*** DC/LB Coach WATCH Thread ***

MIA42178

All-ACC
Banned
There’s several Baker to LSU threads and a couple various potential LB coach threads.

if you’d please, post any rumors, confirmed interviews, and so forth in here so it’s easy to follow?

If you think this is a bad idea, please go outside and play hide and go **** yourself

Advertisement
Hire Travis Williams. Give TRob the DC title (apparently we are paying him like one). Manny calls the plays.
Not a good idea because when Manny decides he needs to give up playcalling and hire a DC... you’ve gotta take the title away and demote your best guy on staff.

I think manny hires a true DC. Don’t think he wants to call the defense.

Advertisement
Do we have enough on-field spots for a new backers and DC coach? Feel like it has to be one or the other. In that scenario, I think it's most prudent to hire the best LB possible and have Shoop assist from his analyst spot. If it works, awesome, and you can make Shoop the full-time DC next year. If it flops you go out and hire a top DC next year

Advertisement
Do we have enough on-field spots for a new backers and DC coach? Feel like it has to be one or the other. In that scenario, I think it's most prudent to hire the best LB possible and have Shoop assist from his analyst spot. If it works, awesome, and you can make Shoop the full-time DC next year. If it flops you go out and hire a top DC next year

If he hire Shoop as an analyst, we can't promote him next year without losing someone else.

There’s several Baker to LSU threads and a couple various potential LB coach threads.

if you’d please, post any rumors, confirmed interviews, and so forth in here so it’s easy to follow?

If you think this is a bad idea, please go outside and play hide and go **** yourself
I can’t be the only one who pictured Clark Griswald saying that last line as I read this 😂

Not a good idea because when Manny decides he needs to give up playcalling and hire a DC... you’ve gotta take the title away and demote your best guy on staff.

I think manny hires a true DC. Don’t think he wants to call the defense.
Although I would love to bring in TWill as LB coach you’re right. If Manny does he’s basically locking either himself or one of the guys currently on staff into his long term DC. At least until someone gets hired away from staff opening up another spot.

Advertisement
Too bad Jim Levitt just took a job with SMU. Levitt can coach all aspects of defense, but he might be too much of an alpha for Manny.

CIS likes Williams as LB coach and recruiter, and Shoop as an analyst. T-Rob can be co-defensive coordinator and Manny can call plays.

That works. Definitely a huge upgrade over last season

Advertisement
My thoughts:

Option 1: Hire a true DC who is going to call plays and run the defense (game planning, play calling, etc.) Allows Manny to be the HC. Individual must have autonomy and LB duties would either fall onto the new hire or potentially Patke (but he would need help with the recruiting aspect of the role).

Option 2: Hire a LB coach that has a proven track record of recruiting and developing players. T-Will and Barrow come to mind. Manny calls plays while coaches like Simpson, T-Rob and Patke (smart with Xs and Os) handle game planning and manage practice. This boxes in Manny as the play caller until he feels confident that he can relinquish the role to one of the other defensive coaches.

Option 3: Sub-optimal hires and reshuffling of the staff.

Give me Option 1 but I can live with Option 2.

EDIT: Problem with Option 1 is that a new DC would want his guys on the staff and that ain't happening in Year 1 at this stage. But, I still like Option 1.

Last edited:
I’d personally like to see us swing for the fences and hire an ex- NFL head coach that’s defensive minded like a Lovie Smith or Dan Quinn. An up an comer like the Alexander from the Fins would be great also. Imagine him coaching the secondary with Trob! Give them the DC job. No coach in the current roster would enter a ****ing match with a guy of this caliber. Decide who calls plays naturally when the time comes. If Diaz calls plays the ex HC could act as one in all other aspects while that’s happening. It would only make the team better.

1611934078366.png

Advertisement
Back