DB Justin Hodges decommits

Advertisement
Advertisement
Vance blew up after the state playoffs and championship game last year. He’s a game day player maker. Not as impressive at 7v7. He needs coaching. From watching him I would guess he has a nice 40 time and better shuttle. He has really long arms and is good at stretching them out to tip balls.

Multiple people reached out to Manny and Co. about this kid. I heard he decommitted from Arkansas. He was at the LSU v Florida game.

Thing is I think they have their smallish corner in this class in Clarke. And off Couch last year, I think they'd want some size in the 2nd or 3rd spot (or just 3rd spot if you think Branch is a corner)

When he committed, y'all bashed the staff for taking a 3star.... He decommits, y'all bash the staff for not being able to keep a 3star. Smh
I don’t know what’s SMH. The staff wanted him and lost him. Even if fans didn’t want him in the first place, it’s bad the staff can’t hold onto a low 3 star with little interest from big programs.

Advertisement
Do we? We have and have had corners who can press and sustain tight coverage. We need a slot corner to replace Bandy and we need corners with ball skills.

This guy was a 3* rated the #62 safety by 247. He's 6'4 with gumby limbs and Orlovsky the broadcaster compared him to Nnamdi Asomugha. He had 3 picks off Fromm, 2 of which were incredible catches away from his frame.

We have a CB coach who can teach and develop. We should be recruiting long skilled corners who deter contested throws, and pick them when they get the chance. Hodges fit that general archetype but I'm sure we can find better with enough digging.

we do not need a slot corner to replace bandy this cycle. We already have Couch in the fold.

Already lost our db w/ ball skills (Francois) doubt we replace him with one as good. I’m a fan of Clarke’s aggressiveness and athletic profile. Also played on both sides of the ball

Lol and this is supposed to be mannys bump year in recruiting. Hard to see us finishing top 20
That’s what happens when you hire a $hitty unqualified head coach who wasn’t even a good recruiter when he was a defensive coordinator and has surrounded himself with a staff that doesn’t even have any business coaching at STA or Miami central. Smh Diaz will fail here and it will be his own doing and unfortunately for a us a slow burn.

Advertisement
Thing is I think they have their smallish corner in this class in Clarke. And off Couch last year, I think they'd want some size in the 2nd or 3rd spot (or just 3rd spot if you think Branch is a corner)
That’s a fair point particularly in regards to Branch’s future position. I suppose I’m in the “we need more athletes at DB” camp.

And while I’m of the belief that it’s bad practice to avoid going after a kid when you like him because you might have someone of the same mold in the fold next year, Robert Simmons (Class is ‘21) out of Jacksonville just asked the staff for an offer.

@reg Have you seen Simmons this year?

Edit: Phrasing

Last edited:
we do not need a slot corner to replace bandy this cycle. We already have Couch in the fold
Plus we need to stop assuming that all slot corners need to be small. You could have a 6'0+ slot corner. In fact, Al Blades would probably be a very good one. I hate how we automatically attribute the position to small guys. You play small guys in the slot because they're too small to play outside but not because that position calls for a small guy.

That’s what happens when you hire a $hitty unqualified head coach who wasn’t even a good recruiter when he was a defensive coordinator and has surrounded himself with a staff that doesn’t even have any business coaching at STA or Miami central. Smh Diaz will fail here and it will be his own doing and unfortunately for a us a slow burn.
1571066946556.gif

Advertisement
I dont think the staff really wanted him bro

Then it is pure stupidity to take his commitment and pure stupidity isn't the move either. Staff wonders why they have problems locally and would do that (And yes I know that isn't the only prob locally...ie gotta win, kids themselves are ********, no bags, etc)

And for the record I don't think that's what happened here. Kid is basically being a moron and recommitted.

Then it is pure stupidity to take his commitment and pure stupidity isn't the move either. Staff wonders why they have problems locally and would do that (And yes I know that isn't the only prob locally...ie gotta win, kids themselves are ********, no bags, etc)

And for the record I don't think that's what happened here. Kid is basically being a moron and recommitted.
I don’t know man. Catch 22 with recruiting down here. Kids want to make a business decision then so should we.
I know we ain’t bama or Clemson. But we can also make business decisions. The team the school the stadium is a much bigger business. The kid at the least got a lot of exposure for committing. It’s a 2 way street. Kids use us for exposure than we can use them for insurance bad look or not. Don’t you find it suspect that he bounced after uva? Maybe some better player caught the vapors while in attendance. Can’t be worried about hurt feelings anymore. Good luck to him he’ll end up in a good school. Kid probably had his hudl film watched by more coaches and schools after he committed.
Kids ain’t worried about how bad it looks for us when they decommit or the consequences it carries.

I don’t know man. Catch 22 with recruiting down here. Kids want to make a business decision then so should we.
I know we ain’t bama or Clemson. But we can also make business decisions. The team the school the stadium is a much bigger business. The kid at the least got a lot of exposure for committing. It’s a 2 way street. Kids use us for exposure than we can use them for insurance bad look or not. Don’t you find it suspect that he bounced after uva? Maybe some better player caught the vapors while in attendance. Can’t be worried about hurt feelings anymore. Good luck to him he’ll end up in a good school. Kid probably had his hudl film watched by more coaches and schools after he committed.
Kids ain’t worried about how bad it looks for us when they decommit or the consequences it carries.

A "business decision" would be not accepting commitment, dropping him for poor senior year (he's supposedly had a huge senior year after being a beast in 7-7 circuit)...JMO, I understand what you are saying to a certain extent

Advertisement
Back