*** DC/LB Coach WATCH Thread ***

I’ll be honest with you , I’ve called a lot of shots the last two years, some a month or two out. But the whole “ worst case scenario manny will demote baker from play calling and manny takes over” gets lost. Nobody even had that as a possibility or on the table. No media or pay sites, nada. It’s actually kind of unheard of to be done in the off-season by a head coach.

If manny was taking a dc it was going to be a splash hire , if not he was going to run things. That’s why I say he’s not stuck on running his d or has an ego with this. He was willing to bring in real names in the dc game. He’s still trying. But worst case he runs things but regardless the d staff looks great , especially if the lb hire happens. It’ll be a recruiting all star team, the d staff will no longer be holding things back. It’s a major upgrade as a whole.
Multiple podcast I listened to mentioned Manny taking over as DC and demoting Baker right after the Rumph and Stroud news dropped.

Advertisement
Speaking of analysts I was told Butch Jones and Charlie Strong are pretty much running the defense at practice lol. Two “ analysts “ .
The NCAA doesn’t have the balls to stand up to Bama but they should absolutely put a cap on analysts. Been saying this for years.

honest question why do people think steele calling plays is better than manny calling plays? factual evidence tells us otherwise although I know steele's experience would add value

I wonder if Diaz's plan might include T-Will as an analyst and Steele as DC/LB coach. Steele would be a one year rental so that would open up the opportunity for Simpson as playcalling co-DC with T-Rob next year, then T-Will slides right into the LB role. Just because a guy is an analyst doesn't mean he can't recruit- it just means he can't recruit off campus. He can still make phone calls and interact with recruits on campus (which actually includes off campus within a certain radius). So T-Rob and DVD get the kids to visit, and the trio seal the deal.

I'd prefer Patke get kicked to analyst and T-Will move to LB/Strikers. That would be a grand slam off-season. Patke as one of the 10 coaches and T-Will as analyst is a 3 run HR- still pretty **** good.
Who would coach special teams if patke moved to an analyst?

Advertisement
honest question why do people think steele calling plays is better than manny calling plays? factual evidence tells us otherwise although I know steele's experience would add value
Since 2016 Steele's defense has been about the same or worse in ypg,ppg and ypp. I think it still would be good so manny can focus on the big picture and be a head coach. Yes some coaches call plays on offense but it's really rare on defense.

Advertisement
Since 2016 Steele's defense has been about the same or worse in ypg,ppg and ypp. I think it still would be good so manny can focus on the big picture and be a head coach. Yes some coaches call plays on offense but it's really rare on defense.
fair enough, assuming manny would still have his hands in it heavily. Having Shoop, Steele, Trob, and Manny on the same defensive staff, along with DVD and Simpson

WOW

You’re allowed 10 on-field assistants & only 4 GA’s but GA’s are basically like paid interns it’s an entry level position on a college staff.

The loophole is in QC’s & Analysts, you’re allowed as many Analysts & quality control coaches as you want, schools like Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame, UGA, LSU, OH St, TAMU, Texas etc take advantage of the analyst rule by hiring an entire 2nd staff of analysts. Bama has anywhere from 40-50+ coaches on their staff in any given year.

The analysts game is where the advantage of having a large booster base comes into play, the schools with a shìt ton of money can cash out analyst legit upwards of $100,000 dollar salaries to just be a coach, Analysts are not allowed to recruit off campus but can when recruits visit campus & I believe are allowed to contact recruits as well, but even if they’re not allowed I personally know of analysts who have had contact with recruits all the time, so you know how that goes lol.

Miami can take advantage of the analyst game by bringing up coaches from the lower levels & signing them as analysts & grooming them to potentially be an option to step up& become an on field assistant in the event one of your regular coaches gets hired elsewhere. For example, a guy like Alvin Slaughter who’s from Miami & a former coach at Miami Pace is the WR’s coach at Northwestern Louisiana State, you could sign him as a QC/Analyst & groom him to be a future full time on field WR’s coach if Likens were to get a job elsewhere.

Analysts are basically just assistant coaches, like for instance, Lashlee is the OC/QB’s coach, but when he was hired he brought over Kyle Cooper from SMU as a QC coach, Cooper has been with Lashlee since he was OC at UCONN, he was a GA there & Lash brought him over to SMU with him as well, he’s basically Lashlee’s assistant QB’s coach, whenever Lash gets a HC job, expect for Cooper to be on his staff as his QB’s coach or maybe even as his OC, but the point is, he’s the Assistant QB’s coach, even though he’s just listed as a Quality control coach.

Our fan base would lose it if we promoted from within, instead of grabbing best available coach for open spots.

They regressed their senior season. When Baker was their position coach. In hindsight, they should’ve gone NFL after their junior seasons. Especially Quarterman.

2002 coached Burnette at NC State. First team AllACC
2003 coached manny Lawson at NC state

Texas. Jordan Hicks, Keenan Robinson, Emmanuel Acho

MissState. Chris White, KJ Wright
No sir, their best year was their freshman year! I guess you'll say Manny did a good job recruiting LB's too?

Our fan base would lose it if we promoted from within, instead of grabbing best available coach for open spots.
In most cases yes, but it depends on the situation & the person in particular.

Like DVD was essentially an in-house promotion, he was never a GA or QC coach here & was only an off field assistant recruiting director before he got hired as the full time CB’s coach. In fact his only experience was he spent a year as a CB’s/Special Teams coach at ASA Miami Juco before he got hired at Miami, so he’s a fairly green & inexperienced coach, but most of our fan base doesn’t have a big problem with it because he’s shown have to very good recruiting acumen & because we have a really good DB coach in TRob that DVD can learn under.

Promoting from within can be both good & bad, it just depends on the circumstances.

At spots that are more geared towards good recruiting like RB/WR/CB etc in-house promotions aren’t that bad, it’s when you promote from within with a coach who hasn’t really shown anything of value worthy of giving him an important spot that makes fans frustrated.

That’s why hiring guys on the come up from the lower levels as analysts can be a good strategy to build up a future staff, because if you bring in a FCS coach & let him be a QC/analyst for 2 years, by the time he’s ready to get a bump up to an on field position spot it won’t be a blindside hire that will **** fans off, they’ll already have familiarity with him.

Advertisement
Multiple podcast I listened to mentioned Manny taking over as DC and demoting Baker right after the Rumph and Stroud news dropped.
I was saying it in December. Back then everyone was saying no changes other than maybe couple small position coaches. Even though i said said the d room would look” drastically different”. I also listen to Cane podcasts and back then all of them were saying the same drivel. I heard ivins and Ferman with my own two ears say back then they expect baker to remain.

Lastly around the time Rumph was let go it had been around a month since I posted that ,so it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had info ripped from here by pay sites or Twitter. And i’m not the only one here who’s had that happen.

Last edited:
fair enough, assuming manny would still have his hands in it heavily. Having Shoop, Steele, Trob, and Manny on the same defensive staff, along with DVD and Simpson

WOW
That would be about as good as it gets in the country imo. Shoop and Steele's scheme is pretty similar. They both used alot of quarters coverage and various pattern matching. If we got travis williams instead he was a co- dc under steele the last two years. He obviously didn't call plays but he could be a dc option in a couple years. Not that I'd want him to be the dc next year

Advertisement
No sir, their best year was their freshman year! I guess you'll say Manny did a good job recruiting LB's too?
Hmm. I don’t recall Shaq making first team AllACC as a freshman or Pinckney winning anything either.

and don’t change subject to recruiting bc you took a losing position.

Diaz is a good LB position coach. He has a track record of putting his guys in the NFL. He learned from one of the best, Chuck Amato.

LBs all took a step back when he stopped coaching the position.

Hmm. I don’t recall Shaq making first team AllACC as a freshman or Pinckney winning anything either.

and don’t change subject to recruiting bc you took a losing position.

Diaz is a good LB position coach. He has a track record of putting his guys in the NFL. He learned from one of the best, Chuck Amato.

LBs all took a step back when he stopped coaching the position.
Nobody else on here thinks Manny does a good job coaching LB's but you, that should tell you something. Why did their draft stock drop significantly after their junior year then, answer that???

Advertisement
Back