Coaching DC Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Kane is one of my brothers best friends. He was a year ahead of me and a stud LB in high school and college. Started 3 years at KU under Mangino. He’s been with Bilema and then was SMU DC under Dykes. He has aspirations to be a HC. He’s outside linebackers/Associate HC at Illinois now. I’m just not sure he has the experience Mario would want tbh and he’s as solid as a dude as it comes. He runs an aggressive 4-3. Kids would like him and Mario would like his mentality for sure but he’s 38 and not sure he has the tree below him unless Mario would want to keep everyone else in place with him.

Take him on name alone.

Advertisement
I checked last week out of curiosity and houston was ranked 123rd in scoring defense
So the supposed backup OC was Reece.....and this guy was the favorite DC?......
Shark Tank Writing GIF

Glenn Schumann. He can recruit. He's worked with Mario before. And wasn't there a rumor that he allllmost took the job last time around?

Right off the bat Schumann can hire his own DB coach and DE coach (Idk what coach Wright actually does).

Schumann currently coaches inside linebackers at UGA. If he wants to keep the veteran former DC around, Strong is a good fit beside him as OLB coach. If not, he can hire one or coach the position himself, giving him another open spot to fill.

I'm not exactly impressed by his recruiting, but Idk if losing big Joe causes problems with Mauigoa. So Idk what happens there either way.

So why is it absolutely necessary for the DC to come in and bring in their guys over the HC? LSU's DC has no connections to anyone under his defensive staff. Tennessee's DC has no prior connections to any of his defensive staff. Oregon's defensive staff has no connections to each other and very slim connections to Lanning who runs the defense.

I get maybe bringing a guy you're familiar with but over hauling the entire D so the DC can choose his guys seems excessive. We gave Manny **** about bringing his guys like Baker, Banda, and Patke and they all sucked. Didn't see Penn St can their guys so Manny could bring his ****ty crew with him

Idk if he has a protege that’s near DC quality but I would like somebody that schemes like Jim Knowles.

Not a shot at ya, but funny how Knowles has been coaching forever at many places and now he is a fan favorite at many places because - viola - all of a sudden he has legit talent to work with....Amazing how this works. Kinda like the reverse with Doug Belk.

Advertisement
Is the Doug Belk dream dead?
Just gave up 77 to Lashlee. Pass.
I would go after Pete Golding from Bama. He get killed because Bama is slipping but I think the blame with Bama DBs (Sabans speciality) but they had a good gameplan against LSU.
He is going to be available cause he is getting fired. Bama DBs have disappointed, but Will Anderson is on the side of a milk carton. Gotta be better with that kind of talent. Golding is as doneZo as Gattis.

Rossi is great but I think he is in line for a HC job or a better DC job than Miami.

Joe Gillespie is the guy I would look for. Check out what TCU has done in the 2nd half of games this year.. they shut everyone down (yeah I know it’s been backups).

Halftime adjustments are high on my list of traits I look for in a coordinator.

Advertisement
Just gave up 77 to Lashlee. Pass.

He is going to be available cause he is getting fired. Bama DBs have disappointed, but Will Anderson is on the side of a milk carton. Gotta be better with that kind of talent. Golding is as doneZo as Gattis.

Saban likes him so I don’t think he gets fired but who knows.

Blaming Golding or schemes for Will Anderson’s disappearance is comical. Dude is an edge rusher, he lines up on one side and Dallas Turner on the other. It’s not like Golding is having him drop into coverage or some ****.

Golding was the DC last year during Anderson’s breakout year. Do you think he was like ok you had 18 sacks and countless Pressures, TFLs, and QB Hurries last year but this season I want you do something completely different? Or more likely is Anderson either playing hurt or playing not to get hurt (protect draft status)

Advertisement
We’re definetly gonna have 20+ pages on this with all the exciting and creative candidates we can think of, only for Steele to be retained or Strong to get promoted.

Would love to be quoted for being dead wrong.

One that is good. There are a lot of them out there.

I, like many other dumb decision makers in college football, likely want someone from Georgia...because they are the standard right now and I'd like to be a stop on a rising stars ascension in Glenn Schumann. I also like Brad White. Another ascending guy, but likely a head coach very soon. If Nick Saban wants to fire Pete Golding for the sin of being unable to stop Jayden Daniels, how could I say no?

There are some rock solid Big10 DCs right now, ymmv on how much of a fit they'd be down here. Also, you never know what happens in the next month, but maybe Kirk Ferentz rides off into the sunset and Phil Parker exists on the waiver wire. Got to put in a claim.

Just fantasy booking. There are many good defensive playcallers out there. Even dummies like myself and others have had long lists of good, high quality coordinators in the past in threads like this where we dig deep, but we also knew no one in the Hecht had any idea of who these people were, so it was nice mental *********ion, I suppose. As we all should have learned by now, there needs to be some synergy on the staff...so it'll likely be Geoff Collins or something, a guy Mario has worked with in the past.

So why is it absolutely necessary for the DC to come in and bring in their guys over the HC? LSU's DC has no connections to anyone under his defensive staff. Tennessee's DC has no prior connections to any of his defensive staff. Oregon's defensive staff has no connections to each other and very slim connections to Lanning who runs the defense.

I get maybe bringing a guy you're familiar with but over hauling the entire D so the DC can choose his guys seems excessive. We gave Manny **** about bringing his guys like Baker, Banda, and Patke and they all sucked. Didn't see Penn St can their guys so Manny could bring his ****ty crew with him

Because it is CIS and everyone has completely made up this idea that Coordinators hire the staff (or bring their guys) not Head Coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back