*** DC/LB Coach WATCH Thread ***

Hmm. I don’t recall Shaq making first team AllACC as a freshman or Pinckney winning anything either.

and don’t change subject to recruiting bc you took a losing position.

Diaz is a good LB position coach. He has a track record of putting his guys in the NFL. He learned from one of the best, Chuck Amato.

LBs all took a step back when he stopped coaching the position.
I’m not sure I follow your logic. Shaq committed to Dorito then Richt, was a freshman all american and third team all ACC, made second team all ACC as a sophomore, and first team both junior and senior seasons. He had his best season after Diaz became HC and Baker was DC (Shaq’s senior season).

Advertisement
Nobody else on here thinks Manny does a good job coaching LB's but you, that should tell you something. Why did their draft stock drop significantly after their junior year

Think about it ...he just took a job at lsu...

Advertisement
I’m not sure I follow your logic. Shaq committed to Dorito then Richt, was a freshman all american and third team all ACC, made second team all ACC as a sophomore, and first team both junior and senior seasons. He had his best season after Diaz became HC and Baker was DC (Shaq’s senior season).
He had his best season as far as impactful plays his junior year. 5 sacks as a junior. That dipped to 1 as a senior. He only had 1.5 more tackles for loss as a senior despite having 25 more tackles. He was part of a better defense his junior year too. He was on the field more in 2019. Mostly because LB depth was such that Ryan Ragone was playing important snaps and they wanted to redshirt McCloud so his tackle numbers were up.

In most cases yes, but it depends on the situation & the person in particular.

Like DVD was essentially an in-house promotion, he was never a GA or QC coach here & was only an off field assistant recruiting director before he got hired as the full time CB’s coach. In fact his only experience was he spent a year as a CB’s/Special Teams coach at ASA Miami Juco before he got hired at Miami, so he’s a fairly green & inexperienced coach, but most of our fan base doesn’t have a big problem with it because he’s shown have to very good recruiting acumen & because we have a really good DB coach in TRob that DVD can learn under.

Promoting from within can be both good & bad, it just depends on the circumstances.

At spots that are more geared towards good recruiting like RB/WR/CB etc in-house promotions aren’t that bad, it’s when you promote from within with a coach who hasn’t really shown anything of value worthy of giving him an important spot that makes fans frustrated.

That’s why hiring guys on the come up from the lower levels as analysts can be a good strategy to build up a future staff, because if you bring in a FCS coach & let him be a QC/analyst for 2 years, by the time he’s ready to get a bump up to an on field position spot it won’t be a blindside hire that will **** fans off, they’ll already have familiarity with him.
Agree 100%!! That’s how you create consistency as well. I can tell Manny is following the Clemson model in some areas.

Advertisement
He had his best season as far as impactful plays his junior year. 5 sacks as a junior. That dipped to 1 as a senior. He only had 1.5 more tackles for loss as a senior despite having 25 more tackles. He was part of a better defense his junior year too. He was on the field more in 2019. Mostly because LB depth was such that Ryan Ragone was playing important snaps and they wanted to redshirt McCloud so his tackle numbers were up.
the ‘18 D was better and called more aggressive;y. Shaq went from 82 tackles as a junior to 107 as a senior. We can debate the other items all day long but that’s a lot more tackles, and the MLB job is tackles.. Hard to say he want backwards as a senior. Which was the original contention I responded to.

If I'm not mistaken, while at Miami, HC Randy Shannon had just lost his DC and at some point verbalized that he would do it if he couldn't find one. Jimmy Johnson told him that it would be too much on his plate and that he needed to hire one. I can't remember specifics but seemed to recall a similar situation with Shannon in the past.

Advertisement
Hire Travis Williams. Give TRob the DC title (apparently we are paying him like one). Manny calls the plays.
Sorry Al. I've got to disagree on this one. I'm good with hiring Williams to coach DBs but giving a DC title to TRob? I don't think so.

Which is why we need to go after an offensive analyst as well. Guys like Chad Morris and possibly Tee Martin are out there who we can get on the cheap. ****, see is Lashlees made up w Malzahn and get him here on Auburns dime.
This sounds GREAT. I'll take Tee Martin's *** too....im tired of seeing UM with these no name *** Analyst

Gerald Alexander Dolphins DB Coach would be perfect
For our DC position? Not arguing or attacking you here. I just honestly want to know why you think he is a perfect candidate to be our DC? Outside his time as a GA and an Intern, Alexander basically has 6 years experience as a DB coach. 5 years in college and 1 in the NFL.

Advertisement
For our DC position? Not arguing or attacking you here. I just honestly want to know why you think he is a perfect candidate to be our DC? Outside his time as a GA and an Intern, Alexander basically has 6 years experience as a DB coach. 5 years in college and 1 in the NFL.
While at Cal he sent several DB to the nfl and they had one of the better secondaries in college. In his first season at Miami literally every DB on that roster had the best season of his career. He gets the best out of his players. In the NFL he's viewed as a future DC. He's extremely smart, detail oriented and his players love him

While at Cal he sent several DB to the nfl and they had one of the better secondaries in college. In his first season at Miami literally every DB on that roster had the best season of his career. He gets the best out of his players. In the NFL he's viewed as a future DC. He's extremely smart, detail oriented and his players love him
I wasn't aware of any of that which is why I asked. Seems like a bright young and very capable upcoming defensive coach.

Advertisement
Back