl game.

I mean, @Coach Macho is not wrong. TFL's is a overrated stat with the defense we played. Our D-Line last yr was either in the backfield or completely out of the play, no in-between.
You can't build a championship defense that gambles like that on almost every play. We need to be able to hold the point of attack and actually stop the run instead of just hoping for TFL's.

Shaq had a productive year last year
82 tackles 14.0 tfls and 5 sacks , 1int at linebacker. Should see another big jump in his game. He wasn’t perfect but he was better than he was as a junior
My criticism Shaq as a football player is mediocre speed, inability to get off blocks and below average open field tackler. Hopefully new staff can make him better.

Advertisement
I mean, @Coach Macho is not wrong. TFL's is a overrated stat with the defense we played. Our D-Line last yr was either in the backfield or completely out of the play, no in-between.
You can't build a championship defense that gambles like that on almost every play. We need to be able to hold the point of attack and actually stop the run instead of just hoping for TFL's.

Would be simply impossible for Miami to finish where it did in yards per play last season if this were actually the case.

You can ask your defensive linemen to be aggressive and disrupt the backfield or you can have them occupy blockers and have multi gap responsibilities. Every successful defensive coach at Miami has used the first philosophy. Mark D'Onofrio preferred the second. The entire defensive philosophy is dependent on negative plays because that's how you force opponents into unfavorable down and distances. You can play it safe and bend but not break but consistently giving your opponent third and short situations makes it too easy for them. It's a philosophy that can work in some places but doesn't here.

Would be simply impossible for Miami to finish where it did in yards per play last season if this were actually the case.
It's not about stats. You can boost your stats against bad competition. Go back and look at how the defense constantly got gashed against BC, GT and Wisc.

lol, Yall really caring what Coach Macho thinks about our Defense? He loved Donofrio. This was the same guy on here talking about how good of a coach NoD was and how knowledgeable about the game he was. Sorry but Praising Donofrio and trying to **** on Diaz makes me not give a single **** about any of your opinions. Maybe if you're talking about recruiting your opinion might be worth something cause you're a hs coach, but other than that, nah bruh.

Advertisement
Back