DB Justin Hodges decommits

Flipping Clark from Illinois and ElGammal from Cinny I guess is a big recruiting flip. Christian Williams wasn't a take at the end for Bama even tho it was a big time get for us. My issue is the staff always believes they will flip or land a commit even tho it doesn't look like it

Ya they are totally out of touch with reality if a kid shows any interest at all.

It's like nah Banda, they are just being polite to you

Last edited:
Advertisement
The current lack of speed on our defense is really shocking. I miss the days when we would move CBs to safety, safeties to LB and so on and so forth to get as much athleticism on the field as possible. It seems like the last few years we move guys from the line back, lowering the overall speed.

No evidence we’re after him but considering it’s tough to be optimistic on Harrell I’d take a peek. When you can’t get DBs from the most fertile ground (regardless of the notion it’s a shallow class) you might as well look to the 2nd best.

We have Branch committed from the state and I like the idea of pairing a bigger corner with the athleticism and physicality of a smaller guy like Vance despite being lean.

My outside take 2¢.

Advertisement
Do we? We have and have had corners who can press and sustain tight coverage. We need a slot corner to replace Bandy and we need corners with ball skills.

This guy was a 3* rated the #62 safety by 247. He's 6'4 with gumby limbs and Orlovsky the broadcaster compared him to Nnamdi Asomugha. He had 3 picks off Fromm, 2 of which were incredible catches away from his frame.

We have a CB coach who can teach and develop. We should be recruiting long skilled corners who deter contested throws, and pick them when they get the chance. Hodges fit that general archetype but I'm sure we can find better with enough digging.
He was committed to FSU at one point and flipped to south carolina

No evidence we’re after him but considering it’s tough to be optimistic on Harrell I’d take a peek. When you can’t get DBs from the most fertile ground (regardless of the notion it’s a shallow class) you might as well look to the 2nd best.

We have Branch committed from the state and I like the idea of pairing a bigger corner with the athleticism and physicality of a smaller guy like Vance despite being lean.

My outside take 2¢.
I’ve been screaming this for months. Be more aggressive in Louisiana damnit

That dude from South Carolina is a freak show. Huge and coordinated. Look at how his size compares with Hodges out of high school:

Israel Mukuamu- 6’5, 184, no forty, 4.34 shuttle, 33.4 VJ

Justin Hodges- 6’1, 155, 4.89 forty, 4.35 shuttle, 31.3 VJ

I’ve seen Hodges up close and he’s not big. Thin shoulders, slight body. The guy that fits your model IMO is Daran Branch.

I wasn't trying to vouch for Hodges. I don't think he can stay with receivers out of breaks. He does have the length and ball skills to make plays as a boundary press corner, which is an area where Miami is struggling of late. I'd like to see us target more guys like that but they should bring more to the table than Hodges.

Rumph still evaluating...Yeah it's getting old. Mid October, Rumph should know everything possible there is to know by now.

That's nonsense. Locking in your evaluations early is how you miss the boat on emergent players. Texas got lazy under Mack Brown and loaded up on Jr. day commits and it depleted their talent level. These are teenage athletes and many of them take time to reach their athletic peak, develop or get an opportunity.

Unless we're loading up on blue chippers - newsflash, we aren't - there should be churn with the lower-end commits as better prospects are discovered. Midway through the HS season is the time when that kind of action should be heating up.

lolol I thought this was the blades family and there was no way he would never not be in this class...Ivey getting more burn over blades haunting us in multiple ways???

Advertisement
FSU has ranked above Clemson in recruiting classes five of the last six years. Did you happen to catch that total destruction of the Noles yesterday? So much for those "rankings."
You’ve got a good point as evaluations by skilled coaches with a gameplan is critical but there’s also an element of coaching that talent that looms large. It doesn’t seem like we’re getting much of either.

I wasn't trying to vouch for Hodges. I don't think he can stay with receivers out of breaks. He does have the length and ball skills to make plays as a boundary press corner, which is an area where Miami is struggling of late. I'd like to see us target more guys like that but they should bring more to the table than Hodges.

That's nonsense. Locking in your evaluations early is how you miss the boat on emergent players.

No, I'm not saying someone can't emerge, of course they do...I'm saying many of these names were there are all along, and should have been evaluated/ranked in tiers...These late offer, late fake offers, Pough gets fake offered early, Royal gets fake offered late. It's a circus.

No, I'm not saying someone can't emerge, of course they do...I'm saying many of these names were there are all along, and should have been evaluated/ranked in tiers...These late offer, late fake offers, Pough gets fake offered early, Royal gets fake offered late. It's a circus.

True. I'm not that well-versed in the names that fans circulate throughout the process. I evaluate the guys that are being recruited. Getting too invested is bad for my mental health.

I was referring to the late sleepers or OOS kids that become available or rise as Seniors. Obviously a totally different context.

Advertisement
We need to "kick the tires" ........

Don't know as to who; just wanted to use that cool sounding phrase in at least one post ....;)

True. I'm not that well-versed in the names that fans circulate throughout the process. I evaluate the guys that are being recruited. Getting too invested is bad for my mental health.

I was referring to the late sleepers or OOS kids that become available or rise as Seniors. Obviously a totally different context.

Fair enough..Yeah keep evaluating for sure, but it just seems like their board is one big cluster**k...Shouldn't be this hard, even if you miss on the top prospects.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back