Coaching DC Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
It must be the offseason already.

Steele can stay.

Score on offense and watch how much better this D looks. Add in the talent at DB, LB, and hopefully DE plus a year more on campus for most AND we should be just fine.

Advertisement
Because it is CIS and everyone has completely made up this idea that Coordinators hire the staff (or bring their guys) not Head Coaches.
When a new HC is building a new staff, I can see hiring the OC and DC first and getting their input on position coaches. Coaching is small fraternity, I presume
coordinators prefer assistants they are at least familiar with, if not worked with at some prior position.

But...

Did Saban fire his entire offensive staffs when Kiffin, Sark, or O'Brien came on board? No. Mario predated Kiffin and stayed until taking the Oregon OL when Sark was hired a few seasons later.

Did Day fire his defensive staff when he hired Knowles from OkState? No. Larry Johnson is still the DL coach. Knowles assumed LB duties, and there are new CB (former Canes assistant/DC Tim Walton) and safeties coach Perry Eliano, from Fickell and Cincinnati. Neither with a connection to Knowles. Knowles spent seven seasons at Duke before three at Oklahoma State. I don't recall Duke having elite to even very good defenses. Maybe they did.

Last edited:
Just throwing a name out there. Do you think Strong is washed as a DC? He may very well be.

He hasn't been a DC since 09. Not saying he couldn't but its been a looooong time since he has had to call plays. There are better options out there including the current DC of Miami.

He hasn't been a DC since 09. Not saying he couldn't but its been a looooong time since he has had to call plays. There are better options out there including the current DC of Miami.
Fair enough. And agree.

Threw his name out there because if Mario dismissed Gattis and promoted Ponce (no!) who's to say he wouldn't do the same if Steele left, promote Strong. I don't see Steele being fired. I could see him leaving on is own, like anyone else.

Advertisement
Fair enough. And agree.

Threw his name out there because if Mario dismissed Gattis and promoted Ponce (no!) who's to say he wouldn't do the same if Steele left, promote Strong. I don't see Steele being fired. I could see him leaving on is own, like anyone else.

Your right as he's the logical stop gap for a couple months. But no chance he should be a long term guy here at anything other than LB coach.

Advertisement
With Zo‘s NFL connections, why not a DC or staff from the league? Maybe a young defensive assistant whose ripe for a DC job but there‘s only so many openings each seasons? Something akin to John Harbaugh recommending a Raven‘s assistant to brother Jim. The guy really improved Michigan’s defense.

With Zo‘s NFL connections, why not a DC or staff from the league? Maybe a young defensive assistant whose ripe for a DC job but there‘s only so many openings each seasons? Something akin to John Harbaugh recommending a Raven‘s assistant to brother Jim. The guy really improved Michigan’s defense.

IiRC, there were rumors of a young dolphins asst being interviewed. He was eventually retained by the dolphins. To Mario's credit, I think he tried that route.

As we all should have learned by now, there needs to be some synergy on the staff...so it'll likely be Geoff Collins or something, a guy Mario has worked with in the past.

Would anyone complain about Geoff Collins ??

When he was with Mario at FIU, he had the best defense is the sun belt. At Mississippi State, he had Top 5 defenses while he was the DC. At UF, he created enough buzz the get interviewed for the HC gig at UCF (Frost got the job) and got the job at Temple.

His big mistake was leaving temple for GT, where he (and the admin) underestimated the challenge of switching to a modern day offense. The guy is a **** of a recruiter too.

Also, I definitely don't believe Pete Golding is a product of the Alabama hype machine. He was successful at all of his G5 DC positions before getting to Tuscaloosa. His defenses, pre- Alabama, were known for being very aggressive.

I wouldn't complain if any of these two were apart of our program. Especially Collins. He got a raw deal at GT. He recruited really well there too

Advertisement
I’m willing to give Steele another year with a new DB coach and maybe DE coach…. UNLESS a stud top 5 DC wants to come.

Otherwise I can live with believing he’s been breaking bad habits from mannys defense and getting through one of the worst LB cores and DB groups that just can’t play assignment football.

I checked last week out of curiosity and houston was ranked 123rd in scoring defense
Yeah it's always fun going back to some of the names some of us were excited about to see how they actually performed. And woooobbboooyyyy were you right...Belk was :****:

I also remember Derek Mason was another name we threw around. That Oklahoma State defense struggled this year as well.

Remember T-Will? He's actually done pretty well with that UCF defense as well.

Zach Arnett from Mississippi State was another intriguing name and one that continues to gain notoriety. That bulldogs defense has been really really good under Arnett and continued that trend this year. Young rising coach that comes from the Brady Hoke tree and interviewed with Mario for Oregon DC role a few years back. If we do move on from Steele (doubt it) then I'd love to see this name as a candidate.

Yeah it's always fun going back to some of the names some of us were excited about to see how they actually performed. And woooobbboooyyyy were you right...Belk was :****:

I also remember Derek Mason was another name we threw around. That Oklahoma State defense struggled this year as well.

Remember T-Will? He's actually done pretty well with that UCF defense as well.

Zach Arnett from Mississippi State was another intriguing name and one that continues to gain notoriety. That bulldogs defense has been really really good under Arnett and continued that trend this year. Young rising coach that comes from the Brady Hoke tree and interviewed with Mario for Oregon DC role a few years back. If we do move on from Steele (doubt it) then I'd love to see this name as a candidate.
T-will had that defense getting absolutely smoked in the conference title game. Then they proceeded to lose their best players in the portal

Advertisement
Would anyone complain about Geoff Collins ?? When he was with Mario at FIU, he had the best defense is the sun belt. At Mississippi State, he had Top 5 defenses while he was the DC. At UF, he created enough buzz the get interviewed for the HC gig at UCF (Frost got the job) and got the job at Temple. His big mistake was leaving temple for GT, where he (and the admin) underestimated the challenge of switching to a modern day offense. The guy is a **** of a recruiter too.
Would love it. Young'ish, experienced, well liked by players. Always has great Defenses. Knows ACC.

Factors:

1) Does Mario blame Steele? Good fit with players?

2) How do we value Strong? Enough to promote?

3) Collins buyout. Can he coach yet? If no, analyst?

Steele sucked at Clemson and now sucks at Miami they should bring a young energetic defense coordinator.
Was pretty **** good at Auburn

Ask Burrow and company...One of best offenses we've ever seen and Auburn played it better than any other team on the schedule that year and it wasn't close. That goes for Clemson, Bama, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back