Dearth of Local TE Talent

Advertisement
We had a TE committed here back in the Butch Era out of Southridge. Willie Roberts. Just didnt make it in. (shrugs)

But yeah, kids dont really want to be TEs down here. If you have a kid that is 6'3 215-230 you gonna put him at DE.

Cant knock Al for every **** thing. Kill him for the DT situation all you want. But this is a position where SoFla just doesnt grow them on a yearly basis.

Ravian Pierce ot of plantation was a big prospect imo...

but i LOVE ..Chris Herndon and seem to be the first or ONLY one driving the bandwagon r ight now...that kid can really run...and has a nice frame with growth potential...he'll be the 6'3 235 pd pass catcher by his redshirt freshman yr imo..

Standish Dobard has that blocking/in line te spot locked up for the future imo.

so many people sleep on him. legit 6'4 4.6 speed atleast 220

Advertisement
in the history of the great Miami teams, where have the TEs come from? all the greats have come from outta state

Shockey - Oklahoma
Bubba Franks - Cali
Greg Olsen - NJ
Winslow Jr - Cali

Franks was actually out of Texas (born in Cali I think) but you're right. Could even add Chud to this list too.

correct, he from riverside, Cali , but was recruited out of texas

He played all of his HS ball in Texas. He's from Texas. :)

There goes Al again obsessed with 250-260 pound TEs. SMH

" Run like Clive Walford" ? Ummmm ....... What ?

Walford does not look fast in games, but make no mistake, he's a great athlete and he is faster than you think.

We used to be all about SPEED, now he wants us to donate money for the Victory Fund so they can have better access to cheeseburgers and fries. No thanks.

They better get on Clarington now!

Does Orson Charles count?

Ricard Gordon?

Richard Gordon wasn't a TE... Shannon had him returning kicks!;)

And Gordon wasn't from S. Fla. He was a Jersey kid.

Richard Gordon went to Norland. Last time I checked that school is still in Miami

Lemme just take a second to eat my crow.......... I was somehow confusing him with Dwayne Hendricks.

235.jpg

Advertisement

but i LOVE ..Chris Herndon and seem to be the first or ONLY one driving the bandwagon r ight now...that kid can really run...and has a nice frame with growth potential...he'll be the 6'3 235 pd pass catcher by his redshirt freshman yr imo..

Golden mentioned Herndon already being 235-238, and the lack of exposure probably hurt him some as far as hype goes. Good athlete but definitely a few years from contributing. Needs to learn to use his size better.

Really like Dobard too and think he can be a starting TE, good blocker and consistently underneath guy, but getting a more dynamic guy in the 2015 class would be cool. I'm just selfish and like super freak TEs.

I feel like Herndon and Njoku are pretty dynamic.

And I don't know why everybody thinks Njoku is a TE. Has the staff described him as such? I haven't seen the post-signing press release, and I don't know what AG is saying about him. I just think it would be crazy to bulk him up to TE size and lose the ability to become an elite high jumper. How many 250 pound high jumpers are there?

In Golden's presser he called him an X with potential to grow into a move TE, his frame definitely suggest he'll get to 230+ fairly easily. He's not going to be an inline guy, but he can line up in the TE area and do things from there. If he ends up as a "TE", he'll be a TE like Jimmy Graham and Jermichael Finley are TEs. He'll be a dynamic weapon wherever he lines up at on the field, and I don't see the staff forcing him into being a TE (weight wise) when you have Dobard/O'Donnell/Herndon already here, plus them sounding like they're really targetting 2 guys there next year.

Advertisement
in the history of the great Miami teams, where have the TEs come from? all the greats have come from outta state

Shockey - Oklahoma
Bubba Franks - Cali
Greg Olsen - NJ
Winslow Jr - Cali

Franks was actually out of Texas (born in Cali I think) but you're right. Could even add Chud to this list too.

I wouldn't. One of the better TEs in our history played on the '83 team, Glenn Dennison. He might have actually been named to a second team A-A. He was a second round pick for the Jets. He was from Beaver Falls, PA.

Beaver Falls, eh? The spawn of Joe Namath and Mr. Belvedere! You're correct on Chud. I rescind him from the list. 3 year starter but mediocre offensive production.

so many people sleep on him. legit 6'4 4.6 speed atleast 220

Herndon was the most impressive player on that Georgia team when BTW killed them, not that overrated DE Carter who some unknown OT had for lunch. You could see Herndon's athletic ability on the few plays where he had the chance to do something.

Shockey - Oklahoma
Bubba Franks - Cali
Greg Olsen - NJ
Winslow Jr - Cali

I wouldn't. One of the better TEs in our history played on the '83 team, Glenn Dennison. He might have actually been named to a second team A-A. He was a second round pick for the Jets. He was from Beaver Falls, PA.

Beaver Falls, eh? The spawn of Joe Namath and Mr. Belvedere! You're correct on Chud. I rescind him from the list. 3 year starter but mediocre offensive production.

And I loved Chud, but he was a hardworker who did his job but had very little talent. I remember one away game, it might have been WVU, I said to his father that he was doing a great job but that he was slow. I thought that was totally obvious. I could see from the look on his father's face that I shouldn't have said it. His father probably had some illusions about Chud making it to the NFL. Chud could hardly run, he would lumber. He did make it to the NFL, but in another capacity.

What's happened to him, does he have another job yet?

Advertisement

Golden mentioned Herndon already being 235-238, and the lack of exposure probably hurt him some as far as hype goes. Good athlete but definitely a few years from contributing. Needs to learn to use his size better.

Really like Dobard too and think he can be a starting TE, good blocker and consistently underneath guy, but getting a more dynamic guy in the 2015 class would be cool. I'm just selfish and like super freak TEs.

I feel like Herndon and Njoku are pretty dynamic.

And I don't know why everybody thinks Njoku is a TE. Has the staff described him as such? I haven't seen the post-signing press release, and I don't know what AG is saying about him. I just think it would be crazy to bulk him up to TE size and lose the ability to become an elite high jumper. How many 250 pound high jumpers are there?

In Golden's presser he called him an X with potential to grow into a move TE, his frame definitely suggest he'll get to 230+ fairly easily. He's not going to be an inline guy, but he can line up in the TE area and do things from there. If he ends up as a "TE", he'll be a TE like Jimmy Graham and Jermichael Finley are TEs. He'll be a dynamic weapon wherever he lines up at on the field, and I don't see the staff forcing him into being a TE (weight wise) when you have Dobard/O'Donnell/Herndon already here, plus them sounding like they're really targetting 2 guys there next year.

That sounds right, but I don't follow pro football anymore--except I watched the Super Bowl--so I'm no longer familiar with current players, like Mike Evans or Jermichael Finley. Obviously, I'm familiar with Jimmy Graham.

I watched Njoku's highlights and he does look like a football player, not a track guy trying to play football. (I've seen those going back to Frank Budd, whom I actually watched in a Bears-Redskins exhibition game back in '63 through Hayes and Renaldo Nehemiah--obviously some are real football players some are not.) I think we might have gotten one of the steals of this years recruiting.

I haven't heard or read the term "move" TE but I have an idea what you're talkiing about. Would that be similar to or different from an H-back. I could see Njoku playing all over the place, in tight and split out wide, as long as he maintains speed. If he can really leap as a receiver like his high-jumping prowess suggests, he should give DBs nightmares.

If a LB has to match up with him I could see problems there, too.

There are a lot of pro WRs in the 220-230 range now.

There are actually three solid ACC tight ends from Palm Beach: Nick O'Leary, Clive Walford and Kalvin Cline from Virginia Tech.

But TE is for sure the weakest position down here. Pierce is the rare big-timer but he's probably better on defense anyway.

I bet UM didn't even look at Kalvin Cline.

I would hate my parents if they named me that

Cline isn't from Palm beach he's from Broward. Played ball at pine crest. Just started playin football junior or senior year. He was a late pick up for vt. Not many new about him. He almost signed to FGCU to play basketball.

Advertisement
Back