December 5th Draft decision updates

I wouldn't be against moving Rivers to center and promoting one of the 35 tackles on the roster to LT.

I think it depends on who we get in the portal and spring. I agree I am not opposed to it but I see it more likely Rivers stick as a T or goes to LG. Personally, I would like to see him at LG. He did fine and better than expected at LT but the NFL sees his money position at G. Samson/Bell/McCoy could take that LT spot and do just as good as rivers. If not, Rivers stays at LT obviously. I would also prefer a natural C from the portal.

But if we miss completely on the portal then I agree that a line of Bell/Samson for LT/ McCoy for LG and Rivers at C is likely the best with what is on the roster.

Advertisement
Sucks to lose Lee but makes sense biz wise for him as C prospects only get so high up in the draft and he put good film out this year. Seems positive for the others. I know we'll try to grab another portal C since Rodriguez & Tripp likely aren't ready.
Lee is a very good center no doubt, but definitely no able to handle a NFL nose at all .

Needs more size and upper body strength to handle NFL DT 330 on up with in human power .

Advertisement
Posted these updates in other threads but wanted to keep them in one place. Few things I’m hearing this morning as guys near decisions in terms of staying or entering the draft

Matt Lee: as I posted yesterday morning, he’s leaning towards leaving right now. Miami was hopeful last week that he would stay but looks more likely he’s gone.

Jalen Rivers: staying in school of last night

Jared Harrison-Hunte: huge one for Miami here. Leaning towards staying in school

Kiko Maiugoa: been going back and forth but still more likely that he stays than goes. Scouts are under the impression that he’s staying in school. Parents want him to play another year with his brother
3 of the 4 coming back is still huge, but somehow getting all 4 to come back would be an absolute HOMERUN!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Lee is a very good center no doubt, but definitely no able to handle a NFL nose at all .

Needs more size and upper body strength to handle NFL DT 330 on up with in human power .
I just hope he gets drafted around 3rd or 4th rd. Something more for MC & Mirabal to sell on the trail.

Posted these updates in other threads but wanted to keep them in one place. Few things I’m hearing this morning as guys near decisions in terms of staying or entering the draft

Matt Lee: as I posted yesterday morning, he’s leaning towards leaving right now. Miami was hopeful last week that he would stay but looks more likely he’s gone.

Jared Harrison-Hunte: huge one for Miami here. Leaning towards staying in school

Kiko Maiugoa: been going back and forth but still more likely that he stays than goes. Scouts are under the impression that he’s staying in school. Parents want him to play another year with his brother
**** I thought kiko was a lock to stay. Hopefully miami gets him back. Rivers and JHH would be huge

where does lee project in the draft?

Advertisement
I think it depends on who we get in the portal and spring. I agree I am not opposed to it but I see it more likely Rivers stick as a T or goes to LG. Personally, I would like to see him at LG. He did fine and better than expected at LT but the NFL sees his money position at G. Samson/Bell/McCoy could take that LT spot and do just as good as rivers. If not, Rivers stays at LT obviously. I would also prefer a natural C from the portal.

But if we miss completely on the portal then I agree that a line of Bell/Samson for LT/ McCoy for LG and Rivers at C is likely the best with what is on the roster.
Wasn't it mentioned before that McCoy has some experience at Center or am I thinking of someone else? If Okunlola gets healthy and makes a nice jump I wouldn't mind seeing Okunlola/Rivers/McCoy/Cooper/Mauigoa with Bell, Kinsler and others competing and rotating in. Obviously Miami doesn't really know what that have in Okunlola yet tho. Bummed he missed most of the season and missed out on valuable rotational reps

would be great if Lee c came back! what is his NFL grade ??..... thought it was last 4-6 th round ??

would be great if Lee c came back! what is his NFL grade ??..... thought it was last 4-6 th round ??
He's probably maxed out his draft value. If you can play LG/RG then there's more value as teams can just kick you to center if it doesn't work out or vice versa.

2023: 7 total centers drafted, 3 in the top 3 rounds.
2022: 6 total centers drafted, 3 in the top 3 rounds.
2021: 9 total centers drafted, 5 in the top 3 rounds.

Very few get selected every year and most are late round picks.

So if he stays maybe he goes from being a 5th/6th round pick to a 3rd/4th round pick. But you also risk injury.

Probably feels like "hey I just want to get drafted and right now I think I've got a pretty good shot."

Advertisement
Back