Deejay Dallas to CB or FS... thoughts?

Dallas is a RB. That's how he's built.

Playing him at RB opens up the rest of this game. He becomes a deadly threat as a Wildcat, especially in the redzone. And he forces defenses to respect the running game when he lines up in the backfield, which creates potential mismatches with LBs in man coverage.

His ability to run inside, throw and make contested catches is unique. I can't think of too many people who could do all three things.

Advertisement
I would still use him on offense, at times, with his own package of wildcat plays as the qb. But with all the talent on offense this year, I think the team would be better if he was moved to cornerback.

I remember ppl were saying Saban offered him as a cornerback, he obviously is a rare talent that is elite at multiple positions. It would give the freshmen and Jhavonte Dean more competition, and adds quality depth to an already talented unit.

CB1 - Michael Jackson / Gilbert Frierson

CB2 - Deejay Dallas or Jhavonte Dean

NB - Trajan Bandy / Jaquan Johnson

..... Looks real nice on paper.

OP is on Bath Salt. DJ is a RB at UM or a Transfer Candidate. Kid can play.

I would still use him on offense, at times, with his own package of wildcat plays as the qb. But with all the talent on offense this year, I think the team would be better if he was moved to cornerback.

I remember ppl were saying Saban offered him as a cornerback, he obviously is a rare talent that is elite at multiple positions. It would give the freshmen and Jhavonte Dean more competition, and adds quality depth to an already talented unit.

CB1 - Michael Jackson / Gilbert Frierson

CB2 - Deejay Dallas or Jhavonte Dean

NB - Trajan Bandy / Jaquan Johnson

..... Looks real nice on paper.

should be moved to KR/PR and kept at RB

Keep him on offense and get him touches. Unlike the OB, when he gashes defenses, don't keep him on the sideline on the next two or three series!

Lol it's interesting how all of the ppl against the idea of Deejay moving to defense keep parroting this same shxt about him needing the ball in his hands.

Context ppl context smh.... I and the few that agree clearly have said that he should still get touches on offense but defense should be his primary position.

Two way players aren't common but they do exist... and Deejay Dallas is the ultimate two way player.

You all keep using this argument that "he needs the ball" as if he is going to touch the ball even 50% of the time?? He's not.

Even if he was just stuck at RB.... not only is Homer getting most of the reps, there are still a rolodex of WRs and TEs who also gotta eat and need the ball.

The limited amount of reps he's going to get anyway on offense, makes it the perfect situation for him to be our next two way star.
Line him up at safety or cb, sprinkle in reps at PR, WR, RB, and Wildcat QB. Dude could end up a heismam candidate before he leaves.... would only help his NFL value.

Agree.

Keep in mind, he was only moved to RB because we struck out on recruiting and Walton got hurt. Dude was going to be buried on depth chart at WR.

He can still touch the bell a few times a game....even if he starts at corner or safety. This isn’t as crazy as folks think it is.

Advertisement
I hope we throw him the ball out of the backfield. I thought we'd throw more to the RB's once Dallas got back there, but instead we stopped throwing to the RB's altogether.

He's a very dangerous 3rd down back, that can happen to play on every other down. :eek:)

I say yes...try him out on defense. Our numbers and talent, especially at safety, are horrendous. He can really help the team out a lot more on that side of the ball

Advertisement
Bethel definitely needs a year, Blades May need one too. I only expect Ivey to get any real time between the three of them. My guess is DJ on O with special packages for his many talents

Dallas is a RB. That's how he's built.

Playing him at RB opens up the rest of this game. He becomes a deadly threat as a Wildcat, especially in the redzone. And he forces defenses to respect the running game when he lines up in the backfield, which creates potential mismatches with LBs in man coverage.

His ability to run inside, throw and make contested catches is unique. I can't think of too many people who could do all three things.

I second this, he's too dangerous with the ball in his hands. You have a sure thing with him on offense, no reason to slow continued development with experimenting on defense. This reminds me of when David Njoku got here and they had him playing defense. Sure they both probably would've been fine, but when you have that kind of talent on offense then you keep them there.

His main position is RB but I'd like to keep using him as a utility player. He's shown that he can line up in the slot and make contested catches and he's a dual threat in the wildcat. He doesn't need a fixed position, just find ways to get the ball in his hands.

Carter and Smith are 3-stars. Maybe we overrate them on this board?

You seriously have an unhealthy obsession with stars. Both Carter and Smith looked good as true freshmen and you're here still worried about their star rating from high school.

I second this, he's too dangerous with the ball in his hands. You have a sure thing with him on offense, no reason to slow continued development with experimenting on defense. This reminds me of when David Njoku got here and they had him playing defense. Sure they both probably would've been fine, but when you have that kind of talent on offense then you keep them there.

His main position is RB but I'd like to keep using him as a utility player. He's shown that he can line up in the slot and make contested catches and he's a dual threat in the wildcat. He doesn't need a fixed position, just find ways to get the ball in his hands.

Generally, you want about 5 to 6 running backs on scholarship at any time. We're full, with only Trayone Gray graduating in 19. So if Dallas stays at RB, that's one less we'll have room for in '19 recruting class.

Would you stop recruiting Noah Cain or RJ Mcintosh's brother so that Dallas can stay at that position?

Or are you just gonna have 7,8,9....10 running backs on the roster?

Advertisement
Just read the title. **** no. Look at that kid with the rock in his hands. He is special special. I’d rather move Homer to corner then DJ to saftey. That’s how high I am on him. Obviously move neither because theres no reason to.

Currently we
Generally, you want about 5 to 6 running backs on scholarship at any time. We're full, with only Trayone Gray graduating in 19. So if Dallas stays at RB, that's one less we'll have room for in '19 recruting class.

Would you stop recruiting Noah Cain or RJ Mcintosh's brother so that Dallas can stay at that position?

Or are you just gonna have 7,8,9....10 running backs on the roster?
Currently on scholarship we have Homer, Dallas if that's where you classify him, Lingard, Davis, Burns, Gray and Atkins if they renew his. Officially on the roster Dallas is listed as an "Athlete" and that's how it should be. Mcintosh should be brought in as an athlete, but I think he projects best as a linebacker. If the top guys want in you make room for them within reason.

Advertisement
Currently we

Currently on scholarship we have Homer, Dallas if that's where you classify him, Lingard, Davis, Burns, Gray and Atkins if they renew his. Officially on the roster Dallas is listed as an "Athlete" and that's how it should be. Mcintosh should be brought in as an athlete, but I think he projects best as a linebacker. If the top guys want in you make room for them within reason.

We're deep at RB. I don't know man, it's a tough call. Because if you ask me, I think Dallas was our best RB at the end of last year.

But then you add Davis and Lingard, and you consider how thin we are at safety, and it makes it a tough call.

I guess whatever helps the team is what you've gotta do.

We're deep at RB. I don't know man, it's a tough call. Because if you ask me, I think Dallas was our best RB at the end of last year.

But then you add Davis and Lingard, and you consider how thin we are at safety, and it makes it a tough call.

I guess whatever helps the team is what you've gotta do.
I get the concerns. I think Lingard will be very good, but as of now only Dallas and Homer have proven it here in games. At safety we have JJ and Redwine and Carter and Smith have proven competent.

Advertisement
Back