Dawson Scheme notes



Interesting how Houston's Offense has swan dived into Oblivion over the last 2 seasons...

I wonder what happened?

Oh & if you see anybody ever suggest that we hire Joe Moorehead, in any capacity, hit them in the byke of their neck with a Sledgehammer.

Ok here's my question... Watching Iowa State, they load their backfield with extra players (TEs) for the first down run... Why not do that here with how much they love to run between the tackles? What's the upside in not doing that?
 
Read yesterday that we lead the country in 3rd down conversions…
Samuel L Jackson What GIF by Coming to America
 
Anybody noticing how less productive Houston’s Offense is today without Dawson?

No, just me?



Interesting how Houston's Offense has swan dived into Oblivion over the last 2 seasons...

I wonder what happened?

Oh & if you see anybody ever suggest that we hire Joe Moorehead, in any capacity, hit them in the byke of their neck with a Sledgehammer.

 
And there are still some people who think we should replace Dawson.

Is he perfect? No.. but there is no perfect coordinator. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.
As wild as it may sound, yes there are.

There's a portion of the fanbase that believes our Offensive success this season has been entirely due to Cam. Which is ironic, because many of those same people are simultaneously hyper-critical of Cam.
 
As wild as it may sound, yes there are.

There's a portion of the fanbase that believes our Offensive success this season has been entirely due to Cam. Which is ironic, because many of those same people are simultaneously hyper-critical of Cam.
You think he gets a look at one of G5 HC openings?
 
https://www.stateoftheu.com/miami-hurricanes-football/87213/the-miami-hurricanes-offense-in-26

The Wrap​

I hope you've enjoyed these mini documentaries on the different concepts that the Miami Hurricanes will run this season. Each video is three minutes or less in length for quick teaching of the concepts. If you want to learn more I've written about Mesh, 6, and other Air Raid concepts on SOTU for years.

With Darian Mensah having experience in the Air Raid at Duke I think Shannon Dawson has found a much more natural fit for his offense than Carson Beck. Expect a push back to the top-5 in SP+ Offense for the 'Canes this season with Cooper Barkate, Toney, and Mensah.

All-22 Review: Miami Offense vs. SMU Mustangs (2025)​




Above- I’ve never understood motioning your star only to directly throw him the ball to where he motioned to. It adds bodies and eyes to the POA instead of away from it. ie- motion Mark Fletcher away from Toney to put playmakers on opposite sides of the field and the motion to make eyes / adjustments go to Fletcher vs. Toney.



Above- As I said in the Twitter post, the Run & Shoot had some really good ideas. Toney is unCAPd as the DB over him is at 8y, the hard deck is 7y. In the R&S that means Toney would take a 1-step ‘now’ throw from Beck and get the 1st down that way. Instead, they motion him which is ineffective vs. man coverage (only one guy moves and he’s on Toney who is doing nothing) and the run is stuffed.
 
https://www.stateoftheu.com/miami-hurricanes-football/87213/the-miami-hurricanes-offense-in-26

The Wrap​

I hope you've enjoyed these mini documentaries on the different concepts that the Miami Hurricanes will run this season. Each video is three minutes or less in length for quick teaching of the concepts. If you want to learn more I've written about Mesh, 6, and other Air Raid concepts on SOTU for years.

With Darian Mensah having experience in the Air Raid at Duke I think Shannon Dawson has found a much more natural fit for his offense than Carson Beck. Expect a push back to the top-5 in SP+ Offense for the 'Canes this season with Cooper Barkate, Toney, and Mensah.

All-22 Review: Miami Offense vs. SMU Mustangs (2025)​




Above- I’ve never understood motioning your star only to directly throw him the ball to where he motioned to. It adds bodies and eyes to the POA instead of away from it. ie- motion Mark Fletcher away from Toney to put playmakers on opposite sides of the field and the motion to make eyes / adjustments go to Fletcher vs. Toney.



Above- As I said in the Twitter post, the Run & Shoot had some really good ideas. Toney is unCAPd as the DB over him is at 8y, the hard deck is 7y. In the R&S that means Toney would take a 1-step ‘now’ throw from Beck and get the 1st down that way. Instead, they motion him which is ineffective vs. man coverage (only one guy moves and he’s on Toney who is doing nothing) and the run is stuffed.

Is this @Ironmanfootball ?

Good stuff.
 
https://www.stateoftheu.com/miami-hurricanes-football/87213/the-miami-hurricanes-offense-in-26

The Wrap​

I hope you've enjoyed these mini documentaries on the different concepts that the Miami Hurricanes will run this season. Each video is three minutes or less in length for quick teaching of the concepts. If you want to learn more I've written about Mesh, 6, and other Air Raid concepts on SOTU for years.

With Darian Mensah having experience in the Air Raid at Duke I think Shannon Dawson has found a much more natural fit for his offense than Carson Beck. Expect a push back to the top-5 in SP+ Offense for the 'Canes this season with Cooper Barkate, Toney, and Mensah.

All-22 Review: Miami Offense vs. SMU Mustangs (2025)​




Above- I’ve never understood motioning your star only to directly throw him the ball to where he motioned to. It adds bodies and eyes to the POA instead of away from it. ie- motion Mark Fletcher away from Toney to put playmakers on opposite sides of the field and the motion to make eyes / adjustments go to Fletcher vs. Toney.



Above- As I said in the Twitter post, the Run & Shoot had some really good ideas. Toney is unCAPd as the DB over him is at 8y, the hard deck is 7y. In the R&S that means Toney would take a 1-step ‘now’ throw from Beck and get the 1st down that way. Instead, they motion him which is ineffective vs. man coverage (only one guy moves and he’s on Toney who is doing nothing) and the run is stuffed.

Who the fack is this? It's actual good stuff. Would love to see more of the analysis around short yardage tendencies and how we began to use Toney differently post-SMU (yes, I realize that's the first game Dawson lightly sprinkled him into the backfield).
 
Back
Top