Dearth of Local TE Talent

Advertisement
in the history of the great Miami teams, where have the TEs come from? all the greats have come from outta state

Shockey - Oklahoma
Bubba Franks - Cali
Greg Olsen - NJ
Winslow Jr - Cali

THAT LIST IS INCOMPLETE AS A STEPHEN MORRIS 7 YARD PASS WITHOUT CHASE FORD OUT OF TEXAS

Ravian Pierce ot of plantation was a big prospect imo...

but i LOVE ..Chris Herndon and seem to be the first or ONLY one driving the bandwagon r ight now...that kid can really run...and has a nice frame with growth potential...he'll be the 6'3 235 pd pass catcher by his redshirt freshman yr imo..

Standish Dobard has that blocking/in line te spot locked up for the future imo.

so many people sleep on him. legit 6'4 4.6 speed atleast 220

Agree with you on Standish, he appeared to be a beast blocker who enjoyed the contact, and his skill set of speed, size and hands provide excellent tools for him to succeed.

Any chance Njoku can be a Mike Evans style player?

There is always a chance, but will he have a qb who will throw it up for grabs knowing the beast will get the ball like johnnie football? Does the QB make the receiver or does receiver make QB?

Advertisement
There are actually three solid ACC tight ends from Palm Beach: Nick O'Leary, Clive Walford and Kalvin Cline from Virginia Tech.

But TE is for sure the weakest position down here. Pierce is the rare big-timer but he's probably better on defense anyway.

I bet UM didn't even look at Kalvin Cline.

I would hate my parents if they named me that

Cline isn't from Palm beach he's from Broward. Played ball at pine crest. Just started playin football junior or senior year. He was a late pick up for vt. Not many new about him. He almost signed to FGCU to play basketball.

Yeah, you're right. His VT profile says he's from Boca for some reason. Didn't know who this kid was until he started making plays for the Hokies.

Just goes to show that if you're going to take a project, it's best to take a chance on a hooper.

Nick O'Leary

Ahhh, forgot about him. Probably because he was a Dwyer kid.

He went to The Benjamin School in West Palm Beach

Pretty sure he transferred to Dwyer from there in 9th or 10th grade. Only reason I remember is because we actually offered him early and FSU came in late after us and a bunch of other schools and still got him. Jack Nicklaus apparently lost all respect for UM after we dropped the golf program.

Advertisement
in the history of the great Miami teams, where have the TEs come from? all the greats have come from outta state

Shockey - Oklahoma
Bubba Franks - Cali
Greg Olsen - NJ
Winslow Jr - Cali

Franks was actually out of Texas (born in Cali I think) but you're right. Could even add Chud to this list too.

I wouldn't. One of the better TEs in our history played on the '83 team, Glenn Dennison. He might have actually been named to a second team A-A. He was a second round pick for the Jets. He was from Beaver Falls, PA.

Beaver Falls, eh? The spawn of Joe Namath and Mr. Belvedere! You're correct on Chud. I rescind him from the list. 3 year starter but mediocre offensive production.

And I loved Chud, but he was a hardworker who did his job but had very little talent. I remember one away game, it might have been WVU, I said to his father that he was doing a great job but that he was slow. I thought that was totally obvious. I could see from the look on his father's face that I shouldn't have said it. His father probably had some illusions about Chud making it to the NFL. Chud could hardly run, he would lumber. He did make it to the NFL, but in another capacity.

What's happened to him, does he have another job yet?

I believe Chud walked away from the fiasco in Cleveland with about $10 mil. I think he was content taking this year off and focusing his attention on sabotaging the Browns coach search- not that that took muck effort.

Advertisement
Back