DE Quentin Williams to the Portal

This is what happens when a team sucks and is in a dog fight every single week,you need your starters out there up until the last whistle and the younger players get no snaps late in games.Had we taken care of business this season maybe a kid like Williams would have stuck around.
These next few games he might have.

Advertisement
I don't know what his reason is, but I know today's kid has absolutely no patience when it comes to the depth chart. I've got kids in college who have only been at their universities for a year and already want to transfer because they're not playing enough.

The entitlement is so bad that many kids would rather start early on a crappy team, than to redshirt and grind hard for a year or two and eventually contribute at a top-10 program.
I've got a friend whose son left Kentucky after his freshman year because he wasn't playing enough. Went to sorry *** Akron, and he's still not playing enough and wants to hit the portal again. If he had just grinded it out and waited his turn, he could be a major contributor at a top-10 program right now and playing SEC ball. SMH practice a little more foresight.
Exactly my point. Thanks Coach.

Advertisement
That’s how I understand it. You lose seven you can take up to seven guys to replace them.
Do you know if this is a 1 time thing or the plan going forward? I know they have to do something to allow schools to replace kids, but this also seems to open the door back up to coaches pushing kids out which they tried to address when putting the initial counter restrictions in place. Maybe they are willing to accept that if they didnt think there were any other good options.

EDIT: I originally took your 'up to seven' to mean 'up to <the number of guys lost>' where as you meant if you lose 7 or more players, then you can take up to 7 transfers w/o them counting against you and it is only a one year exception (as of now).

From NCAA press release:

The Division I Council this week approved a one-year waiver of the annual signing limit and initial scholarship limits in football to allow schools to replace up to seven scholarship student-athletes who leave school after the first term.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Ford is for sure gone. Nesta is prob 95% gone. I'm not sure how long Miller sticks around for his 10 snaps a game.

How insane to leave mid year. There is endless 2nd team snaps next year behind LT & Hunte

I don't know what his reason is, but I know today's kid has absolutely no patience when it comes to the depth chart. I've got kids in college who have only been at their universities for a year and already want to transfer because they're not playing enough.

The entitlement is so bad that many kids would rather start early on a crappy team, than to redshirt and grind hard for a year or two and eventually contribute at a top-10 program.
I've got a friend whose son left Kentucky after his freshman year because he wasn't playing enough. Went to sorry *** Akron, and he's still not playing enough and wants to hit the portal again. If he had just grinded it out and waited his turn, he could be a major contributor at a top-10 program right now and playing SEC ball. SMH practice a little more foresight.
Another factor is he most likely receives better coaching at Kentucky than Akron

Advertisement
Another factor is he most likely receives better coaching at Kentucky than Akron

even Bama kids leave when they don't play but it just doesn't really hurt them as much bc there is another five star haha.

its part of the landscape now. if you don't play, you're gonna have to recruit them to stay on

These are young men who haven't fully matured mentally, it's all about immediate gratification.

Advertisement
Do you know if this is a 1 time thing or the plan going forward? I know they have to do something to allow schools to replace kids, but this also seems to open the door back up to coaches pushing kids out which they tried to address when putting the initial counter restrictions in place. Maybe they are willing to accept that if they didnt think there were any other good options.

EDIT: I originally took your 'up to seven' to mean 'up to <the number of guys lost>' where as you meant if you lose 7 or more players, then you can take up to 7 transfers w/o them counting against you and it is only a one year exception (as of now).

From NCAA press release:

The Division I Council this week approved a one-year waiver of the annual signing limit and initial scholarship limits in football to allow schools to replace up to seven scholarship student-athletes who leave school after the first term.

It's a 1 year thing and Manny has already confirmed we'll have the full 32 allotment.

They're discussing other options to make the permanent path after this class and it will be something similar. I've heard a few different options are floating around such as having as many slots as needed to get to 85 scholarship players, just increasing the hard cap from 25 to 30, and similar to this year but more flexible in having the 25 cap and then having flexibility based on the number you lose to the portal and non-qualifiers and being able to have additional slots for guys that opt to leave early for the NFL. Have heard that last option being thrown around with a cap of 7 or 10 and with no cap so if you lose 25 guys to the portal, you can sign 50 new guys if needed.

They did this 1 year thing because the portal is so full of players that have nowhere to go. It's gonna get really interesting when teams stop recruiting HS all-together and only bring in veteran guys. Or recruit 5-10 high school guys a year and then rely entirely on the portal for the rest of the positions.

On the other hand... someone like Alabama or Georgia could really take advantage of it and sign 40 freshman and really take away options for a lot of other schools recruiting HS kids. They're almost always full and filtering out to only take the best guys that want in at the end of the cycle. If they didn't have to filter and can take all of who they want.. that could force other teams with the same recruiting base that are getting the leftovers like Tennessee, Mississippi State, GT, etc to rely on transfers.

These are young men who haven't fully matured mentally, it's all about immediate gratification.
If I'm being honest, their parents make it worse too.

I've had 10th grader's parents complaining that their son isn't starting and/or playing enough. (on the varsity defense) Sending us messages on Facebook and ****. I've heard a 9th grader's dad complain that his son doesn't have any offers yet. I've had the dad of a young/inexperienced 6'0" 190lb kid complain that his son isn't playing enough on DL when I have a GT commit + two 290lb upperclassmen in front of him.

The **** is crazy, bro. The entitlement. SMH
And what's worse is - we play 18-20 kids on defense EVERY GAME. We rotate a lot and have multiple sub-packages that allow other kids to contribute.
We still get complaints.

Advertisement
Back