Deejay Dallas to CB or FS... thoughts?

Advertisement
Except that our secondary sucks and is not loaded. The only player back there that could've started on Clemson was Jaquan Johnson. Every other job should be up for grabs. LOL "pretty **** loaded" where do yall come up with this. Considering we have Lingard, Homer, Richards, Thomas, Pope and Brevin, I think it's ok to test out the waters and see if Deejay is as good at corner as Nick Saban thought he was. Lord knows we need it after watching us against Syracuse, UNC, Clemson and Wisconsin last year. Maybe rewatch those games before saying how loaded we are in the secondary.
So Mike Jackson, Bandy, Ivey, Frierson, and Blades are all chopped liver? Even with the fact that the DB's in storm18 have not played a down in college, neither has Deejay at any of the DB positions. The difference is, the DB's from storm18 have all been exlcluively playing corner for the past several years, therefore they will instantly be ahead of Deejay.

Moving one of the most dynamic playmakers on the team to a position that has never been his primary position, would be pretty foolish and reckless for both he and the team.

We aren't exactly lacking talent in our defensive backfield and DJ has been more than productive in his limited time at RB. I don't see the purpose. Plus DJ can be a real wildcard for us on O.. He's a former QB, who runs routes well and can catch, that plays RB. Leave him at RB and get more creathve

Keep DJ on O at WR or HB to shirt Cam davis or Wiggins need to start giving some recruits a year to adapt and get bigger

I see him taking over Berrios spot in the slot. Add in some special formations with him in the backfield. But no to moving him to defense. Just because someone is a gifted athlete, doesn't mean they can play anywhere. He hasn't seen that side of the ball in three years.

Advertisement
So Mike Jackson, Bandy, Ivey, Frierson, and Blades are all chopped liver? Even with the fact that the DB's in storm18 have not played a down in college, neither has Deejay at any of the DB positions. The difference is, the DB's from storm18 have all been exlcluively playing corner for the past several years, therefore they will instantly be ahead of Deejay.

Moving one of the most dynamic playmakers on the team to a position that has never been his primary position, would be pretty foolish and reckless for both he and the team.

Our entire secondary is very talented already so I disagree with the opinion that they suck. But I also disagree that moving Deejay to defense would be a reckless decision.

We have plenty of dynamic athletes on offense that can replace his production on that side. He can still play on offense too regardless. But moving him to DB as his primary position adds more to the team and is a better money position so its a win/win.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Case in point would be why you did not include Bethel in that group.

Fact is that Deejay is not a starting RB. He is not a starting WR. Yes, he is electric with the ball in his hands, but he's not going to unseat Homer and Lingard will probably jump both of them on the depth chart. If Deejay could be an elite CB then it's well worth it to switch him over given what we already have on offense. And if the experiment fails you put him back. It's not like we're going to lose anything by at least trying him out there.

Last edited:
We aren't exactly lacking talent in our defensive backfield and DJ has been more than productive in his limited time at RB. I don't see the purpose. Plus DJ can be a real wildcard for us on O.. He's a former QB, who runs routes well and can catch, that plays RB. Leave him at RB and get more creathve

Yeah our defensive backfield looked awesome last year against UNC, Syracuse, Clemson and Wisconsin. Really short memory with you guys.

Our entire secondary is very talented already so I disagree with the opinion that they suck. But I also disagree that moving Deejay to defense would be a reckless decision.

We have plenty of dynamic athletes on offense that can replace his production on that side. He can still play on offense too regardless. But moving him to DB as his primary position adds more to the team and is a better money position so its a win/win.
I respect your opinion. People make position changes all the time and are very successful in doing so. However, in Deejay's case I think he and the team will be better suited with him remaining at his current position.

Advertisement
I see him taking over Berrios spot in the slot. Add in some special formations with him in the backfield. But no to moving him to defense. Just because someone is a gifted athlete, doesn't mean they can play anywhere. He hasn't seen that side of the ball in three years.

Interesting you say this but are also suggesting he switch positions to WR, another position he has not played.

[
Keep DJ on O at WR or HB to shirt Cam davis or Wiggins need to start giving some recruits a year to adapt and get bigger

Cam Davis has that Mark Ingram build already, he doesnt need to redshirt. And both Lingard and Davis are threats in the pass game. They are both ready to play this year imo.

I just don't agree with just placing Deejay Dallas as a RB only and having to split reps
.... he would have a bigger impact on the field 100% of the time on defense instead of just 15-20% of the time on offense.

I respect your opinion. People make position changes all the time and are very successful in doing so. However, in Deejay's case I think he and the team will be better suited with him remaining at his current position.

So who's on the bench then? Lingard, Homer? Pope, Harley?

Advertisement
Yeah our defensive backfield looked awesome last year against UNC, Syracuse, Clemson and Wisconsin. Really short memory with you guys.

A lot of that has to do with us not getting consistent pressure in the backfield due to all the flagrant holds that went uncalled. Lack of depth is an issue at cb, but not lack of talent.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Case in point would be why you did not include Bethel in that group.

Fact is that Deejay is not a starting RB. He is not a starting WR. Yes, he is electric with the ball in his hands, but he's not going to unseat Homer and Lingard will probably jump both of them on the depth chart. If Deejay could be an elite CB then it's well worth it to switch him over given what we already have on offense. And if the experiment fails you put him back. It's not like we're going to lose anything by at least trying him out there.
We will have to agree to disagree on this one my man. I just don't see how playing musical chairs with Deejay's position and/or career, will benefit he or the team in any way, especially when DB has NEVER been his primary position.

He is the ultimate team player, so he would do whatever is asked of him. I am in hopes that the staff would allow him to settle into a position that he has already worked his *** off to learn and happen to thrive in, late in the season, considering he has already made a position change.

A lot of that has to do with us not getting consistent pressure in the backfield due to all the flagrant holds that went uncalled. Lack of depth is an issue at cb, but not lack of talent.

That's a bad argument for a team that finished 4th in the country in sacks.

Advertisement
We will have to agree to disagree on this one my man. I just don't see how playing musical chairs with Deejay's position and/or career, will benefit he or the team in any way, especially when DB has NEVER been his primary position.

He is the ultimate team player, so he would do whatever is asked of him. I am in hopes that the staff would allow him to settle into a position that he has already worked his *** off to learn and happen to thrive in, late in the season, considering he has already made a position change.

This is the way I look at it.

Pick the person that you have to put on the bench:
Lingard
Homer
Pope
Jhavonte Dean

No one knows what we're getting out of the corners this year with MJ and Dean coming back with a bunch of freshmen. This is at the very least a discussion that needs to be had considering we filled the gap offensively in recruiting but not defensively. Corners last longer in the NFL anyway. We're preparing him to be a 3rd down scat back right now.

So who's on the bench then? Lingard, Homer? Pope, Harley?
What? Bench? Deejay is the type of player that the number of touches per game is the most important factor, regardless of how he gets the touches. There is literally no one else on the team that offers Deejay's skill set. His skill set is literally an offensive coordinator's dream. You just simply do not switch that type of playmaker to DB as an experiment.

How do you know that DB was his money position? He played everything in HS.

Suffice it to say, leaving him at RB wouldn't be bad. Also, depth at RB or Safety is not as bad as it was last year.

What? Bench? Deejay is the type of player that the number of touches per game is the most important factor, regardless of how he gets the touches. There is literally no one else on the team that offers Deejay's skill set. His skill set is literally an offensive coordinator's dream. You just simply do not switch that type of playmaker to DB as an experiment.

This. As I've said before, Deejay was arguably our best RB last season. Homer was good, but Deejay has more playmaking ability.

Advertisement
Back