Dearth of Local TE Talent

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
From Barry Jackson's latest post:

### Golden told WQAM’s Joe Rose: “We would never drive past a local kid to fly out of state” to recruit, but that it’s difficult to fill some needs locally.

“There’s not a lot of tight ends down here, 250 pounds and can run like Clive Walford. So we had to go up to Atlanta to get Chris Herndon. Hopefully, we’ll find that kid down here next year. We will always [look] down here first to exhaust whatever position it is before going out of state."

My brain is fried from the last few days but I can't say I disagree with Alfred on this. Who was the last TE within 150 miles of here to be a big time recruit or actually produce? The Heuerman kids out of Naples are the only guys that come to my mind. Anybody aware of any local 2015 kids at the position worth anything? I get that the TE probably isn't as utilized in South Florida high school football as it is elsewhere but you'd think there would be the occasional kid with a power forward type frame too big to play WR that'd demand some touches.

Advertisement
Advertisement
in the history of the great Miami teams, where have the TEs come from? all the greats have come from outta state

Shockey - Oklahoma
Bubba Franks - Cali
Greg Olsen - NJ
Winslow Jr - Cali

in the history of the great Miami teams, where have the TEs come from? all the greats have come from outta state

Shockey - Oklahoma
Bubba Franks - Cali
Greg Olsen - NJ
Winslow Jr - Cali

Franks was actually out of Texas (born in Cali I think) but you're right. Could even add Chud to this list too.

Shockey - Oklahoma
Bubba Franks - Cali
Greg Olsen - NJ
Winslow Jr - Cali

Kevin Everett - Texas
Jimmy Graham - North Carolina

Not sure Jimmy counts but still interesting that all of them are from out of state.

Advertisement

Shockey - Oklahoma
Bubba Franks - Cali
Greg Olsen - NJ
Winslow Jr - Cali

Franks was actually out of Texas (born in Cali I think) but you're right. Could even add Chud to this list too.

correct, he from riverside, Cali , but was recruited out of texas

TE is just an odd position, a lot of players that are the size/athleticism will play defense in high school. It's a relatively thin position across the country, not just South Florida. A ton of guys who end up at TE in college with either WRs or DEs in HS. Not a lot of true TE prospects out there.

Really hope we can get a top flight TE in 2015 that has upside as a blocker but is actually a receiving threat.

Advertisement
Ravian Pierce ot of plantation was a big prospect imo...

but i LOVE ..Chris Herndon and seem to be the first or ONLY one driving the bandwagon r ight now...that kid can really run...and has a nice frame with growth potential...he'll be the 6'3 235 pd pass catcher by his redshirt freshman yr imo..

Standish Dobard has that blocking/in line te spot locked up for the future imo.

I'm thinking Coleman Bell from the early 90's was from Florida but not local. He might be the best in-state product at the position we've had. I was a little kid but I seem to remember Torretta targeting him a lot.

but i LOVE ..Chris Herndon and seem to be the first or ONLY one driving the bandwagon r ight now...that kid can really run...and has a nice frame with growth potential...he'll be the 6'3 235 pd pass catcher by his redshirt freshman yr imo..

I'm not sure if Pierce signed anywhere. He bailed on Arky or the other way around.

Advertisement
can someone explain why we need blocking tight ends?

i mean, why can't you just use another linemen? aren't they better for blocking?

Go ahead and drive but my *** has hopped on the back awhile ago. Great athlete with huge potential.

I see a resurgence in balls thrown to the TE next season if Williams truly is the favorite to start at QB but that's probably a discussion for a different post...

Advertisement
Back